Home

Deeper recruiting??? Would anyone else support this

This is a discussion on Deeper recruiting??? Would anyone else support this within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Deeper recruiting??? Would anyone else support this

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsaddict13
I agree completly i like everything but how you just get point by talking about topics that you uncover after week two. Again does anyone think that a summer camp could work i would love to be able to see my actual players, this could be run like madden did for the my player type mode, a combine with the players doing some basic drills like 40's and Bench but also stuff like 1 on 1 line drills. Then we could see if the 4* DE can beat the 4* OT
I think we should have some type of spring practice set up, culminating in a big spring game.

For the summer, I think we should have like a 4 or 5 week summer recruiting period. Think about it like this; the summer is when recruiting really picks up for the next year. Once the season has begun, they don't have that much time to recruit. Plus, look at Texas' classes the last few years. How many people do they get to commit after the summer? Maybe a couple because their recruiting class is typically finished. If I am a Texas or Ohio State, I should come out of the summer period smelling like roses with at least 10 commits. Is it that way for everyone? No. But for some of the bigger schools it is. Even if you're not a big school, it's an opportunity to figure out who you want for the next season. I think this is something we could really use.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcboiler87
I think we should have some type of spring practice set up, culminating in a big spring game.

For the summer, I think we should have like a 4 or 5 week summer recruiting period. Think about it like this; the summer is when recruiting really picks up for the next year. Once the season has begun, they don't have that much time to recruit. Plus, look at Texas' classes the last few years. How many people do they get to commit after the summer? Maybe a couple because their recruiting class is typically finished. If I am a Texas or Ohio State, I should come out of the summer period smelling like roses with at least 10 commits. Is it that way for everyone? No. But for some of the bigger schools it is. Even if you're not a big school, it's an opportunity to figure out who you want for the next season. I think this is something we could really use.
I like that, and with it we need to add juniors into the summer, that is when recruiting really starts
Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

one thing that would be more realistic and make it quicker would be to have camps, as someone else said in this thread.

you could pick 40-50 kids to come in for that week and "practice" in that camp, and you pick 5-10 that you want to pay special attention to during the week. each player invited would unlock some of their ratings for your viewing to know if you want to continue recruiting them, as well as a boost for your school. and the 'special attention' players get even more of a boost for your school and unlocks more attributes for the player to see.

you could have 3-5 of these in the summer period before the season and keep the season and post-season recruiting the same, but you wouldn't have to spend as much time in the reg season finding your key targets and their "high" attributes.

or...

instead of having the school have the camps, have 3-5 weeks set up where there are 10 or so nike/under armor/spark/etc camps across the nation with 40-50 recruits going to each. same process, except you don't pick the recruits, they just go to closest proximity camp. you have to pick which one to go to. one close to home, where most of your recruits are going to come from, or one further away with a big time player that you really need/want. some of their attributes get revealed. and you can again pick 5-10 priority recruits to 'focus' on and get a little more of a boost.

or

some combination. maybe 3 weeks of national camps and 1 of school camps where you invite players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 0

In NCAA 09 for PS2 you just get 100 points and every week you assign points to the players you want to recruit. You can go crazy with it too.. like..

I did a dynasty with the East Carolina Catamounts, I put all 100 points on the #1 HB in the nation and got to be on his list and eventually I got him. It makes it possible for small schools to sign the best players, if they choose to devote that many points to them. He led my team until I eventually became good enough where I could recruit the good players without giving all my points. Eventually the team became an A-

With this way of recruiting, things were obviously much easier. Recruiting took 1-2 minutes every week. While not realistic, its fun and fast, bad teams have a chance at landing good players, and I just plain love it
Old 02-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

Yes that would be great!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #14
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I'm not a fan of the "roll the dice" pitches that come up. It is as far from real life as can be. There is no way a college coach calls a kid and does not know what they are going to talk about. Once they find out what a kid is looking for then they play that up. They don't keep going back to things they have no interest in. Here is a few things I would do.

-Make each pitch cost 10 minutes with a 6 pitch max.
-You should only get basic info on recruits (40 time, bench, squat, cone) until you recruit them more.
-Add a scouting option that cost 10 minutes per rating that reveals one thing about the recruit. This will reveal the current info they give us from the start now. Kind of like in Madden when scouting draft picks but allow for more then just 4-5 things revealed.
-When making a call you should get the screen that allows you to set up what you want to do during the call. If you want to cover a pitch for "Fan Base" then you select it and during the call it will be pitched. Also you will be able to choose an offer, set a visit, negative recruit, set a promise, or scout.
-Add high school stats like use to be in March Madness.
-Make recruits match their labels and match their ratings. I hate to see a speed back who runs a 4.5 w/ B- acc and B- agl. I also hate the 6'4" 220lb DE's who have ratings that match those of a 280lb DE.
-Change the in season "hard commit" to a "hard verbal" and all recruits can be recruited until National Signing Day. I know some kids stay with the choice they make but some don't There should still be recruits who never sway.
-Better logic for the recruits to only sign with schools that run a system that fits their style and where they have a chance to play. I hate to see school that load up on positions (I'm talking about the schools that end up with 7 QB's), or how all the top players go to 1 of 6 schools.
-Pitches should improve and decline over time as things happen in the game. Also improve the logic behind why they improve or decline.

While a lot of what I said was behind the scene stuff there are some ways to improve recruiting while making it more streamlined. The option to set what actions you want to take during a call will not only improve things but speed them up as well. Recruiting is the life line of college football. I understand that not everyone wants to spend time recruiting. For me I enjoy recruiting as much as I enjoy them game.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I'm not a fan of the "roll the dice" pitches that come up. It is as far from real life as can be. There is no way a college coach calls a kid and does not know what they are going to talk about. Once they find out what a kid is looking for then they play that up. They don't keep going back to things they have no interest in. Here is a few things I would do.

-You should only get basic info on recruits (40 time, bench, squat, cone) until you recruit them more.
-Add a scouting option that cost 10 minutes per rating that reveals one thing about the recruit. This will reveal the current info they give us from the start now. Kind of like in Madden when scouting draft picks but allow for more then just 4-5 things revealed.
-When making a call you should get the screen that allows you to set up what you want to do during the call. If you want to cover a pitch for "Fan Base" then you select it and during the call it will be pitched. Also you will be able to choose an offer, set a visit, negative recruit, set a promise, or scout.
-Make recruits match their labels and match their ratings. I hate to see a speed back who runs a 4.5 w/ B- acc and B- agl. I also hate the 6'4" 220lb DE's who have ratings that match those of a 280lb DE.
-Change the in season "hard commit" to a "hard verbal" and all recruits can be recruited until National Signing Day. I know some kids stay with the choice they make but some don't There should still be recruits who never sway.
-Better logic for the recruits to only sign with schools that run a system that fits their style and where they have a chance to play. I hate to see school that load up on positions (I'm talking about the schools that end up with 7 QB's), or how all the top players go to 1 of 6 schools.
-Pitches should improve and decline over time as things happen in the game. Also improve the logic behind why they improve or decline.

While a lot of what I said was behind the scene stuff there are some ways to improve recruiting while making it more streamlined. The option to set what actions you want to take during a call will not only improve things but speed them up as well. Recruiting is the life line of college football. I understand that not everyone wants to spend time recruiting. For me I enjoy recruiting as much as I enjoy them game.
I agree with the players and system types. This game does a HORRIBLE job of that. Scrambling QBs, pass cathcing or blocking TEs, WRs, hell even RBs need to be programmed to pay more attention to historical data on how these positions are used. Some user controlled or cpu team that never runs option/zone read shouldnt get stud scrambler QBs. Even if it hurts me fine, but make this stuff matter.

Also agree on the player size. Im so sick of the 6'4" 200lb DEs and 240 top DTs, 6'7" freaking LBs, 6'5" safeties. I know there needs to be variance but please tweak the ranges that top recruits have. If lower tier guys are lighter then have their be the possibility that they blossom and put on 20 or 30 lbs. (crazy I know)

Schollies need to be pulled by the cpu when recuits are signed at the same position. Like you said, no more of this 7 good QBs on a roster BS. Also the chance for human players to sign more top players at a position should be lessened after signing another player. Obviously programmed to allow multiple to be signed of positions like WR, TE, LB, and especially CB or S, where there are multiple players of that position on the field at the same time.

The verbal commit idea? Not so sure. EA implementing a feature like that would scare me. All I see is OVER DONE.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411

I'm pretty sure that its suppose to some what simulate the recruit picking what they want to talk about.
OKC Thunder

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »