Home

Why does ball physics matter? And can you guys tell if it has been implemented?

This is a discussion on Why does ball physics matter? And can you guys tell if it has been implemented? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Why does ball physics matter? And can you guys tell if it has been implemented?

In BLOG 1 I noticed the developer said ball physics is in but to be honest I have no idea what this is neither do I know how this could be important someone please provide insight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Why does ball physics matter? And can you guys tell if it has been implemented?

Fumbles and tipped passes come to mind.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Rookie

Vanman2425's Arena

Re: Why does ball physics matter? And can you guys tell if it has been implemented?

The ball still looks too big to me. Also, I can't remember, but the ball actually rotate while in the air last year? I remember two years ago, it rotated very slowly and looked just awful.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Rookie

I guess that was a pretty dumb question, so basically what you guys mean is the football moving in the proper way depending on the situation? I thought it had more to do with the balls size.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Pro

Maybe they are touching on how the ball would just change direction right before it hit the receiver's hands, making it look more of a natural move.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Ball physics makes the football actually behave like a real football. I don't think that EA has real physics on the ball now like the puck in NHL, I think they just improved and whats there right now.

Ball physics would really add to the game more than I think people give it credit. One of the things I love most about 2k's passing game is when a ball is tipped, it doesn't fall straight to the ground and spin at 900 RPM. The ball actually bounces off the hand, helmet, etc. like a real ball and depending on the speed of the ball, the angle it hit the object, how hard it hit, etc. it will sometimes go straight up and potentially be caught, it may get tipped just enough to go flying over everyones head, or it may get hit so ahrd it pretty much is like a volleyball spike to the ground.

Recently in last years game, or the year before EA finally added in defensive lineman tips. It is cool and all to have them, but they are canned. In 2k the lineman jump and the ball reacts differently every single time it hits their hands. If it tips to top of their hands, it will go up in the air and turn in to a duck, if it hits directly on their hands it will bounces off pretty hard and more than likely not be caught by anyone at all, and if it just clips their hands it changes the trajectory just a little bit, sometimes it only affects the spin a little, sometimes it make the ball go off course just enough to make it impossible for the receiver to get to a ball he would have easily gotten with no tip.

If the ball was its own object and didn't rely on canned animations to travel, the passing game would become a little fresh again. Work on pass trajectories and add ball physics and you have a close to perfect passing game in my opinion as long as coverage continues to improve.

Just watch when you throw a pass that never touches anyone. It hits the ground and pretty much stops on the spot. The watch when you punt the ball in this game and no one tries to catch it. The ball will bounce freely to an extent, but still sometimes just stops suddenly and unrealistically. If the ball was even just as free as it is on punts, then the game would be a lot better, but as it stands the ball hits the grass and acts like it is extremely stick glue and instantly stops in it or it bounces off a player and falls straight to the ground or bounces around unrealistically and spins 1,000 times in a second.

― Plato
Old 04-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Well stated canes21.

A game like APF2K8 has great ball physics. It adds so much to the excitement level of a tipped pass and gives you that uncertainty of what will happen next.

I remember NCAA 05 having the worst ball physics ever. It was beach ball mania! It was comical.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
Well stated canes21.

A game like APF2K8 has great ball physics. It adds so much to the excitement level of a tipped pass and gives you that uncertainty of what will happen next.

I remember NCAA 05 having the worst ball physics ever. It was beach ball mania! It was comical.
haha i remember that... it was a voley game more than a football game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »