Home

Sell Me On Coaching Carousel

This is a discussion on Sell Me On Coaching Carousel within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #65
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Sell Me On Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
So CC doesn't impact a regular dynasty? You would have to be a coach. Also do you actually play the games or are you just coaching?
I've never played the Open Legacy, so I can't speak for that.

but in Career Legacy, you start off with a low level coach, with low coaching attributes(stuff like offense, defense, discipline, scouting, and a few others I don't remember off-hand).

your given a choice between a number of small schools that you can start off at. once your at that school, you can hire 2 assistant coaches. Most of the Legacy I assume is the exact same as you would expect. you can play every game, or use coach mode, or just sim them.

the Career Legacy has a few milestones that you can achieve(like get to the tournament, win 200 career games, etc..) to gain more attribute points to raise you coaching attributes to make your self better.

Of course the best part of CC in College Hoops was at the end of the year. there is a screen that shows which teams are looking for new coaches(either the previous coach retired or was fired). each team will have their wanted coaches ranked and those coaches have a chance to accept or decline in that order. This happens for the user as well as the CPU coaches. You get to see who went where and where they came from. you'll see some assistant coaches become head coaches.

It has probably been a year since I last played it, so I'm sure I'm missing a lot of details about it.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here

Last edited by Solidice; 04-07-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #66
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice

but in Career Legacy, you start off with a low level coach, with low coaching attributes(stuff like offense, defense, discipline, scouting, and a few others I don't remember off-hand).

your given a choice between a number of small schools that you can start off at. once your at that school, you can hire 2 assistant coaches. Most of the Legacy I assume is the exact same as you would expect. you can play every game, or use coach mode, or just sim them.

the Career Legacy has a few milestones that you can achieve(like get to the tournament, win 200 career games, etc..) to gain more attribute points to raise you coaching attributes to make your self better.

Of course the best part of CC in College Hoops was at the end of the year. there is a screen that shows which teams are looking for new coaches(either the previous coach retired or was fired). each team will have their wanted coaches ranked and those coaches have a chance to accept or decline in that order. This happens for the user as well as the CPU coaches.

It has probably been a year since I last played it, so I'm sure I'm missing a lot of details about it.
Thanks dude. Appreciate you taking time to break it down.

While I don't need a whole mode to be a coach the principle behind CC is much need in NCAA dynasties. Coaches should have an impact on the outcome of the team on and off the field and there should be movement via firing and retiring coaches.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #67
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice

Of course the best part of CC in College Hoops was at the end of the year. there is a screen that shows which teams are looking for new coaches(either the previous coach retired or was fired). each team will have their wanted coaches ranked and those coaches have a chance to accept or decline in that order. This happens for the user as well as the CPU coaches. You get to see who went where and where they came from. you'll see some assistant coaches become head coaches.

Only difference in Open Dynasty is you pick whatever team you want and you can give your coach whatever ratings you want, but you don't receive bonuses and can't change his ratings after you start. With UNC being my school, I have an Open on using default Roy Williams and his ratings in my Open Legacy.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Thanks dude. Appreciate you taking time to break it down.

While I don't need a whole mode to be a coach the principle behind CC is much need in NCAA dynasties. Coaches should have an impact on the outcome of the team on and off the field and there should be movement via firing and retiring coaches.
Actually, as it is already in NCAA 11, you ARE a coach in dynasty mode. Why do you think they offer you jobs at the end of every year?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #69
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeJR23
Actually, as it is already in NCAA 11, you ARE a coach in dynasty mode. Why do you think they offer you jobs at the end of every year?
Touche. I guess I was saying the same thing the whole time. CC and dynasty are one in the same. Just one waaaaay better than the other.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #70
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

As this thread has renewed my interest in College Hoops 2k8 and I've been playing it lately I can help with some more detailed info as well:

-Legacy Mode is basically the same thing as Dynasty Mode, you take over a college program

-There are 2 modes for Legacy as mentioned, Career and Open

-Career mode you start as a new coach and you are rated a "C-" in all of your attributes, you have 5 points to add at the start, each point puts you up a partial letter grade (so 1 point takes you from a C- to a C). These are the attributes:
  • Offense - Good offensive knowledge will help boost your players offensive awareness
  • Defense - Good defensive knowledge will help boost your players defensive awareness
  • Teaching - Teaching determines how fast your layers will progress during practice
  • Scouting - A better scouting rating will reveal information about recruits faster and make your game preparation more effective
  • Charisma - High charisma will keep your players' confidence up and gives your recruiting actions more impact
  • Discipline - Discipline makes practice more effective and increases coaching emphasis aspects of the game

-You hire 2 assistant coaches, your assistants have ratings in all the same categories as you except they also have another rating:
  • Ambition - this will determine whether or not the coach is looking to move up the ranks of the coaching world or if they are content being an assistant. Young guys generally have high ambition ratings and the guys in their late 50's are usually content with being assistants. Assistants are all part of the coaching carousel at the end of the season, so if you have a good season and you have ambitious assistants its not uncommon for them to take head coaching jobs of their own and you have to hire new assistants

-As mentioned to get more attributes to increase your coach you have to achieve certain things to increase the ratings of your coach

-Open Legacy mode is very similar, but here are a few differences:
  • Unlimited Ratings for Coaches - You can make your coach as good or as bad as you want. You can make your coach an A+ in everything if you'd like
  • You are able to fully edit your players. You can crank your players stats to a 99 or tweak and adjust as you see fit. You can only edit things like their headbands and looks in Career Legacy mode

Another thing that College Hoops 2k8 utilizes that NCAA Football should incorporate:
  • Player Templates - when creating a recruit or editing a player in open legacy you can use a template for their position. So if you want to create a pass first point guard there is a "Distributor" template that you can use, makes it easy to make a good recruit but within a pre-defined template
  • I would like to see NCAA take this a step further and have different templates based on star ratings + player tendencies, ex. a 3 star pocket passer QB or a 4 star dual threat QB

Of course, the star of College Hoops 2k8 is coaching carousel. This is not a separate mode or anything, rather it's an off-season activity for their Legacy (Dynasty) mode, much like "transfers" would be, only different and amazing.

At the end of every off season there is a list along the left hand side of coaches that will be retiring, leaving or being fired. Along the right hand side there is a small box showing which coaches are that team's #1 choice for a replacement. There is a pecking order and it will adjust based on what coach is hired for the job. Assistants and unemployed coaches can also be included in the coaching carousel.

The higher the "prestige" of the school they get to go next in line and offer their top pick for their coach, so if Duke is looking to replace their coach, they will have first dibs on who they select. If they select a coach from a solid but not great school (like a 3-4 star school) that 3-4 star school would get to pick a new coach before all the lower rated schools (1-2 star schools).

It's just extremely fun because programs truly take on a shape of their own based on what coach they have (like in real life) and it's incredibly fun to start off as a coach and work your way up the ranks, or to watch your assistants take over programs of their own.

Honestly, coaching carousel would be HUGE if they added it to NCAA Football. Adding a feature like that, expanding rosters, making players editable (or having a mode where you could in dynasty), and player templates are all things that would improve the NCAA Football franchise immensely.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #71
MVP

OVR: 38

If the add CC like CH2k8 I would not buy Madden...........No need too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2011, 01:02 AM   #72
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

As others have mentioned I think the coaching styles/tendencies have to have a higher impact on how teams play & sim in the game - but I agree with you on this one.

Of course, I didn't buy Madden last year either. I see what you are saying though, if done right this game would be a staple in my Xbox for multiple multiple months.

And lets be serious, every time you log on and your friends see what game you are playing that is free advertising for that game. Get us to play the game a lot and you will sell more copies, it really is that simple.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »