Home

Building a Better NCAA Football 12

This is a discussion on Building a Better NCAA Football 12 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Building a Better NCAA Football 12

Well you know me, SCRAMBLING QBs. Players with the scrambling tendancy should take off way more then any other QB. In reality most scrambling QBs always look to run 1st when given the chance to and pass 2nd, since most QBs of this type aren't good throwers to begin with.

Over all all QBs in this game should take off when the pocket collaspe and they see a freakin DL coming right at them instead of just sitting there. And for the love of all mighty, have QBs move to the left side of the field sometimes instead of side stepping all the way to the right all the time.

Zone blocking needs to be better tuned too or they need to dial back the block shedding of the DEs in this game. Way too many times I see DEs blow by Tackles. And even worse then that, majority of the time the RBs and FBs don't even pick up the guy, instead they just stand there and watch the QB get bull dozed.

Read option needs to be improved, the CPU really don't execute this play correctly. Mainly because the Tackle not only lets the DE go free, but they ALSO let the OLB go free as well against a 4 DL defense. You can't have both go free.

Stiff arms in this game needs to be greatly improved as well. It really doesn't do anything when the user uses it and only works 5% of the time when the cpu uses it. Stiff arms suppose to push people back up off you.

Game would be so much better if weight actually mattered. No way should a 170 pound RB be able to steam roll over a 330 pound DT. I know last year they talked about linemen getting pushed back, but on passing plays you really don't see it at all. On passing plays DL either gets through or they get knocked to the ground.

Snaps shouldn't be automatic success either. Their should be a snap rating for centers. Where as if they are a freshman or sophmore they should do some bad snaps half the time. Or if they getting dominated all game by a beast of a DT, they should mess up sometimes because they worried about blocking that beast.

Weather should have more of an effect on snaps too. When it is raining, windy or snowing, centers should do more bad snaps on shotgun formations because of the slippery ball.

Punts blocks need to be in this game. Makes no sense I had NCAA 11 since release day and never seen a punt block in this game. Never even got close to one because there is no penetration what so ever, it is like an invisible force field break wall. Punts being blocked is a huge part of college football, it happens every saturday in real life.

CPU AI ball carrier logic needs to be improved too. They still do a lot of dumb things at times that make you say why the hell they go that way for when the other way was wide open ?

More fake plays by the cpu. CPU needs to do way more fake punts and fake FGs, I think I only seen the cpu do a fake punt only once.

A much improved Game planning is needed, game planning should be the way Madden 11 has it, in the sense you actually get to choose the play that is called the most for different situations. And for the love of all that is mighty, let it be for play now games along with dynasty mode games. And allow you to game plan for the cpu controlled teams as well as the user controlled teams.

I am sick of seeing the same 5 plays called 98% of the time. I am sick of seeing them throw a deep route on a 3rd and 2 situation.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Rookie

stcloudgopher's Arena

OVR: 0

1. Defense - With you 100% with the defensive problems. I LOVE a 13-6 game that has me freaking out when the opposing team passes midfield. As much fun as it is hitting my big WR down the sideline for a 70-yard TD, there is something (more?) to be said for being able to grind out a drive against a quality defense. Add in the inability to use slants and streaks at will, improve the passing arc (therefore keeping those LBs on the ground) and adding the ability to use a game-breaking DL would help the defensive part of the game to the nth degree.

2. Spread/option/spread option - This has officially become the offense in college football. Over the past few seasons, teams have tinkered with it. Now the Heisman is decided by it. RBs are recruited for it. And (back to No. 1) defenses are completely baffled by it. This is easily the biggest problem facing this franchise. But if No. 1 isn't fixed, we'll either get the same problems that the current game has, or the pendulum will swing too far in one direction.

3. Coaching carousel - This is actually my No. 1, but I cannot allow it to be based on the fact that gameplay rules all. I'd love to see coaches (and coordinators) matter, but not at the cost of actual in-game issues like above. That said, this HAS to be in the next version if I am going to be 100% on board. If a carousel indeed comes to fruition, I hope there is a coordinator aspect to it as well. Along with that is the progression of your coach. In the role of coordinator, and you have to work your way up the ladder. After a successful year or two as a coordinator, imagine the problem of being offered the chance to be a head coach at UConn, or taking a coordinator spot at Florida. Both would have a positive effect on your profile. Maybe being a head coach adds prestige while staying an assistant adds experience. I would love to see an AD mode as well. Being able to build a stadium, and add-on when the time comes, would be fun.

4. Blocking/play action - The pocket is better than ever, that I can say. But the broken play action system makes setting up those plays worthless. I understand that the PA pass is not a guarantee, but it's not a guaranteed sack for the D, either. Run blocking is pretty solid, though a good tuner set is needed to not put 400+ on the state sheet every week. Downfield blocking by receivers is spotty -- exactly how it should be.

5. Other issues - A few quick thoughts on some other not-so-big, but sometimes-glaring problems:
a. Special teams - Have yet to block a FG/PAT, and get a punt once every 10 games or so. I don't expect one every game, but if there was a way to emphasize it (through a coaching carousel/slider) then I could try to play Beamer Ball. If I discourage the block, and want to return instead, then allow me the now-impossible chance of returning a punt.
b. Dynasty recruiting - Something must be done about promises and points. The promises do not seem to carry enough weight, and I would love to see a recruit tell me that Mack Brown promised not to RS him, would I do the same? Points wise, well, I'm not sure what to say. The "-1" thing is irritating, as is seeing a guy soft commit in week 7 only to stay there while teams 3 and 4 catch up, then hard commit in week 14. It seems like a waste of time and effort.
c. Dynasty issues - There are several pressing issues within the Dynasty mode. Recruits, both in initial ability and progression, leaves something to be desired. I have had more than one season where there are no RBs with A+ speed and B+ or better acceleration. I get a lot of "speed" backs that have B speed and C+ acceleration. Fix it.
A more glaring issue with recruiting is teams not recruiting to their strength. Georgia Tech taking a pocket passer, Miami hoarding 7 QBs while running out a 55-overall kicker. Talent is spread among the very top teams, and only gets worse as the years pass by.
Another thing that gets worse the deeper into a Dynasty you go: undefeated teams. Seven 0-loss teams at the end of the regular season is nothing shocking here. I've even resorted to not using any team that is not in the SEC or B1G 10. In one of my Dynasties, Texas put up a 56-game win streak -- and never even sniffed the title game. In that same Dynasty, Miami had a 36-game streak with only one NC game appearance, while Penn State won five titles while Bama (4), Oregon (4) and USC (3) have also dominated through 22 seasons. (Washington won the 2010 title in that Dynasty. Yeah.)
Old 01-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 33
Excellent Blog & some great comments. Lets hope after a big step last year EA don't just go through the motions this time around.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
Rookie

One thing i can say that everybody likes, is the little stuff. Like uniforms ,shoes, and gear, i like the dirty uniforms that have come, but one thing that i would like to see is even dirtier uniforms if in muddy or just a hard hitting game: Make the numbers dirty , if your running back is running his legs off make one of his socks slide down, and if i quaterback gets hit hard enough make there shoulder pads come out of jerseys, aslo another little thing is the clarity, if your playing at oregon, then the turf should look so green that it looks like your in the stands, if its artifical turf then when someone is running make the dirt come up, or turf. The last thing i would like to see is add double hitting like when if some one is getting wraped up then someone else can come detroy him. thats all
Old 01-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
Rookie

in dynasty mode, let me pick what i want to "pitch" to recruits. makes no sense that it picks a random topic.

the game needs more actual band songs and crowd chants that really happen at games. i know at every Bama game, the band plays several songs and cheers (Rammer Jammer!). those need to be in the game to give it a more realistic feel.

custom playbooks! that was in the game a few years ago.

this one is probably wishful thinking, but i'd like to be able to edit existing team uniforms. it would be cool to be able to give alabama an updated alternate uniform.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
Rookie

I think a big thing they could do is add more jerseys and jersey options. One of the most frustrating things is not having multiple jersey options. I was even willing to use Microsoft Points to buy them. Adding this will make each team seem more real
Old 01-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

Oh yeah........a much improved commentary where as they actually talk about what is going on in the field and in dynasty talk about how a player been doing all season long and how they did last game.

In the second half of the game they should talk about how a player did in the 1st half. They need an actual halftime and post game show too.

I swear the commentary hasn't changed since NCAA 2000. They still using the same lines over and over again.

Hit stick needs to be greatly improved upon. If I push up on it, I should hit the guy up high, if I push down on it, I should hit the guy in the legs. The way they got it now, you just hit the guy in the gut.

Over all they need different types of tackles you can do. High tackles, low tackles, shoulder tackles, wrap tackles up high, wrap tackles down low.

I remember years NCAA Gamebreaker had this and it was awesome to have a variety of tackles a user could do. More user control. Hell NFL 2k5 had that too.

Along with the different type of shoulder charges and spins a user could do while running the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #16
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhdawgs
I think a big thing they could do is add more jerseys and jersey options. One of the most frustrating things is not having multiple jersey options. I was even willing to use Microsoft Points to buy them. Adding this will make each team seem more real
Umm no, I am not for having to buy stuff that should be in the game for free. Besides Ben the producer already said some jerseys aren't in the game because the school themselves don't want that particular jersey in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »