Home

Recruits have to be A LOT Deeper

This is a discussion on Recruits have to be A LOT Deeper within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Recruits have to be A LOT Deeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89OneHanded
On the same subject, creativity toward realism has to include the other side of the coin. Players also get worse. 5* players end up being busts. This would be harder to determine programming-wise, because lots of people play 5 minute quarters, and there aren't enough realistic stats to go around in 5 min q. So at the end of the year, you can't base a ratings drop on stats. You can't do it randomly either (I would be incredibly angry if my stud DE dropped 5 points because he "only" got 4 sacks that year...even though heisman makes sacks unlikely at best.) The only really safe way to do it is to build a hidden "bust" label into a player from the beginning, so you're recruiting a 5* bust, but you won't figure it out until the offseason after his sophomore year. That may be frustrating for a player to see his 5* sophomore suddenly drop 3 points in the offseason, but it is a ton more realistic than a bland 1-6 points of growth every year. I would love to see the ratings growth system trend towards realism.
I think the best way to fix how a player becomes a bust or stud is a training system and player personalities. A training system, during the offseason, would allow for each player to progress in different ways and put to rest the random progression system. Then adding player personalities would add to the separation even more. Like the examples I gave about the 25 #1 ranked players since recruits started getting ranked. While some went to school and worked hard and improved other didn't. Some kids think they are studs before they step foot on a college campus and they are never heard from again. The bust don't put in the work. On the field performance happens because a player puts in the work off the field. Some players don't put in any work due to their personality. They just think they are that good. At any level, if you don't put in off the field work then you will only do so much on the field.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

I don't have much to add but I agree with what you guys are saying. I also feel the recruits should be more aware of the college season. If you are winning their interest should increase with that. If I'm competition with a school for a recruit and I destroy them during the season that should actually matter! Too many times I have seen a team win a national championship but in the off-season get the same amount of recruiting attention as if they barely finished with a winning record. Progression and recruiting definitely needs an overhaul.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
Pro

I love the recruiting this year, and I have no problem getting outstanding classes, or even elite recruits who aren't at al linterested in me. I pulled in the second ranked WR out of CA in my first year with San Jose State and ended up beating out USC and Stanford because my 2 A pitches just happened to be playing time and location and he was Most and Very high in both.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
Rookie

89OneHanded's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I think the best way to fix how a player becomes a bust or stud is a training system and player personalities. A training system, during the offseason, would allow for each player to progress in different ways and put to rest the random progression system. Then adding player personalities would add to the separation even more. Like the examples I gave about the 25 #1 ranked players since recruits started getting ranked. While some went to school and worked hard and improved other didn't. Some kids think they are studs before they step foot on a college campus and they are never heard from again. The bust don't put in the work. On the field performance happens because a player puts in the work off the field. Some players don't put in any work due to their personality. They just think they are that good. At any level, if you don't put in off the field work then you will only do so much on the field.

Very good point. Agreed on all accounts.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

I mentioned this in a thread from last year, but I still love the:

WR #1, second week calling him, he has Coach Prestige as his most, I have it as an A+

So I select Coach Prestige, thinking I'll get a big bonus and hopefully land the guy.

"More talk about you coach?!"

Old 02-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
Banned

devinewon's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazey
I love the recruiting this year, and I have no problem getting outstanding classes, or even elite recruits who aren't at al linterested in me. I pulled in the second ranked WR out of CA in my first year with San Jose State and ended up beating out USC and Stanford because my 2 A pitches just happened to be playing time and location and he was Most and Very high in both.
You didn't read my whole post because I guarantee this was an offline dynasty which means you are competing against the computer which means its not relevant at all to my post. Also you lucky and got a big time player to make your team good. What I am saying is that at San Jose State you should be able to find some quality 3 stars and develop them for your team.

In response to the people who fell my pain. The biggest problem I have is the regression between NCAA 2010 and 2011 especially when it comes to recruits because they affect the overall gameplay. In NCAA 2010 I had some nasty 2 and 3 star players. A B offense B defense could beat a A+ Offense A+ Defense team. I did it 3 years in a row UCLA vs. USC in last years game because the kid who had USC was destroying alone in the PAC 10.

In this years game the recruits matter so much if there is any kind of gap in talent the other player just has to tun a few money plays and they can beat you silly regardless of your skill.

Another weird thing I saw is for 4 years straight in our Online Dynasty the number 1 and 2 QB's went to the same school. The recruiting is not based on anything logical its all based on the computer artificially manipulating circumstances for people who can't recruit. Last year when someone was bad at recruiting we told him to pick his 35 and put the top 10 people on your board at the top of the kist and let the computer recruit for you. They were able to get good recruits because the classes were usually pretty deep.

Last edited by devinewon; 02-17-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: :-)
Old 02-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
Pro

Well, my SJSU dynasty is an OD dynasty with 7 other users all in WAC and Conference USA.

I like the Russian Roulette. It gives the game unpredictability, which is how recruiting in real life is. Without it, users can choose what they want to sell, and if 2 users go after the same recruit the user that has higher pitches is automatically going to get him every time. There is no flexibility or unpredictability that can be accounted for.

In our OD, we relate the unpredictability to a sort of recruiting charisma a particular coach might have on that given week. I don't want to know that if I'm battling a handful of recruits with another user, that he is going to get every single one of them simply because we get to choose our pitches and he happens to be a little better in all those pitches than me.

IMHO that isn't how recruiting in real life works.

I also completely disagree about the skill not being a factor in comparison of teams overall ranking. I have seen players in our OD with equal skill have outstanding games with each other in significantly different team ratings. The A team might win 7 out of 10 times over the B team, but that generally happens in real life. Alabama is going to beat a team like South Carolina 7 out of 10 times.

To each his own though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #16
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Hazey, just curious. Are you guys recruiting on Varsity? Because there's really no way SJSU should be getting the number 2 WR when they're a 1 or 2 star.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »