Home

4-2-5 Defense

This is a discussion on 4-2-5 Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
Rookie

Savvy's Arena

OVR: 0
4-2-5 Defense

I am using this in my new dynasty, building up Rice's program based on speed using Florida's spread option and a 4-2-5 defense.

However, I've never used this defensive scheme before in NCAA 11 and notice a lot of holes in my zone coverage and QBs having ample time to throw even with blitz packages.

I have two questions:

1) What are the most effective plays in this playbook and in which formations are they found?

2) Are my problems more based on the terrible ratings Rice's defensive players have rather than poor play selection?
Penn State Nittany Lions
Real Madrid

Last edited by Savvy; 01-03-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #2
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: 4-2-5 Defense

Having been a 4-2-5 user for a while, I can tell you that its a specialty playbook. It will shut down spread options and spread run attacks in general, and strongly limit regular options. It struggles against pro style teams that run the ball a majority of the time and against pass heavy spread teams.

In real life, the 4-2-5 shuts down spread passing attacks too, but not on this game. If your opponent comes out in a 4 WR set, the AI is flawed in a way to where you will likely see a linebacker who is supposed to be covering a WR deep inside the box rather than on top of his man, leaving him wide open. So, if your opponent comes out in 4 or 5 WR set, you should pick a dime formation and not 4-2-5. That should help a lot if you're giving up big gains in the air.

The 4-2-5 struggles against outside runs because there are so many guys in the box. If you predict an outside run, then spread your linebackers and pick a play that has a QB spy or DE contain. (There are TONS of plays that have those).

As for your question, I personally find most plays to be equally effective. The Pinch Blitz does stand out. If you can guess the direction of the run and blitz in that direction you will shut it down. It also works great at getting pressure. Other than that, most plays are equally effective in my experience.

I would also say that you're probably struggling a little bit because of Rice's skill, but if you try out these tips you should be alright.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Rookie

KennyLSU's Arena

OVR: 5

I ran the 4-2-5 for a while but I kept getting burned by pro-style offenses as Blast mentioned. I have since moved to a 3-3-5 and haven't looked back. The array of zone and man blitzes is unmatched. Plus you have a 3-4 package.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyLSU
I ran the 4-2-5 for a while but I kept getting burned by pro-style offenses as Blast mentioned. I have since moved to a 3-3-5 and haven't looked back. The array of zone and man blitzes is unmatched. Plus you have a 3-4 package.
Actually thinking of going the other direction, 4-2-5 is weak vs power running true, but 3-3-5 is just DESTROYED by it, and I just got invited to the Big 10. Look at Michigan's D this year to see what happens when you bring a 3-3-5 up against Wisconsin and tOSU.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Rookie

lil_taul's Arena

OVR: 2

i have no problem running the 4 2 5. especially on a blitz, it really gets after the qb, big time.... in my dynasty, i held 2 teams to zero points this season
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

I've never tried the 4-2-5, but I'm curious if anyone has tried the 2-4-5 formation? I know it's not an entire scheme by itself, but I'm wonder what sort of success anyone is having with it out of the nickel. I feel if you choose it anticipating a pass, like on a 3rd and long, you will get gashed by a run, especially a draw. Otherwise I get some good results against pass plays.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
I've never tried the 4-2-5, but I'm curious if anyone has tried the 2-4-5 formation? I know it's not an entire scheme by itself, but I'm wonder what sort of success anyone is having with it out of the nickel. I feel if you choose it anticipating a pass, like on a 3rd and long, you will get gashed by a run, especially a draw. Otherwise I get some good results against pass plays.
I use it on passing downs when im in a 34 scheme because I like the rush it provides. It is pretty weak vs run but it's not too bad. Not so much that theyll pick up the 3rd and long with it. I really love the rush it provides over 4DL nickel with a 34 (unless I do formation subs, it generates NO rush) or 335 Nickel because I don't feel like I get the same kind of rush from the OLBs.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redicular
Actually thinking of going the other direction, 4-2-5 is weak vs power running true, but 3-3-5 is just DESTROYED by it, and I just got invited to the Big 10. Look at Michigan's D this year to see what happens when you bring a 3-3-5 up against Wisconsin and tOSU.
Perhaps in real life but not in this game. The only time I have every gotten ran on using 335 is versus a drastically superior (A+ vs C) team. If you know the right defenses to call 335 can shut the run game down completely.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »