Home

Fumbles Are Way Too Easy to Recover

This is a discussion on Fumbles Are Way Too Easy to Recover within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Fumbles Are Way Too Easy to Recover

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
This probably isn't news to anyone who has been playing this game, but this is one huge beef for me with this game. It is way too easy to pick up a fumble and run with it. This creates way, way too many fumble returns for a touchdowns. In real life, you rarely ever see a defender pick up a fumble and run with it, yet it happens in this game all the time. This is especially a problem when a fumble happens in the flats or in the backfield. Oftentimes, a faster defender will scoop the ball right up and take off for a touchdown.

This is something I'd definitely wish EA would fix for NCAA 12. It's been a problem for the entirety of next-gen EA Sports football.

EDIT: I should add that in my current game four defensive touchdowns have been scored. I've returned two interceptions while my opponent has returned two fumbles. Very irritating... I'm losing 41-14 in the third quarter, too.
I agree, there should definitely be more variation in how fumbles are picked up. A player's ability to scoop a fumble and run with it should be related somewhat to their carry or catch rating, or make a fumble recovery rating to determine that. You really only see guys scoop up a fumble on the run when they're in the clear, except for a rare occasion. In this game, you see guys just bend over and pick up the ball with 4-5 guys trying to dive on the ball. And how many times do you see 5-6 guys jump on the ball only to see it squirt out or take a crazy bounce out of their reach. Add in some irregularity to fumble recoveries. I liked the idea from Madden of the pile up (without the button mashing, just the animation) because those things happen all the time with fumbles during gang tackles or in a high volume area. I want to be in suspense if my guy picked up a fumble when there's a big pile.

These are the small things that, if implemented correctly, would add so much to the game in my opinion
Old 12-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Rookie

sleepyeagle's Arena

OVR: 3

I had these problems too before I started using SECelite's sliders. Since then none of this has happened. I'm not saying that it would fix everyone's problems, but it certainly helps my game. The dreaded "qb-sack-interception" hasn't happened, defensive TDs are extremely rare, and fumble recoveries are realistic (the closest guy usually falls on it).

Before I started using these sliders, I had a Miami Dynasty where my defense scored almost as much as my offense.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Not to go too off-topic, but one major problem that affects this, and the game itself, is that it's too reliant on canned animations. There is no TRUE physics model here so the game simply applies a situation appropriate animation to the on field action. QB gets hit while throwing? Go to ball pops into the air animation. Same every time. A true physics model (a better version of something like Backbreaker) would introduce the true randomness that a football game really needs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 9

I also agree with the OP. It's been a real annoyance as I've tried to have a realistic dynasty. I just finished the 2010 regular season with WVU and there have been 9 defensive TDs (5 TD, 4 fumbles).

Most (if not all) of the fumble return TDs came from my opponents, since when my team recovers a fumble, I will often switch to the defender who picks up a fumble and make them dive just to avoid the easy score. It sucks that I had to start doing this, because it prevents me from being able to use player lock.

I've also restarted several games that had fumble return TDs. The INT returns I can handle, but the fumble returns are usually 300 lb linemen outrunning everyone for 50+ yard TDs, and it's just stupid.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #13

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

What level are you guys playing on? I am at the tail end of year 5 of my dynasty on Heisman level and I think I see MAYBE 2 to 3 fumble return TDs per season.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU
Old 12-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
MVP

Maxattax3's Arena

OVR: 19

User vs. User online dynasty game

UF vs. UGA (Year 4)

I forced 6 fumbles and didnt recover any of them.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyeagle
I had these problems too before I started using SECelite's sliders. Since then none of this has happened.
Ditto...playing this game on default sliders vs. SECelite's slider set on AA is like night and day. Not only is the CPU more challenging but the overall gameplay is just alot better
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »