Home

Player Size Must Matter

This is a discussion on Player Size Must Matter within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Player Size Must Matter

Who cares -- WE GOT DREADZZZZ! Woohoo!

Seriously, that was my point in all the photo threads. The biggest aspects of football are blatantly ignored:
1) There is no separation of skills between one player and the next and this causes one to choose the highest OVR rather than actually gameplanning.
2) There is no real time physics for hits and everything is simply canned
3) Size (Weight/Mass/Height) and the force of this is completely ignored
4) The game might as well be called "NCAA OFFENSE 2012" as D and ST are ignored and do not even compare to the amount of attention the O gets.

And you can continue that list, almost ad naseum. But, I got jumped on by every EA Couch Jock on OS.

Who cares about dreads? Who cares about zoomed in replay shots that don't actually represent the game? This game has massive holes that never get addressed ... but all it takes to make the herd forget is a high-resolution photo.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
MVP

Mjphillips's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
Who cares about dreads? Who cares about zoomed in replay shots that don't actually represent the game? This game has massive holes that never get addressed ... but all it takes to make the herd forget is a high-resolution photo.
LOL
Old 03-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
XB1 GT: Cubone Jones

Cubone_Jones's Arena

OVR: 6

There is one physical trait that does matter, and that is height with receivers. It would be very hard, and awkward looking, to make height not a factor during jump balls and things like that.

You do have to recognize that sometimes smaller guys are better and play bigger than themselves, but in general that's not the case. Perhaps have intuitive/dynamic player attributes. If a HB is 250 then he better have excellent break tackle and strength. He should also be a better blocker. If a linebacker is 6'4 250 then he should generally have higher hit power than a 6'2 220 linebacker. etc. etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor
Perhaps have intuitive/dynamic player attributes. If a HB is 250 then he better have excellent break tackle and strength. He should also be a better blocker. If a linebacker is 6'4 250 then he should generally have higher hit power than a 6'2 220 linebacker. etc. etc.
The system you mentioned makes more sense than current, but to me, that's too linear and doesn't actually take the athlete skill and speed into account. I've met plenty of 250lb football players that play like they were 200lb.

Further, this is what I mean about players are too much like clones. There aren't any attributes that really distinguish one player from the next. Not only are pure skill important, but things like the ability to transfer force and use their weight and size or footwork are attributes that make sense for a football player.

So, for instance, a 180lb WR might have the best blocking skills on the planet, but he's going to get straight bowled over by every DT (regardless of skill) in the NCAA, much less a Nick Fairley ... each and every time. It's not simply a skill that causes this, but also because these DTs are bigger (and stronger) and know how to use their size/weight.

This would reduce those ridiculous situations where you create a midget OLman that straight pancakes the Jadeveon Clowney's of the world.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #13
XB1 GT: Cubone Jones

Cubone_Jones's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
The system you mentioned makes more sense than current, but to me, that's too linear and doesn't actually take the athlete skill and speed into account. I've met plenty of 250lb football players that play like they were 200lb.

Further, this is what I mean about players are too much like clones. There aren't any attributes that really distinguish one player from the next. Not only are pure skill important, but things like the ability to transfer force and use their weight and size or footwork are attributes that make sense for a football player.

So, for instance, a 180lb WR might have the best blocking skills on the planet, but he's going to get straight bowled over by every DT (regardless of skill) in the NCAA, much less a Nick Fairley ... each and every time. It's not simply a skill that causes this, but also because these DTs are bigger (and stronger) and know how to use their size/weight.

This would reduce those ridiculous situations where you create a midget OLman that straight pancakes the Jadeveon Clowney's of the world.
You make some excellent points... The ideal implementation of my system would provide adequate outliers so that big guys can have quick feet, but it doesn't happen often (hence being an "outlier")... If they could merge our two systems I think it'd be just about perfect!
Old 03-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
Banned

On NCAAStrategies I once created a basic outline of what my system would function like ... let me see if I can find it. I'll post it if I do.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
Pro

44drob's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksharp
Agreed. I recruit giant dudes cuz they look cool but I hate when DT's come in at 5'11" 224lbs and they can just blow up huge line man.
Blame EA

GLORYERACLOTHING.COM
TRU2THA GAME
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
Banned

Survivor,

Here's the article.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »