Home

Any word on new commentary..?

This is a discussion on Any word on new commentary..? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Any word on new commentary..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
The real problem with the commentary was that it wasn't personal and was too generic. What makes NBA 2k11 and MLB 2k11 commentary so good was the fact it was personal.

They talked about the stuff you were actually doing in the game. And when it came to the second half of the game they talked about what you did in the 1st half and what the defense needed to do in order to stop you. Then during the season they talked about how you did the last game and how you are doing today and over all how your season was going so far.

Hopefully they worked on this for NCAA 12.
fully agree.
It feels like it is obviously just had them read from a script for Play Now and added some milestones and Bowl commentary and just left it how it was.
There is no emotion. I want to hear about our Playstyle vs. Theirs not just in the pre game. I want to hear how my season is going and bowl chances. I want to hear them talking about past
Old 04-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #18
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
The real problem with the commentary was that it wasn't personal and was too generic. What makes NBA 2k11 and MLB 2k11 commentary so good was the fact it was personal.
The real issue cuts deeper than that. They can record all the new lines they want -- but if they don't revamp the commentary engine, then it won't matter.

I hate to use rhetoric from other OSers, but former OSer Valdarez is/was right when he said that EA's football commentary is event driven. They only react to what's going on in-game. The commentators don't make small talk in between plays a la NBA2K & NFL2k5 -- they're just dead silent after they say their piece.

What's impressive about the NBA2K commentary is how they have the ability to stop mid-sentence to say "Woooooaaaaahhhh" when a dunk is thrown down. To get this level of authenticity would probably involve a total commentary reconstruction on Tiburon's part -- a reconstruction they probably didn't have time for this year.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #19
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

The thing is I play like alot of people NCAA 5 or 6 nights a week for 7 months. There is no way to keep the commenary fresh without making it a major additon. Most of the time it's in the background for me anyway as I'm worried about the game thats going on or texting someone back. Also the crowd cheering more will help with the sound of things.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #20
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
The real issue cuts deeper than that. They can record all the new lines they want -- but if they don't revamp the commentary engine, then it won't matter.

I hate to use rhetoric from other OSers, but former OSer Valdarez is/was right when he said that EA's football commentary is event driven. They only react to what's going on in-game. The commentators don't make small talk in between plays a la NBA2K & NFL2k5 -- they're just dead silent after they say their piece.

What's impressive about the NBA2K commentary is how they have the ability to stop mid-sentence to say "Woooooaaaaahhhh" when a dunk is thrown down. To get this level of authenticity would probably involve a total commentary reconstruction on Tiburon's part -- a reconstruction they probably didn't have time for this year.
This wouldn't be an overnight addition but instead a primary focus like you said. Name one EA Sports game that stands out in commentary? Maybe NHL 11 as their series has always been solid but that is it. Most likely EA does not know how to do this.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I heard MLB 2k's commentary is great(probably better than the Show)
NCAA's problem(and MAdden) with commentary is that is it best suited for Play Now games. They dont really talk about Teams, current season, past, rivalary.
I would love for multiple commentary teams like NCAA Basketball had
Nailed it. EA has done it before with a game that had what 320+ teams on it?

Get some new commentary about series records atleast for rivalries and mention team names in the conference title races. I'm no programmer but I would think it could be fairly simple with an annoucer stating "Nebraska leads the all time series over Iowa 26-12-2" with the wins and losses changing over the years of the dynasty being played, much like in Madden when they'd talk about teams Super Bowl appearances and wins.

Names and numbers are constantly being mentioned in the commentary already so I think this could be an easy fix
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »