Home

Your thoughts: Personal Sportsmanship in online dynasties

This is a discussion on Your thoughts: Personal Sportsmanship in online dynasties within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Your thoughts: Personal Sportsmanship in online dynasties

So I play in a pretty competitive and intense online dynasty... some relatives, some long time sports buds, and some other, newer acquaintances. Some with great skill, some with lesser skill, some with a keen eye for "sportsmanship", others not so much, but all of us are passionate about football and have a lot of knowledge of the game. We all would like the game to be more 'realistic' than 'arcade', but we know there's a limit to that because, in fact, it is a video game.

For those of you in ODs, how have you addressed situations where players show no regard for others in human vs human games (running the score up, going for it on 4th and 30 on their own 20 when up, kicking onside kicks every time, etc....) stuff that just flies in the face of conventional football... (Another example - before they fixed the pump fake glitch, what if a player exploited that regularly... how would you address this?)

Do you try and legislate against it? Do you just let it happen and say oh well its just a game? I'd like to hear some experiences the rest of you have had...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Your thoughts: Personal Sportsmanship in online dynasties

Exploiting some kind of glitch in the game is lame, IMHO.

Playing unconventionally, such as never punting, onsides kicks, etc.... is totally fine, and can easily be negated by a player who knows what they're doing.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Rookie

Alright Hazey let me play devil's advocate on your response... I agree that if the two players are of equal skill you may have to try unconventional tactics to get the upper hand... but what if its a clearly dominant player taking advantage of a lesser skilled guy in the league (and we're many seasons in, so its obvious who are and who arent the top dogs)... just running the score up for no reason... doing things clearly without regard for the other person, rubbing their nose in it once the game has clearly been decided, etc...

...in your opinion is there any difference?

Last edited by DrAnguish; 01-06-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

I have an OD (OneHumanPerConference #4 on the EA Dynasty Best Dynasties Page) with 12 players. We're about to embark on season 4 and there has been some churn (players being replaced) but sometimes you have to prune and nurture it over a few seasons to get a solid group. Don't hesitate to get rid of guys who don't fit your vision for the dynasty.

In mine we don't allow exploits, running up the score to insane proportions (i.e. with a big lead 2nd stringer should be in), cheesing etc and everyone keeps a sharp eye out to make sure that doesn't happen.

One thing that is very hard is when you have a couple guy who are just legitimately much better than everyone else. If someone dominates utterly for two seasons they either have to retire or take over a bottom feeder. That makes it hard if they're good members, but you can't have one guy just ruling the dynasty nonstop. It takes away the fun of the other guys.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Pro

thbends's Arena

OVR: 9

The real questions is.... why do you have guys in your league who play like that? 4th and 30 and they go for it? CUT THEM. Running up the score on human opponents? CUT THEM. There is NO place for it at all. One bad owner will run off more good owners then you know.

I run a OD that has been around since NFL 2k5. Here's my Golden Rule. Quality over Quantity. There is no reason to try to fill every spot in your league just to say you did it. You will have a far better time and dedicated players if you recruit quality owners for your teams. My leagues usually have half the teams full and sometimes we push in to the low 20s in numbers.

Sportsmanship is KEY! Respect is KEY! If you show none of it then you are gone. We rarely have issues with that sort of thing because we recruit our owners and they have to come with references from current players.

Because our league is full of guys mostly in their 30s and have families when we have time to sit down and play a game we want a good experience. Running our league like this means that even guys who rarely have a winning record don't leave the league. It's still enjoyable for them.

Since you have a league with friends in it that you know and trust do what I do. Yes I run the league but it's not "MY" League. I have a core group of guys I know and trust. When issues arise, and they will, I consult them. Sort of like a League Committee. We decide what actions to take together while going over the facts. That way when actions are needed like cutting an owner loose you are not having to listen to everyone in the league but it's not all on you to decide these things.

A good starting point... cut ALL owners who do not show others respect or good sportsmanship right away. No questions asked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Pro

thbends's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
I have an OD (OneHumanPerConference #4 on the EA Dynasty Best Dynasties Page) with 12 players. We're about to embark on season 4 and there has been some churn (players being replaced) but sometimes you have to prune and nurture it over a few seasons to get a solid group. Don't hesitate to get rid of guys who don't fit your vision for the dynasty.

In mine we don't allow exploits, running up the score to insane proportions (i.e. with a big lead 2nd stringer should be in), cheesing etc and everyone keeps a sharp eye out to make sure that doesn't happen.

One thing that is very hard is when you have a couple guy who are just legitimately much better than everyone else. If someone dominates utterly for two seasons they either have to retire or take over a bottom feeder. That makes it hard if they're good members, but you can't have one guy just ruling the dynasty nonstop. It takes away the fun of the other guys.
We sound of like mind. Sounds like you have a great league!

Where is this...EA Dynasty Best Dynasties Page?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Rookie

I dig the responses fellas. I guess this league is a bit different in the fact that a lot of the people involved are tied together in other ways, so simply 'cutting a guy' isn't that simple... guys play in basketball leagues together, some go to the same church, some are relatives, most play fantasy football together, some are roommates, others work together, etc... so there are actual face to face relationships with most of the guys... so we must communicate (which we have been doing recently) to try and set some personal conduct ground rules...

And FTR, I don't run the league, but am very active in it (the commish and I actually tag team many sports functions, leagues, etc... in some I am the commish with his assistance, in others he's the commish and I'm just an active member)...

I will say I FULLY agree with what you guys all say... I am probably one of the biggest proponents of sportsmanship of the guys I know... I'm a pretty fun loving guy, but ask anyone that's ever taken the court or field with me in sports... nothing raises my ire and turns me into the Incredible Hulk like someone showing disrespect or poor sportsmanship... it just isn't me...

BULLET SPONGE: Question for you: you say all the guys in your dyansty keep a keen eye out for guys doing things against your understanding in the league (cheesing, not putting in backups, etc...)... so let's say you catch someone doing that... is it an automatic cut, or how do you confront them?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Pro

thbends's Arena

Well now sportsmanship among friends is a little different. I can deal with a little trash talking among guys I actually know. I can deal with running up the score when playing guys I know as well.

I guess it all depends on your attitude about the league and your vision for it.

If you want the guys to chill out some then you should simply ask them to.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »