Home

Custom Playbooks = Online Cheesing

This is a discussion on Custom Playbooks = Online Cheesing within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2011, 01:57 AM   #33
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Custom Playbooks = Online Cheesing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGK
If you think it's unrealistic for your opponent to not run a play because you are unable to slow it down, you do not know football.

And guess what? If you can stop the "money" play, your opponent will stop using it.

What a novel concept. #icandoittoo

Here's the thing. In real life, you can actually run a legit zone defense. In real life, you can walk up to your OLB and say, hey, watch the TE running this route. He likes running this route more often than any other one. You can say, Hey, if they run 4 verticals, watch the TE. Watch the HB in the flats. Sure, you can take control of a player, but why should I have to physically control someone to stop a play just because my CPU defensive players are too incompetent to read the same play back to back to back? Why should I have to sit there and play as the safety and watch the TE cut inside on a 4 verticals and watch my OLB not even think about covering him, even though he has a solid man coverage rating and is quicker and faster than him?

That's the part that people like you, the hardcore gamer who probably cheeses himself, doesn't understand. I should have to play the game a specific way (aka, running 4 different defensive plays) to stop an offense. You don't see a defense only run 2 different plays the entire game. (Oh, you say a Tampa 2 defense? Do you REALLY think they run the exact same zone every play? QBs would shred that.) I shouldn't have to pick Man 2 Under and control my OLB to stop someone. I should be able to pick the defensive position that is my favorite to play and not worry about some idiot guy behind me not being able to EVER cover a post route, whether it be zone, man, or a hybrid defense. Trust me, if I needed to, I can sit there and watch you run 4 verticals twice in a row, or run 3 straight plays where you throw to a TE post, HB in the flat, or a guy on a slant route, then just user control a guy and stop/pick off that pass. But how the heck is that any fun at all?

I have ZERO idea why I just wasted my time typing this, because all the response will be is "Well, it's a game. Get over it and get good." Thank you 2 am boredom...
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 04-30-2011, 04:10 AM   #34
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Make a realistic, sim football game and then there will be no such thing as cheese.

Custom playbooks does not equal cheese. Will people set their playbooks up so that they contain a bunch of money plays and exploits? Maybe, but the problem isn't the playbooks. It's that certain plays / tactics expose gaping holes in the game's AI that should not be there.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 31

I was under the impression that you could create plays. I think its a great feature if youre taking a weaker team and implementing a new system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #36
Pro

OVR: 11

-custom playbooks do not equal cheddar
-theres no greater feeling than learning how to stop a "popular" money play
-online is optional
-i too would rather play a cheesy human opponent than a cheesing ai anyday
-online dynasty/communities are the greatest venues for online play, period
-these new welcomed additions are great but shoulda been in the game years ago, not towards the end of this console generation
-its only the end of april, we still havent seen a demo, the final build, the BIG addition feature (or the gimmiky one lol)
-there will be tons of better features/enhancement news within the next 12-13 weeks before the game is dropped
- ncaa 11 is still very fun and playable football game
-dont believe me? http://forums.traditionsportsonline....ighlights.114/
NCAAF- MIAMI LSU
"IM SO UPTOWN AND IF U AIN'T MOTHA#$@ DONT GO UPTOWN, YEAH"

Quote:
How often can the bug be reproduced? That's a question for the developers...I'm not testing this for them...
Old 04-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #37
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehud
that would be the case if they allowed create-a-play. don't see that being a factor too much if you are just swapping different formations from pre-existing playbooks. folks that want to put in the practice time to take advantage of whatever inherent weaknesses of the game design wasn't going to stop or slow down whether custom playbooks are in or not.
Not necessarily. It MAY be possible to do some stupid thing calling an audible. I saw a video on YouTube of my friend platings random people. He was playing 07, and his opponent had WVU (pat white, slaton, etc) he had slaton lined up as a WR...and he snapped the ball, White did "HB Toss" type pitch to Slaton, and took off downfield.

Of course, that was in 07, and there may be patches around stuff like that, but just saying.
James Naismith visited an Indiana basketball state finals game along with 15,000 screaming fans and later wrote, that while it was invented in Massachusetts, "basketball really had its origin in Indiana, which remains the center of the sport."
Old 04-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #38
MGK
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTG
I'm not saying YOU do any of this. Just venting a bit. Now I'm going to play a game in the 10th season of my OSU dynasty and enjoy the hell out of myself.
I applaud you for not jumping to conclusions, but I have to wonder why you decided to respond to my post if you avoid playing online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie
Here's the thing. In real life, you can actually run a legit zone defense. In real life, you can walk up to your OLB and say, hey, watch the TE running this route. He likes running this route more often than any other one. You can say, Hey, if they run 4 verticals, watch the TE. Watch the HB in the flats.
Use receiver spotlight and defensive hot routes to combat repetitive playcalling.

Quote:
That's the part that people like you, the hardcore gamer who probably cheeses himself, doesn't understand.
Again, if you consider not playing into the hands of the defense by choosing plays with a high rate of success "cheese", then I am the King of Queso.

The object of the game is to exploit your opponents weaknesses to get the ball in the endzone, bottom line.

Quote:
I should have to play the game a specific way (aka, running 4 different defensive plays) to stop an offense. You don't see a defense only run 2 different plays the entire game.
Of course not. That is why it pays to actually play a skilled opponent who forces one to mix up the D. "Cheesers" never prosper unless they play against a poor defense. Against a respectable user, they will be forced to mix up the playcalling.
Quote:
(Oh, you say a Tampa 2 defense? Do you REALLY think they run the exact same zone every play? QBs would shred that.) I shouldn't have to pick Man 2 Under and control my OLB to stop someone. I should be able to pick the defensive position that is my favorite to play and not worry about some idiot guy behind me not being able to EVER cover a post route, whether it be zone, man, or a hybrid defense. Trust me, if I needed to, I can sit there and watch you run 4 verticals twice in a row, or run 3 straight plays where you throw to a TE post, HB in the flat, or a guy on a slant route, then just user control a guy and stop/pick off that pass. But how the heck is that any fun at all?

I have ZERO idea why I just wasted my time typing this, because all the response will be is "Well, it's a game. Get over it and get good." Thank you 2 am boredom...
When I play users who try this garbage, I obliterate them. If I come across a player who does not play realistically, he does not have success against my offense or defense.

Quote:
Trust me, if I needed to, I can sit there and watch you run 4 verticals twice in a row, or run 3 straight plays where you throw to a TE post, HB in the flat, or a guy on a slant route, then just user control a guy and stop/pick off that pass. But how the heck is that any fun at all?
And, in the end, it just comes down to personal opinion. I find it rewarding to shut down a user's perceived money play(s). You enjoy playing your favorite position on defense. I can respect your difference in opinion.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #39
BTG
Banned

BTG's Arena

OVR: 5

Your comment touched a nerve which sparked an off topic "why I don't play online" diatribe. I fail at staying on topic, but therein lies the beauty of a message board.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #40
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrizzo380
-custom playbooks do not equal cheddar
-theres no greater feeling than learning how to stop a "popular" money play
-online is optional
-i too would rather play a cheesy human opponent than a cheesing ai anyday
-online dynasty/communities are the greatest venues for online play, period
-these new welcomed additions are great but shoulda been in the game years ago, not towards the end of this console generation
-its only the end of april, we still havent seen a demo, the final build, the BIG addition feature (or the gimmiky one lol)
-there will be tons of better features/enhancement news within the next 12-13 weeks before the game is dropped
- ncaa 11 is still very fun and playable football game
-dont believe me? http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/media/espn-live-year-7-bowl-week-highlights.114/
I have been looking for more info about online communities ever since it was mention as a new feature being added to Madden 12. Does NCAA 11 already have this and if so, how do they work? I would appreciate any info about anyone might have.

I was thinking it might be something that allows gamers to build player communities that have some kind of member invite/password and/or multiple commissioner controlled system similar to online franchise. Maybe slightly different from online franchise by actually allowing whomever starts the community to grant community admin control to various members to basically be community moderators. Then allowing community members to seek ranked, unranked and online franchise opponents, strictly from within that community. I even started a thread asking about it in the Madden forum. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...mmunities.html

On topic, I don't know about NCAA 12 exactly but Chase B reported there is a 50/50 chance that custom playbooks make it online this year for Madden 12. He was told EA is trying to work out a bug fix to allow them online. Like others have said, I don't really see custom playbooks making whatever issues people have with the online play of others, any worse.

I have my own personal beliefs about what can be done to deter unrealistic play calling by EA developers. If they would just tune existing tools in their games, like penalties, fumbles, ratings and adaptive AI to better simulate real NCAA/NFL risk/reward, or at least provide a optional NCAA/NFL simulation setting that does, that would minimize the success of unrealistic play. The lack of success from unrealistic play would minimize the use without directly restricting anyone's individual play style. This would bring countless numbers of gamers that have abandoned online play, back, IMO.

Until that day comes, I would be satisfied with an online community feature similar to the one I described.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »