Home

Sell Me On Coaching Carousel

This is a discussion on Sell Me On Coaching Carousel within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Rookie

hawkeyebred2332's Arena

OVR: 2
Sell Me On Coaching Carousel

I just don't see the fascination with coaching carousel. Granted I have never played a sports game that had the mode (haven't played them far enough to notice the effects at least), but I just don't see what it really adds to the game.

Now for offline players who plug away 20-30 season I can see the appeal, but what does it add to online dynasties? Is this really what people want as the main new feature this year over gameplay, presentation, overall dynasty depth, etc.?

Not trying to attack those who want it, just legitimately asking for someone to enlighten me on why coaching carousel is such a big deal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Sell Me On Coaching Carousel

Go play a few seasons on College hoops 2k8 and you will see why. Here is what I imagine would make the Coaching Carousel awesome(besides real coaches):

-You start off as a Offensive or Defensive Coordinator at a small school, you only play for that side of the ball

-Your created Coach has a specialty that gives a boost for certain positions(Ex. You coach might be a O-Line guru so the O-line gets a boost, A Defensive Back expert would give you a boost at DBs).

- When you first get promoted, you could take a HC job at a small program or another Coordinator Position at a Big Time school.

If a coaching Carousel is implemented properly, it would add tremendous amounts of replay value. If College Hoops 2k8 did not have this feature, I doubt people would still be playing it today.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
Go play a few seasons on College hoops 2k8 and you will see why. Here is what I imagine would make the Coaching Carousel awesome(besides real coaches):

-You start off as a Offensive or Defensive Coordinator at a small school, you only play for that side of the ball

-Your created Coach has a specialty that gives a boost for certain positions(Ex. You coach might be a O-Line guru so the O-line gets a boost, A Defensive Back expert would give you a boost at DBs).

- When you first get promoted, you could take a HC job at a small program or another Coordinator Position at a Big Time school.

If a coaching Carousel is implemented properly, it would add tremendous amounts of replay value. If College Hoops 2k8 did not have this feature, I doubt people would still be playing it today.
+1

I'd like to see a Coach mode, as described above. I'd stilll like a normal dynasty mode, however.

The biggest thing about a Coaching Carousel is: It adds realism to the game.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Banned

mrMagic91's Arena

OVR: 23

I like that Idea, but I dont know about just playing on one side of the ball. Similar to RTG. Id like to play both sides in my dynasty
Old 04-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Coaches are the selling point in college athletics. Kids recycle too fast. Coaching carousel allows for coaching to impact the game both on and off the field(provided it's implemented properly).

Coaching will have ratings just like players. Which will impact (hopefully) the moral of the team, boost to certain player attributes, and it would be really nice if they added in game adjustment. Keep in mind this is just during game play. This could also include recruiting, disciplining players, and/or players improvement for examples.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

The biggest thing is that it just adds realism to the game. As a coach ages and then retires or gets fired a new regime comes in.

The new coach might have a new recruiting strategy, a new offense, a new defense. A bigger emphasis on recruiting, or a bigger emphasis on progression. The truly good ones would be good at all facets of the college game.

The teams just don't feel any different in how they play whether you are in year 1 or in year 15, but if a team went from pro-style to spread with a new coach playing them would be totally different.

It would be such an added level of depth.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

^^

That is a great point, instead of having a Penn St. playbook , have a Joe Paterno Playbook. When JoPa retires, the coach who replaces him will bring a new playbook and PSU will have a different look.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Rookie

fahrenheit's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanefootball4
The biggest thing is that it just adds realism to the game.
Exactly, in real life schools fail and succeed based mostly on coaches. Unfortunately NCAA doesn't recreate this and you have schools whose success only changes are based upon small differences in recruit ratings. When in real life a coaching change can radically change your program (for good or bad), this aspect isn't apart of NCAA for CPU schools and it just detracts from the realism.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »