Home

Deeper recruiting??? Would anyone else support this

This is a discussion on Deeper recruiting??? Would anyone else support this within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Deeper recruiting??? Would anyone else support this

compared to what recruiting was in the last few installments (literally killed dynasty mode for me), I absolutely love the new recruiting. It could be tweaked a little bit, but I wouldn't want any drastic changes.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_Fan_79
compared to what recruiting was in the last few installments (literally killed dynasty mode for me), I absolutely love the new recruiting. It could be tweaked a little bit, but I wouldn't want any drastic changes.
the last one I played on PS3 (besides 11) was 09 and the recruiting had this football head that made a happy face or a sad face of how the recruit was feeling LOL wow how things have changed
Old 02-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hype Iz Real
I'm pretty sure that its suppose to some what simulate the recruit picking what they want to talk about.
As a high school coach I have set in on a number of recruiting calls and college coaches/recruiting coordinators stopping by the school to talk to players . The first contact the college has with a recruit they find out what the kid is looking for. Then after that it is all about pitching why there school is better. They try to sale kids on the idea that what they offer is better then anyone else. Once the first contact is made it is mostly still the college rep pitching why their college is still better. They do ask kids how they feel but most good recruiters don't contact a kid and ask them what they want to talk about. The recruits do ask questions but is is about things they are looking for out of college. Stuff like system they run, whee they fit, degrees they offer, scholership questions, and so on.

If that is the case, the recruits run the calls, then why would a kid want to talk about things they could care less about. As a recruit I want to know what you are going to do for me and why should I choose your school. I don't want to waste time talking about things that I don't care about or high on the list.

I still say the system is not realistic. I was not a huge fan of the old one but it worked. I don't want to go back but I would like to see change going forward. The "roll the dice" is not a good idea IMO.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #20
Rookie

stcloudgopher's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I'm not a fan of the "roll the dice" pitches that come up.

-Change the in season "hard commit" to a "hard verbal" and all recruits can be recruited until National Signing Day. I know some kids stay with the choice they make but some don't There should still be recruits who never sway.
I like all of the other suggestions as well, but these two are "musts."

To add to the conversation:
- Someone mentioned juniors/summer recruiting. I don't know about the summer recruiting aspect, at least not as a detailed mode like the regular season format. But, what I would like to see is have the ESPN 150 list of juniors released on signing day. Then, on signing day, maybe you could choose to offer a scholarship to one of those players to get a jump on the preseason recruiting.

More of a carousel idea, but it would certainly help:
- One of the things that would help recruiting is to have a "teaching" aspect to coaching. Instead of "Facilities" determining progress (and whatever else under-the-hood stuff that goes into it) make the Facilities a complement to Teaching. Bad weight room? Maybe the strength and speed are more static, but a great teacher can progress things like footwork and awareness. That would keep those 3-star kids on the radar of top schools, and possibly allow lesser teams to develop players into stars.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 15

What I would like to see is less micro management. I feel that in NCAA when you start a dynasty you are the head coach. So as the head coach you should assign your staff certain geographic areas based on their connections. Then based on how good that coach is at recruiting should determine what recruits are interested in your school. Then recruiting the kids who are interested should begin.

The amount of kids that you are able to contact based on how good of a recruiter the coach is, they have a certain amount of points to spend on recruiting. Then you have options and strategies on how to recruit a kid like letters, phone calls, coaches visit to watch games or in house visits, recruit visits to campus. Each one takes a certain amount of points; letters take less, phone calls a little more, etc.. You just assign these things and let the ratings and points take care of themselves. Of course each week you can change up the strategies. Also, if a kid verbally commits, he should be allowed to change his mind if a school keeps going after him. This happens all the time.

Based on NCAA rules, there are times when you can contact a kid and when you can't. The game should reflect that, and if you don't follow rules, then you will get penalized like in real life.

I'll tell you that I was recruited out of high school. I got letters, phone calls, visits from coaches, invitations to visit campus and watch games, and invites to their summer camps. Initially, I sent out game films, then I got letters (which started when I was junior), then I got invites to their camps, then I got more letters and phone calls. During my senior year I had scouts come to my games, then I got phone calls, and more letters. Then I took my campus visits during the season. During and after bowl season, I had coaches come and visit me. I think that recruiting should follow this basic outline.

Last edited by huskerwr38; 02-07-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #22
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcloudgopher
I like all of the other suggestions as well, but these two are "musts."

To add to the conversation:
- Someone mentioned juniors/summer recruiting. I don't know about the summer recruiting aspect, at least not as a detailed mode like the regular season format. But, what I would like to see is have the ESPN 150 list of juniors released on signing day. Then, on signing day, maybe you could choose to offer a scholarship to one of those players to get a jump on the preseason recruiting.

More of a carousel idea, but it would certainly help:
- One of the things that would help recruiting is to have a "teaching" aspect to coaching. Instead of "Facilities" determining progress (and whatever else under-the-hood stuff that goes into it) make the Facilities a complement to Teaching. Bad weight room? Maybe the strength and speed are more static, but a great teacher can progress things like footwork and awareness. That would keep those 3-star kids on the radar of top schools, and possibly allow lesser teams to develop players into stars.
I like the idea of juniors as well. I just feel like it will be to much. I would settle for the ability to offer recruits when we set up our board for the next season. That could equal the summer recruiting period.

For your second idea to work we have to have coaches with ratings and coaches that move around in the game (ones who retire, get fired, move up, and replaced with coordinators). If not then some schools will never drop off. Like Florida did when The ol' Ball Coach left and they hired Zook. While he was a good recruiter he was not a good teacher. The team took a step back until Meyer came in who was both a good recruiter and teacher. They should not base progression on the program. That is saying only the top programs produce top players. That is not true. Just look at the NFL draft. Good teachers produce top players. A teaching rating needs to be added to coaches along with others that have been mentioned before now.

The thing is you can make recruiting much deeper then it is now without making the people who want a more fast paced system happy. There already give us the option to auto-recruit which could be renamed recruiting coordinator. You set up what type player you want at each position, how many to sign, how you want the board to be set up (by need, by position, by want, by interest or by rank). Then the AI does the rest. I have said before if you don't like to recruit then don't play a college football game. Recruiting is the life line of college football and should be that way in the game. It is what makes the game different from Madden. That is why I enjoy it 10x more then Madden.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #23
Rookie

stcloudgopher's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
What I would like to see is less micro management.
I understand the sentiment, but in no way shape or form do I want the devs to think they should remove details and/or features. I have a very hard time accepting any change that takes control away from the gamer. The key to things like this is a single word: Options. Just give us the option to recruit or auto-recruit, call plays or have Corso call them. I just cannot allow more decisions to be taken away from me, the consumer.

Based on NCAA rules, there are times when you can contact a kid and when you can't. The game should reflect that, and if you don't follow rules, then you will get penalized like in real life.
I think the vast majority of the forum population would love to see the return of "penalties" like you mention. However, there is no way that the NCAA is going to get behind that and, as mentioned, the devs want their content to be approved. (Features don't HAVE to be approved, but they have mentioned their goal as to BE approved.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I would settle for the ability to offer recruits when we set up our board for the next season.
I think that would work just fine. A way to get a jump on that next class, however implemented, would be a nice addition.

The team took a step back until Meyer came in who was both a good recruiter and teacher.
Exactly. This is what really hampers Dynasty mode. There is no rhyme or reason as to why/when teams take a step back. But the bigger issue, as mentioned, is that five teams never take a step back, most take a step-and-a-half back (never to recover) and the rest take three steps back and rarely win a game.

There already give us the option to auto-recruit which could be renamed recruiting coordinator.
The CPU recruiting ability would need to take a HUGE step forward for this to be plausible.

I have said before if you don't like to recruit then don't play a college football game. Recruiting is the life line of college football and should be that way in the game.
I could not agree more.
My general feeling is this: Give us as much depth and micromanagement options as possible. Include the ability to turn on some auto- options to allow those that don't want to get too deep. Or, better yet, for those that don't want to do things that in depth, maybe scrap Season Showdown, Campus Legend and Mascot Challenge and institute a Season mode. No recruiting, no changing programs, no filler. Play the schedule. Win the games.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_Fan_79
Hell must be freezing over, Bama and Auburn fan agree.
A lot of the suggestions I'm reading -- and agree with -- are about Recruits, not recruiting. The speed/accel matching, or non-matching as is the case, is poor in the game. And the high-OVR DE that's 5-11, 190 is also poor, UNLESS a tuner or '12 allows for more accurate growth in a college training system (but we have to be aware, the complaint about rich getting richer would mimic real life as Bama's training and facilities would certainly have a larger impact on this than, say, at W.Ky.) over the athlete's time at the school.

My only 2 problems, or at least my primary ones, with RECRUITING are the unrealistic Very Low, Low and Least topics continuing to spin up, and the 7 QBs and/or scrambler at a pocket-passing school problem.
I really like the system in the game -- even accepting the -1 for weeks, which I now understand; look at the recent IRL Auburn/Alabama OL top-recruit -- but think the randomness for topics should be weighted. Regardless of my grade, a recruit's Most should have the chance of coming up 10x more, e.g., than his Least, his Very High should be 8x more than his Very Low, etc. If I'm a D+ in Proximity to Home but it's his Most, he'll keep bringing it up and I'll keep losing points for it. I'd think this would help with the stock-piling of positions in some way as the situation would keep team's from earning as many points as within the current system.

If anything to add, maybe allow Coach to pick one topic heading into the call. As much as like the current, yet involved, system, I wouldn't be in favor of adding a lot more time to it with HS camps, and film study. I'll take my PocketScout spreadsheet and keep rolling from there.
Some type of spring practice or 'assigning' offseason improvement areas for current players to improve scores, however, would be a nice addition. I like the idea of a spring game, too. Pick teams like on the playground, allow User to choose which offenses or defenses to control, etc. Not sure I'd like to lose a guy to injury in the game, though. Maybe we'll leave that aspect out...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »