Home

Lawsuit Against EA Sports?

This is a discussion on Lawsuit Against EA Sports? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Lawsuit Against EA Sports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pielet
You are wrong. The USFL proved in court the NFL was a monopoly, the same can be made in the video game world.

Of course the USFL was awarded $1 in damages........but that's beside the point.
uhhh.. what is your point?? The USFL got 4 quarters and folded....

ben
voodoo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #26
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvoodoo

ben
voodoo
The point was that they can still prove it's a monopoly, using that case as a reference.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #27
Pro

Pielet's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvoodoo

ben
voodoo
uhhh.....there is a case history of proving this (ie it has legal merit).....dude.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #28
Banned

Wilson16NCSU's Arena

OVR: 1

basically if they win against EA, what would happen if I don't remove my name? What would happen if I did remove my name?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

The most messed up thing about this entire lawsuit is that while most gamers realize it's not a lawsuit with merit they let their personal wants/likes, grudges against EA or whatever you want to call it trump that. Sorry but the law is the law and you don't just say laws were violated because you personally don't like the outcome, or in this case the accused violator, of said laws.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Oh and although I've stated this a million times EA's football games are by no means a monopoly. By the very definition of monopoly posted above it's not got a monopoly here.

Football is the commodity, the NFL/NCAA is a brand. EA can't stop anyone from making a football game and others have been made, All Pro Football, NFL Blitz, Backbreaker, etc. What EA can do is stop anyone from making an NFL or NCAA branded football game and that is by choice of the NFL and NCAA in agreement with, and getting paid by EA for those BRAND rights.

Dictionary.com definitions for monopoly:

1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices.

2. an exclusive privilege to carry on a business, traffic, or service, granted by a government.
3. the exclusive possession or control of something.
4. something that is the subject of such control, as a commodity or service.
5. a company or group that has such control.
6. the market condition that exists when there is only one seller.

Oh and Kaiser Wilhelm: On one hand you admit that there are other football games (Backbreaker) and then on the other you accuse EA stopping other football games from being made. That contradicts itself. Also, you point out that other companies can't afford to enter the market without bankrupting themselves. How is that EA's fault? The fact is that applies to all kinds of products and services in our everyday lives. I can't afford to start a fast food chain of restaurants that could challenge McDonalds but that doesn't mean McDonalds is monopolizing the fast food industry and stopping me from doing so. That argument makes no sense.

And not only does it make no sense in that capacity but it's wrong in another, there are plenty of companies around who could, if they wanted to, get into the football game making business. They choose not to do so because sports titles are expensive to launch from the ground up and an annual release schedule of the game necessitates a very difficult yearly turn around on titles. Witness Microsofts football game, they did it for a while. In fact the first party manufacturers all could make an NFL or NCAA game if they so desired, that's in the contract with the NFL and NCAA but Microsoft and Sony simply choose not to as the profit margin is slim and sports games have been decreasing in popularity for years now.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #31
Banned

PatriotJames's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pielet
You are wrong. The USFL proved in court the NFL was a monopoly, the same can be made in the video game world.

Of course the USFL was awarded $1 in damages........but that's beside the point.
Hit it on the nose.

Anybody remember the Topps owning the rights to all Major League Baseball Cards? Same thing here. I don't see how this is any different and I refuse to budge. Topps didn't own the rights to EVERYTHING baseball, just the MLB. Just like EA doesn't own the rights to EVERYTHING football, just NCAA & NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 AM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie
The point was that they can still prove it's a monopoly, using that case as a reference.
ooohhhh OK I see....

ben
voodoo

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »