Home

25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 - Play #8: Pistol Spread RNS Switch Smash

This is a discussion on 25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 - Play #8: Pistol Spread RNS Switch Smash within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: 25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 - Play #8: Pistol Spread RNS Switch Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight9299
You mean a safety shouldn't be able to sit on the post until the ball is thrown then make a play on a wheel route he was ignoring?

Maybe in backyard football.

X is usually the guy with speed to make the safety turn and run to cover the deep post with wheel being 2nd option.
The read is the safety.

Safeties are not corners, they don't sit on anything.
There is no such thing as a safety sitting on a post route.

But to my point.
If it's the same, in the game the Safeties Nano-Backpedal throuhout the whole play. They never turn and run, which void's the scheme of these routes. Even with pump fakes.

I was just saying that I hope they fixed things so that the schemes or these routes can accomplish their respected roles.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Banned

MrHyde's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: 25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 - Play #8: Pistol Spread RNS Switch Smash

Still no shovel pass.Hopefully it finds it's way in,but I doubt it.That would be the icing on the cake.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
Pro

bruinkid626's Arena

OVR: 10

Sweet, new pistol plays. I loved the pistol in NCAA 11 even though they didn't make UCLA a pistol team (like in real life). Hopefully UCLA will be changed to pistol offense this year, but I enjoyed the pistol in my Nevada dynasty. Good to see new plays. Hopefully it's even more effective this year.

I am the danger.. I am the one who knocks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHyde
Still no shovel pass.Hopefully it finds it's way in,but I doubt it.That would be the icing on the cake.
It's gonna be the last play announced. The shovel pass option.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0
The original poster saying that he was going to put his #1 WR in the slot so he could line up against a linebacker or nickel back is exactly why this game is broken. If they don't include the option to place your #1 CB on the #1 WR regardless of where he lines up, then the weak defenses will continue to exploit the already pathetic defense. Hopefully EA will put assignment coverages in the game so that the defense has a chance to match up. What I have found out that the more I have played is that the offense can make far more adjustments than the defense and that people come to the line of scrimmage and call 20 audibles and hot routes every play. Not realistic at all. The game should not be a pre-snap button pressing contest.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0
I meant to say that the weak defenses will be exploit by the overpowered offense.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa2222
I hope they get the RB/QB alignment right.

Hawaii runs its QB 4.5 Yards behind Center w/ a back 1.5-2 yards behind him -- not the deep back pistol looks that say Ohio/Nevada/Indiana run.

Further, I was hoping that EA would actually implement the true nature of option route-reads off of switch, with X/Y running sit-down/dig/streak/post concepts off of the switch itself.

Back on the side running smash, the modern JJ/Hawaii R&S calls for route adjustments made on a delay basis, allowing for the outside receiver to pivot in, run a fade-stop, and the inside slot to either run a sail pattern, or a deep out depending on safety alignment and how well the outside wideout can occupy a corner - depending on a 2 deep vs 1 deep shell.

What we have here is a simulated switch concept based off of existing off-setting routes within EA's Football play database.

While it's a fairly decent attempt at implementing R&S concepts, I really hope that they fleshed out the scheme much more in game this year.

-as Far as I can recall, only Hawaii operates purely out of a Pistol set, JJ went back to an offset deep back in a SG look running only his unbalanced goal-line set out of pistol.
^Adding the route adjustments to the Switch packages would be a really nice addition. The generic switch combo we've been given in the R&S playbooks is a nice start, especially since we have some variations to the 2 x 2 Switch, but the receivers running the switch have the options you've listed above to help vs. defenses over playing the deeper routes. It's why Choice and Switch are bread-n-butter plays for the R&S, the potential for the big play is always there but the adjustments allow for 8-12 yard completions just as easily if the defense plays too soft.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa2222
Your 3x1 concept would be best implemented in this game with automotion with the backside/single-wideout running a choice concept locked purely on streak/post/out with an alert-slant option based on a 3 deep shell blitz call.

Hawaii has the ability to run all of its plays with a switch concept in mind- watch some film on when they played USU and NMSU who ran man exclusively - Choice-Special / Go-Special basically flip the inside slot roles out of trips and you immediately create a man beater, while running the same exact plays as base Choice/Go out of trips.
We need both Choice-Special and Go-Special added too now that you mention it. There's a play labeled as "Gambler" out of one of the trips formations that is somewhat similar to Go-Special... but anyway, if they can add the variations (use of the "tags" like Change, Special, Switch) and some other stuff I've seen referenced but I don't know exactly what they look like ("Nebraska" and "Georgia" If you have any info on these plays please educate me) we should have a really good representation of the R&S.

Last edited by SoulAssassin; 03-25-2011 at 12:47 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »