Home

"Play Recognition" how it effects the the cpu QB scramble logic

This is a discussion on "Play Recognition" how it effects the the cpu QB scramble logic within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: "Play Recognition" how it effects the the cpu QB scramble logic

Would taking all option type teams and adjusting their recruiting model help?

QB = speed > Low
RB = speed > Low
FB = blocking > Med
WR = Any > Low
TE = blocking > Low
OL = blocking > High
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #66
Rookie

COACH WEBB's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm having some trouble. I only tried it once last night with one team, FSU. I lowered the LB's, DL, and DBs PR down to 50. In the practice mode, all of my guys dropped to their correct zones (cover 2 & 3). Then, when I went into the game mode and played against Oregon, the LBs got to their correct drops early on. However, as the game went on, the OLB never dropped to his correct spot. It was like a force-field making him cover the MLB's zone. It was like this BEFORE I made the edits recommended in this thread and I hate that because the CPU eats the zones up. Any suggestions?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
Option teams need high blocking footwork ratings from the HB and FB positions, similar to an average OL.

The problem is that the prospect classes don't generate such players at HB, barely generate any at FB, and the CPU teams do a terrible job at selecting talent based on scheme/philosophy/playbook.

I appreciate the work you're putting in, but the effort is only going to matter in the first 2 years or so of a dynasty. After that, EA will destroy any hard work you've done with their typical incompetence.

It's really a shame that these guys couldn't catch such common sense things and it will be a greater shame when they over-react to the opposite side of the spectrum next year as they always do.
Well you do have a point about the edits not lasting long

I've been doing all this stuff for the past 3-4 years with NCAA football......I've even debated with guys since August on how to remedy some of the situations by using ratings

It doesn't fix the problem for long term gameplay which i've stated in just about every ratings thread that has been created. But it does give you the chance to enjoy the best possible gameplay for a short amount of time around 2-4 years of dynasty mode

I figure 2-4 years of great gameplay is better than not having the chance to witness it at all right?

So alot of this is really things i've already spoken about and i explained to the OP in the slider thread it's a lot of work but the end results is well worth the time as he saw using some rosters i released with the ratings edits applied.

You just won't get the same type of gameplay on Sliders and Tuners alone

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14

Last edited by Playmakers; 12-07-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #68
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH WEBB
I'm having some trouble. I only tried it once last night with one team, FSU. I lowered the LB's, DL, and DBs PR down to 50. In the practice mode, all of my guys dropped to their correct zones (cover 2 & 3). Then, when I went into the game mode and played against Oregon, the LBs got to their correct drops early on. However, as the game went on, the OLB never dropped to his correct spot. It was like a force-field making him cover the MLB's zone. It was like this BEFORE I made the edits recommended in this thread and I hate that because the CPU eats the zones up. Any suggestions?
So are you saying you want your LB's to play better zone coverage ? If so then you will have to raise their zone coverage attribute to at least 85. By default FSU LB's have piss poor zone coverage.

I tested this out last night with Air Force's LBs. I raised their zone coverage to 85 and made sure their awareness was no lower then 75. They covered the middle and sidelines of the field tight as hell. I wasn't able to throw slants and crossing patterns over the middle with ease any more. Same thing with flares and out patterns.

Mainly because they tracked the players coming into their area way better and if they seen a ball thrown they would hit that player as soon as they went to catch it. And depending on the WR's or TE's catch and CIT rating they will drop the ball when hit half of the time.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #69
Rookie

COACH WEBB's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
So are you saying you want your LB's to play better zone coverage ? If so then you will have to raise their zone coverage attribute to at least 85. By default FSU LB's have piss poor zone coverage.
Yes. The OLB just doesn't get to where he needs to be. He basically follows the MLB when I run 2 or 3, leaving his zone wide open.

Quote:
I tested this out last night with Air Force's LBs. I raised their zone coverage to 85 and made sure their awareness was no lower then 75. They covered the middle and sidelines of the field tight as hell. I wasn't able to throw slants and crossing patterns over the middle with ease any more. Same thing with flares and out patterns.

Mainly because they tracked the players coming into their area way better and if they seen a ball thrown they would hit that player as soon as they went to catch it. And depending on the WR's or TE's catch and CIT rating they will drop the ball when hit half of the time.
Ok, I will have to be sure to check everything that you listed and I'll get back to you. Again, thanks for the help with this. Wonderful thread. Keep it up and please reveal more as you test more.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #70
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Ok new additional discovery. For some reason I have noticed from looking at rosters is that for the option teams, spread teams, pistol teams their offensive line is slow as hell. Most of them blocking is good but if it isn't then yeah you will want to raise their run block to 90.

Far as raising the Run Block Strength or Run Block Footwork to 90, I say look at the weight of the player. If they below 300 pounds then use footwork.

How fast you might ask to make the line men ? Well from doing a simple sort of all the individual offensive linemen by position, the fastest I seen was 85 to 88 across the board. And that pretty much all from one school too, Middle Tennessee State, I thought holy crap that school has a fast line.

Once again linemen under 300, 80 speed, linemen over 300 pounds give them 70 to 75.

This will give them an even field going against the defensive line because the whole dline 70 to 88 speed across the board. What is even worse is a lot of them have above 90 acceleration too.

Which brings me back to the oline, make sure their acceleration is in the 90s too. And their awareness level at 85. What this will do is get them in position better and more importantly faster. Because by default they were pulling too damn slow.

Ironic only the option, spread and pistol teams had slow and dumb lineman.

When I looked at the pro, air raid, run n shoot, single back and multiple teams their offensive line stats were way better by default.

For option teams you going to want to apply the same ratings for their full backs, because full backs play a huge role in the option when it comes to blocking.

I set my sliders with an OK State Dynasty (which interestingly pretty much mirrored RL win, stats, etc.) and then moved on to 3 years or Run and Shoot w/ SMU, with similar accurate result...

I wanted to switch it up, so I'm now running a Pistol offence with UCLA in dynasty and you are right...the run blocking has taken a major dump...

It seems like every handoff is a "delay", in that the QB / HB exchange takes a hitch longer and the linemen can't hold their blocks long enough to keep the play from getting stuffed...

The outside runs and counters seem fine, but the up the gut stuff is very flawed...

You are most certainly on to something (again) with the impact that altering the OL attributes for the Pistol run game...

Thanks for the confirmation!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #71
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
For some of the lower priority locomotions that players are only in for a short time (qb running with his hand out for a handoff for example) we ported the old data into the new system.

NCAA Dev Team - Locomotion Chat April 14
That in bold is one of the main problems the spread offense is broken. They using the old QB hand off system. That is system is too slow and causes the hold play to break down. Therefore you have to up the run blocking and speed of the lineman to make it work.

Like the old saying goes, your team is only as strong as your weakest link. And that weak link of the QB hand off system is dragging the whole spread offense team down, along with the piss poor run blocking and speed they give option, pistol and spread offensive linemen.

Spread is based on speed and blocking. If the people can't hold their block long enough it won't work. If the pulling guards can't get to the outside fast enough it won't work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #72
Hail West Virginia

mtoo22's Arena

OVR: 10

Almost finished with the complete 360 set. Hope to have them up this evening. Sorry for the delay.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »