Home

DBs are insane

This is a discussion on DBs are insane within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Rookie

davemay135's Arena

OVR: 6
DBs are insane

Here's my frustration: I line up with 4 receivers about to do vertical routes. The D is in man. The corner on my slot receiver (right side) comes in on a blitz and the SS slides to cover the Z receiver. The FS had the TE on the inside vertical. I wish I could show you how wide open my slot receiver is going to be! Stats: My slot receiver is a 92 speed, 76 OVR, the CB on the Z receiver is a 91 speed, 85 OVR. My QB's throw power and accuracy are 88 and 92 respectively. My sliders are set to default.

Based on these stats, the following should not have happened. In the split second it took to wipe the drool off my mouth, I TAPPED the button for the slot receiver. The Z CB noticed the open receiver about 5 yards in front and 7 yards to the right of the streaking slot. As the slot is passing the same yard line as the Z CB, the Z CB is starting to backpedal and slide. This is about when the throw is made. The blitzing CB was picked up by the HB and the QB was under no pressure. Again, I tapped the button and the QB shoudl be able to pass to hit the slot in stride. Yup, you guessed it, the CB closed by OUTRUNNING the faster slot who was passing him as he was starting to backpedal and was able to jump to knock the ball away. EA, I'm raising the BS flag on this one! This current Big 12 Champ game has been full of LBs batting taps away to slanting WRs and it's getting annoying.

Rock Chalk Chickenhawk - F KU!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: DBs are insane

Hell, at least your RB was able to pick up the blitzing corner But yes, this is EA's way of making up for crummy AI. They allow players to ignore the locomotion engine by having animations that have defenders jump really high and to any direction, and to do this regularly.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Banned

devinewon's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemay135
Here's my frustration: I line up with 4 receivers about to do vertical routes. The D is in man. The corner on my slot receiver (right side) comes in on a blitz and the SS slides to cover the Z receiver. The FS had the TE on the inside vertical. I wish I could show you how wide open my slot receiver is going to be! Stats: My slot receiver is a 92 speed, 76 OVR, the CB on the Z receiver is a 91 speed, 85 OVR. My QB's throw power and accuracy are 88 and 92 respectively. My sliders are set to default.

Based on these stats, the following should not have happened. In the split second it took to wipe the drool off my mouth, I TAPPED the button for the slot receiver. The Z CB noticed the open receiver about 5 yards in front and 7 yards to the right of the streaking slot. As the slot is passing the same yard line as the Z CB, the Z CB is starting to backpedal and slide. This is about when the throw is made. The blitzing CB was picked up by the HB and the QB was under no pressure. Again, I tapped the button and the QB shoudl be able to pass to hit the slot in stride. Yup, you guessed it, the CB closed by OUTRUNNING the faster slot who was passing him as he was starting to backpedal and was able to jump to knock the ball away. EA, I'm raising the BS flag on this one! This current Big 12 Champ game has been full of LBs batting taps away to slanting WRs and it's getting annoying.
If you are playing on Heisman then let me tell you that the computer blatantly cheats. All of your players stats are reduced and all of their players stats are increased. Then they blatantly cheat on top of that.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Rookie

davemay135's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinewon
If you are playing on Heisman then let me tell you that the computer blatantly cheats. All of your players stats are reduced and all of their players stats are increased. Then they blatantly cheat on top of that.
Thanks for saying that because that's something I should have mentioned. I've recently graduated from Varsity to All-American. I'm not all that great yet, so playing a C+ K-State against an A Texas is one I won't often win, but when the CPU starts cheating and I can catch it red-handed like this, it really ticks me off.

Since I'm trying to get better, what recommendations do people have on lining up the D? I just started moving LBs around based on where the O is weighted. Good idea? Better ideas? I'm always up for tips on this game.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

some other factors:

fatigue
route running rating
coverage rating
agility
acceleration
awareness

not just speed determines the winner
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Rookie

cajunspice's Arena

Quote:
Since I'm trying to get better, what recommendations do people have on lining up the D? I just started moving LBs around based on where the O is weighted. Good idea? Better ideas? I'm always up for tips on this game.
A trick I found works a lot is changing the direction your DLine is going. I usually make them go to the Offense's strong side and I even the linemen out to match the oline. As in, I move them left, right, bunched, or spread out to account for the placement of the Oline. This trick will allow your linebackers to make more plays on the ballcarrier on a run and allows an above-average pass rush on passing plays. Also, I will usually play as a dlineman playing on the offenses weakside. Depending on where the ballcarrier goes, I use the right stick in the according direction. This allows for stopping the cutback and for stopping counters. This works best in a 4-3 defense, but can work in other formations just won't be as effective against the run. If you have questions on this strategy, let me know and ill see if I can explain it more or answer your questions
Old 01-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
Rookie

davemay135's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunspice
A trick I found works a lot is changing the direction your DLine is going. I usually make them go to the Offense's strong side and I even the linemen out to match the oline. As in, I move them left, right, bunched, or spread out to account for the placement of the Oline. This trick will allow your linebackers to make more plays on the ballcarrier on a run and allows an above-average pass rush on passing plays. Also, I will usually play as a dlineman playing on the offenses weakside. Depending on where the ballcarrier goes, I use the right stick in the according direction. This allows for stopping the cutback and for stopping counters. This works best in a 4-3 defense, but can work in other formations just won't be as effective against the run. If you have questions on this strategy, let me know and ill see if I can explain it more or answer your questions
That's awesome! I'll have to try it out. One of the things that I don't like about the D is that my LBs have a hard time making up their minds on where to position themselves.

If my WR is already past the DB, then yes, speed is the only factor that should matter. Streaks don't take much route running, and agility, coverage rating, and acceleration don't matter once the WR has burnt you to toast.

That being said, I wish I could go back and check fatigue levels before the play. That would be cool as part of the instant replay feature, to check levels. I was doing that throughout the game and this receiver was mostly a white indication. Anyway, thanks for the inputs.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Rookie

cajunspice's Arena

Quote:
That's awesome! I'll have to try it out. One of the things that I don't like about the D is that my LBs have a hard time making up their minds on where to position themselves.
Something I forgot, I haven't really figured out the best direction on a 2 TE, 1 RB set with 1 TE on each side. What I've been thinking was Dline spread out, rushing towards the middle, but haven't really seen that formation a lot. So, can't really tell ya what to do for that, but try out different formations and stuff in practice mode or something.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »