Home

4-3 vs 3-4

This is a discussion on 4-3 vs 3-4 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 3
4-3 vs 3-4

Just wondering what you all think is better to use, mainly against other users?

I actually like the 3-4 better IRL and am trying to make it work in the game, but I am finding it much harder to make it work in this game. I can stop the run, but I am having a very hard time getting pressure on the QB.

I recently did an OD with a 4-3 and found it much much easier to play with in terms of getting to the QB. I'm not really sure why, the defense I was using wasn't amazing or anything.

I'm considering just moving to the 4-3, but want to know if anyone runs a 3-4 and thinks they have an amzaing defense? I don't want to give up on it if you can make it work and be elite with it, but I'm starting to get passed all over in my OD's, sometimes even against the cpu.

Are their specific ways of working the game and not cheesing to use a 3-4, or do some of ya'll think it's just easier to play with a 4-3 in terms of getting to the QB?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Rookie

209vaughn's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: 4-3 vs 3-4

All my comments are referring to player vs. player.

---

IMO 3-4 works not as well against the run. Nothing like having two big DTs to fill up the lanes against the runs. The flipside is that it seems a little easier to hit the edges (toss, strechs) against the 4-3.

Now with that said, most people tend to avoid running between the tackles, so therefore I run the 3-4.

Now since IMO its virtually impossible to get regular pressure on the QB whether you send 3, 4 or 5 guys... So I prefer to run the 3-4, and have only my 3 DLs pressure the QB, leaving all 4 LBs to go into zone or man. Most people who play online throw first and run second, so I like to sit in zones with aggresive pass coverage, rather than send the house on a blitz.

NCAA 11 HUGELY favors the offense in the passing game. WR's are too good, safeties are too way too stupid, QB's scramble and throw too effectively, rarely can get pressure on QB with 4 or 5 guys.

So with all that rambling, id rather just sit back in zones and play a bend-dont-break style defense.... Most people will eventually make a dumb pass or two throughout the game.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209vaughn
All my comments are referring to player vs. player.

---

IMO 3-4 works not as well against the run. Nothing like having two big DTs to fill up the lanes against the runs. The flipside is that it seems a little easier to hit the edges (toss, strechs) against the 4-3.

Now with that said, most people tend to avoid running between the tackles, so therefore I run the 3-4.

Now since IMO its virtually impossible to get regular pressure on the QB whether you send 3, 4 or 5 guys... So I prefer to run the 3-4, and have only my 3 DLs pressure the QB, leaving all 4 LBs to go into zone or man. Most people who play online throw first and run second, so I like to sit in zones with aggresive pass coverage, rather than send the house on a blitz.

NCAA 11 HUGELY favors the offense in the passing game. WR's are too good, safeties are too way too stupid, QB's scramble and throw too effectively, rarely can get pressure on QB with 4 or 5 guys.

So with all that rambling, id rather just sit back in zones and play a bend-dont-break style defense.... Most people will eventually make a dumb pass or two throughout the game.
That's a good break down thanks. I have been playing 3-4 and then trying to send 4-5 guys only to have the offense usually pick them up and get picked apart. I think I will try and reverse that to stay more back, and the maybe blitz rarely.

I'm seeing in recruiting for a 3-4 that weight doesn't play a big factor in the game, so I should maybe just completely ignore the weight and quit trying to recruit strength in DT's and moving them to DE.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
MVP

WizKhid's Arena

OVR: 10

I'm not much of an online player but when i do i usually go with the 3-4

when i work the 3-4 i usually blitz my 2 outside linebackers and the MLB that covers the RB and i usually get to the QB no problem or make em throw bad passes against my coverage. That usually works for me about 70% of the time when I'm not in zone coverage ( which is all i run mostly)

Miami Hurricanes|Houston Texans|Sacramento Kings
Old 01-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

4-3 is better because the 3-4 lacks the fundamental concept in this game that makes it work. Big 350 pound DL are blocked by 1 guy. Really defeats the purpose of how the formation is set up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21

im a 4-3 guy. I can get pressure with a DE and i dont need to blitz keeping my LBs in coverage. my roommate loves the 3-4 but i destroy him through the running game. I just feel there are too many holes in the 3-4 in the game
Old 01-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
Banned

1GATOR FAN's Arena

OVR: 9

Idk I've had some good success stopping the run with the 3-4....

But the 4-3 is probably better overall at stopping the run. I like the 3-4 because if someone likes to pass a lot it hides coverage better. You never know what LB is coming in the blitz

But I'm a 3-3-5 guy myself but I've tried them all.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:09 AM   #8
Banned

devinewon's Arena

OVR: 9

3-4 is superior because it can stop the runs to the outside. The 4-3 lacks proper containment. 3-4 also lets you put together more exotic coverages although that really doesn't matter in this years game because anyone can pick apart any defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »