Home

Zone Defense Video in Slow Motion

This is a discussion on Zone Defense Video in Slow Motion within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Zone Defense Video in Slow Motion

heharbinater: " you've also got to provide the context to what he was addressing"

He was addressing players not sliding/warping into "POSITION".
Whether tackling, blocking, jumping, catching or whatever, the key point was players getting into position.

Zone defense has never been utilized to stop a passing attack, but prevent the deep ball (big play) and putting players on islands to be beat.

From what I see, the Zone Defense has been programmed to STOP the passing game.
The 1st play shows the corner covering 10 yrds on a pass from the hash to the sideline, with him being warped into POSITION right at the catch.
At least make an attempt to give the perception of weight/momentum in the game.

If this is the norm, then we're just getting the opposite of '09 Pass happy game.

I understand your effort to try and explain what is going on, but the reality is that the majority of the "Forum Communities" (beyond OS) have acknowledge that feel this is another overpowering injection, so we're just trying to get them to fix it before release.

I've said my piece on this subject, so I'll just step back now.

In the end, we all want a playable game out-of-the-box without need for Patches/Tuners to address.

Last edited by khaliib; 05-04-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
heharbinater: " you've also got to provide the context to what he was addressing"

He was addressing players not sliding/warping into "POSITION".
Whether tackling, blocking, jumping, catching or whatever, the key point was players getting into position.

Zone defense has never been utilized to stop a passing attack, but prevent the deep ball (big play) and putting players on islands to be beat.

From what I see, the Zone Defense has been programmed to STOP the passing game.
The 1st play shows the corner covering 10 yrds on a pass from the hash to the sideline, with him being warped into POSITION right at the catch.
At least make an attempt to give the perception of weight/momentum in the game.

If this is the norm, then we're just getting the opposite of '09 Pass happy game.

I understand your effort to try and explain what is going on, but the reality is that the majority of the "Forum Communities" (beyond OS) have acknowledge that feel this is another overpowering injection, so we're just trying to get them to fix it before release.
i said i agree, this needs to be addressed/fixed.

i was just pointing out that in that video, when he is discussing warping and sliding, it had to do with tackles, nothing else.

to get the context of what he's talking about in that video, you need to start at about the :24 mark, not :37. he's talking about the new collision/tackle system, and the old warping/sliding into position to make a tackle. like when a tackle started from the side, and would warp into a head to head tackle animation. now it just tackles from the side. not sliding during a back pedal or strafing, etc.

there needs to be some sort of linking contact between the players and the ground. it's like they are playing on a green screen or something. the foot, when planted, needs to be pinned to that point on the field. instead it's like the field can move under their feet.

i'm not a programmer, so i have no idea how to answer this. and my description is probably terrible. but this does need to be fixed/addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib

In the end, we all want a playable game out-of-the-box without need for Patches/Tuners to address.
agreed.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #51
Banned

auburn2004's Arena

OVR: 3

All the people whining are probably pisses off because they can't run their cheesy flat routs all game anymore. Thanks ea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #52
Banned

ViLLiO's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburn2004
All the people whining are probably pisses off because they can't run their cheesy flat routs all game anymore. Thanks ea
He'll yeah, I can't wait for this release. Every time I watch these gameplay vids I get 100x more excited. Defense is finally getting the respect it deserves.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by womalee23
Why don't they backpedal?
Bingo! I've been waiting for someone to ask that. The players move like they're playing defense in basketball, not dropping into coverage in football. In pass coverage you don't shuffle like that, ever ! You backpedal, turn and run, if your cushion is broken, and you break on the ball. Defenders dropping into coverage don't shuffle!

Shuffle ten feet then backpedal ten feet. I bet you that you'll move faster when backpedaling.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #54
Rookie

Diabolicole's Arena

OVR: 2

I think the video is great. To me having Defense be more effective if much more important than if the animation is exactly as is real life. Some people ask for so much thought out of the computer defenders it's simply impossible. If a cpu engine could really think with the complexity you demand, it'd be called Skynet.

I'm more pumped that this will hopefully help to achieve a more competitive computer opponent for OD, rather than CPU games being an afterthought until another user game. I'd love to have a game where I was forced to punt several times without cranking the sliders so high it's not fun.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #55
Rookie

nighttrain32's Arena

OVR: 5

I have a feeling that the defenders will react to your button presses and not the actual throw and that will kill any chance of a receiver being open. Also with the lack of route based passing, how will there be a balance between the offense and the defense. How will the cpu manipulate this on Heisman?

Hopefully the game pays smoothly and zone won't be the new man coverage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain32
I have a feeling that the defenders will react to your button presses and not the actual throw and that will kill any chance of a receiver being open.
All that writing I did, I was trying to end my blurp on the subject with this.
Got to minimize my Word-Salad

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »