Home

Perceived difficulty vs reality

This is a discussion on Perceived difficulty vs reality within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #17
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Perceived difficulty vs reality

No controller vibrating.......That is something I can do without. Bottom line just make players play to their actual rating and stop giving players a boost beyond their rating just because you playing on a certain difficulty.

IMO there should be a major gap in ratings between a top 5 player and a bottom 5. But being EA doesn't use a 100 point scale, that is why there isn't a big gap and all the ratings are compressed.

No way should a freshman have a 90 Ball carrier vision and a senior all american have a 90 ball carrier vision as well.

No way should a 298 pound DE have 88 speed and a 205 pound WR have 88 speed.

They need to add more position specific ratings, use the whole 100 point scale and rate players better according to their weight and position.

All this blind randomly assigning ratings to players because their school was ranked 1 in something last year, needs to stop.

They need to take more time to look at everybody and say hmmm, it doesn't make logical sense to give somebody weighing 298 pounds 88 speed, which is the same speed as 98% WRs.

More common sense needs to be involved. Linebackers and linemen don't run as fast as WRs and HBs. So therefore they shouldn't be given the same speed rating.

A scrambler tendancy player, shouldn't be attempting 40 plus passes per a game either. Last year player tendancy was just for show, window dressing, it didn't mean anything at all.

All QBs played the same. All WRs played the same didn't matter if they were a possession or not. Same thing with HBs, didn't matter if they were a speed back, balance or power, they all played the same.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

The thing is, the ratings don't matter when you control a player. The only ratings that matter for anyone, but a QB are speed and acceleration. There are no mechanics in the game that help you differentiate good and bad players when user controlled. You can play as good of defense with Joe Schmo as you would when controlling Ray Lewis. The game needs more things during a play that will help make these players feel somewhat different.

I think having little things like the controller vibrating would help make QBs feel different. Having that guy with the great PP rating that vibrates anytime anything is about to happen will allow you to always be looking down field. But if you use a guy with a terrible PP rating, then you are going to either get sacked a lot, or have to keep looking down at the pocket, then up field again.

― Plato
Old 05-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
The thing is, the ratings don't matter when you control a player. The only ratings that matter for anyone, but a QB are speed and acceleration. There are no mechanics in the game that help you differentiate good and bad players when user controlled. You can play as good of defense with Joe Schmo as you would when controlling Ray Lewis. The game needs more things during a play that will help make these players feel somewhat different.
I absolutely disagree that ratings don't matter for user-controlled players. I absolutely had more success trucking someone with UVa bulldozer RB Keith Payne than I did with scatback Perry Jones. On the flipside, I couldn't make Payne do a juke move without almost tripping over himself.

With regard to player positioning on defense, yes the player's input overrides whatever the defender might do with regard to positioning, as well it should. I hate it when video games take control away from the player in situations where the player should expect to have direct control. That said, with regard to tackling, success in defending passes, intercepting passes, causing fumbles, and any other play against a live ball or ballcarrier, I have always obviously been able to tell better players apart from worse ones.

I'll make an exception for defensive linemen in pass rushing, I've never quite been able to figure the moves out, but I attribute that more to myself than anything else (I've struggled with defensive linemen in just about every football game I've ever played), and most of the time anymore I play on a player in the second level of my defense anyway.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

I mean things like accuracy, power, trucking, swimming, blocking, catching, speed, anything 'physical' can be felt differently between players. But if I have two players who have the same speed, acceleration, and tackle at linebacker and their differences are is one is 90+ in every rating, the other player is below 40, I am still going to be able to cover as much ground, and contain an offense with both players. When we have smarter players, this needs to be represented somehow. I don't want the game to have 45 meters on the field at once with a button mashing sequence, but if the camera pans quicker on a RB on a true hand off when you have a smarter LB, then it stays on the QB, then back on the RB with a poor LB, then I feel it will add to player differences.

There are probably better ways to make these differences show up, but I am just thinking them up quickly for example.

― Plato
Old 05-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #21
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe

With regard to player positioning on defense, yes the player's input overrides whatever the defender might do with regard to positioning, as well it should. I hate it when video games take control away from the player in situations where the player should expect to have direct control.
It's too bad that if you play as the LE and the opponent runs a read option, your guy just sits there doing the stutter step instead of you being able to control him. This killed me in a game where I played a read option team.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #22
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

I think having little things like the controller vibrating would help make QBs feel different. Having that guy with the great PP rating that vibrates anytime anything is about to happen will allow you to always be looking down field. But if you use a guy with a terrible PP rating, then you are going to either get sacked a lot, or have to keep looking down at the pocket, then up field again.
Completely disagree. I can certainly tell the difference between players when I control them. Moreso with the latest version than ever before.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #23
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

End of the day it doesn't matter though.

I had a team where I had a 98 ovr power back, and a 97 ovr speed back.

Was the speed back faster and better at juking? Yes. Was the power back better at stiff arming and trucking? Yes.

Does it really matter which one I used? No. I could've had a 2000+ yard 20+ TD season with either of them, running the same plays with both. Come out running counters and options your running back doesn't even matter, computer isn't stopping that. That's the whole point, none of it matters.

I could sit there and try to scheme, say "hey let me pound the ball with this power back and try to utilize this other guys speed." But that's just unnecessarily complicating things.

Last edited by poopoop; 05-09-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Completely disagree. I can certainly tell the difference between players when I control them. Moreso with the latest version than ever before.
Well, I am sure if they have different agility, speed, acceleration, and tackle ratings, then they will play differently. But you can take a guy with 5 in awareness, play recognition, etc, and a guy 99 in all those, then everything else the same, and you'll be able to put up equal stats when controlling both.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »