Home

Size of DT's

This is a discussion on Size of DT's within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #25
Rookie

Onslaught76's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Size of DT's

Just started an OD with 6 other users and I just signed a 5* DT that's 6'7'' and 282lbs. As far as weight though, I did see a recruit who was 6' 1'' and 334 lbs. I haven't seen any DT (as a recruit) weigh more than that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 5
Weight is not a key attribute. For anyone who watches football you see guys like troy palamalu who is only 210 and Clay Matthews who is about 250 handle Linemen on occasion its all about strength and the player skill

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #27
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GATOR FAN
Size means nothing in this game you know that right
Not true at all. Weight plays a small role compared to strength, but pure physical size (ie. amount of space a player takes up) is quite important if you're trying to find a two-gapper style DT.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 1

Well, you know that size or strength can't really matter too much when your 6-6, 275 lb DE beast can't get by a 5-9 170 lb punter who is lined up at RT, because the CPU doesn't recruit enough OL players.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #29
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoes002
This is actually true, and not just potential, but the ratings itself.

Other than that, size has no effect on NCAA and the players will only gain around 8lbs over their careers in the game.

Hopefully, next years game actually adds weight-influenced momentum or something along those lines.
Yup. Weight is just a player attribute like skin color. It has zero effect on gameplay - only the ratings matter. I could live with this IF the weight was based on the player ratings but it's completely random. The game could generate ratings that fit a power back and then turn around and say he's 5' 9" and 185 pounds. They game could generate ratings that fit a true monster NT and then says he's only 6'0" and 255 pounds. The opposite is also true.

I studied the weights of all the prospects in a prospect file and weight is 100% randomly generated and has nothing to do with ratings. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ncaa-11-a.html The least EA could do would be to generate the weight of the player AFTER you generate the ratings and adjust the weight according to the type of player his is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Not true at all. Weight plays a small role compared to strength, but pure physical size (ie. amount of space a player takes up) is quite important if you're trying to find a two-gapper style DT.
If true it would appear to be a VERY small role - too small. I hope the NCAA team does a much better job of generating realistic weights for players based on their attributes this year.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #30
Rookie

Maizpan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
I have to believe you when you say weight has an impact, since you have access to the actual code. My gripe would be that physical attributes has too little of an influence. I set up a play now, CPU vs CPU, All-American, game between Georgia Tech and Air Force in order to matchup Georgia Tech's monster DT against an undersized middle 3. The GT DT is 6’7” 341lbs and has about a 100lb advantage on nearly every player on the AF line, but there were still times that he was manhandled and thrown to the turf. I can understand that there would be times he would lose the matchup due to a double team or a cut block, but there should never be a time where he is blown off the line of scrimmage and chucked by a 240lb center.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #31
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Why is though is the question I have? I know you know what a difference it makes for base schemes. Is it just the mechanic of the game that you can't have a 2 gap DT or three technique. do you think its possible with current gen systems? Even if you could answer vaguely I would appreciate that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maizpan
I have to believe you when you say weight has an impact, since you have access to the actual code. My gripe would be that physical attributes has too little of an influence. I set up a play now, CPU vs CPU, All-American, game between Georgia Tech and Air Force in order to matchup Georgia Tech's monster DT against an undersized middle 3. The GT DT is 6’7” 341lbs and has about a 100lb advantage on nearly every player on the AF line, but there were still times that he was manhandled and thrown to the turf. I can understand that there would be times he would lose the matchup due to a double team or a cut block, but there should never be a time where he is blown off the line of scrimmage and chucked by a 240lb center.

In real life, this particular player is not very good at all. He's slow and he hasn't learned how to use leverage. He has consistently been beaten my much smaller players, which is why his time on the field so far has been pretty limited. So what you are saying actually sounds pretty realistic to me

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »