Home

Position Changes

This is a discussion on Position Changes within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1
Position Changes

Am I the only one that has a problem with how position changes are done?

It seems like it is getting to the point where there are too many position specific attributes making it impossible to make realistic position changes (TE to T, WR to DB, RB to LB, RB to FB, etc.). Also it has an affect on ATH recruits which for the most part can only play 1 or 2 positions in the game.

The ways I can think of to fix it are:
  • Make core attributes like blocking, tackling, catching, strength, and athleticism more important
  • Give players higher ratings at the specific atributes (ex. Zone cover for a RB)

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Position Changes

My honest opinion is that your definition of "Realistic position changes" is flawed.

Just because one guy did it for your team last year doesn't mean it can happen to everyone.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount53
Am I the only one that has a problem with how position changes are done?

It seems like it is getting to the point where there are too many position specific attributes making it impossible to make realistic position changes (TE to T, WR to DB, RB to LB, RB to FB, etc.). Also it has an affect on ATH recruits which for the most part can only play 1 or 2 positions in the game.

The ways I can think of to fix it are:
  • Make core attributes like blocking, tackling, catching, strength, and athleticism more important
  • Give players higher ratings at the specific atributes (ex. Zone cover for a RB)
Thoughts?
I am with ya! I never understood why non-defensive players have 45 tackle ratings as if they never learned to tackle. Or how a 350 lb OL has a 40 rating on Hit power. I think for the most part 90% of players could switch positions in their career and do ok. Even QB's. Just google 2011 position changes and you will see teams moved S/CB to LB, OL to DL, DL to OL, QB to WR or DB, DE to DT, LB to DE, TE to WR and on and on and on. And although they said ATH were different last yr or the year before I have seen very little improvement on ATH recruits.

I don't think you should just be able to move a DT to LT and automatically he is good enough to start (although it does happen some times) but their should be less of a gap in ratings.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

I think this is another area like blocked punts, there is a fine line between realistic and exploitable. I would rather have stricter guidelines than too loose.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib
My honest opinion is that your definition of "Realistic position changes" is flawed.

Just because one guy did it for your team last year doesn't mean it can happen to everyone.
I disagree. Every team moves players around every year. Not all positions every year, but I can say that there is not one OL who could not play DT. He may not be an All-American but could make the transition. Whether or not he is great depends on his abilities in regards to strength, quickness etc. But the core attributes are there. Same with WR to DB, etc. Look at any roster of any of the 120 FBS schools and there are cases where players changed positions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumj
I am with ya! I never understood why non-defensive players have 45 tackle ratings as if they never learned to tackle. Or how a 350 lb OL has a 40 rating on Hit power. I think for the most part 90% of players could switch positions in their career and do ok. Even QB's. Just google 2011 position changes and you will see teams moved S/CB to LB, OL to DL, DL to OL, QB to WR or DB, DE to DT, LB to DE, TE to WR and on and on and on. And although they said ATH were different last yr or the year before I have seen very little improvement on ATH recruits.

I don't think you should just be able to move a DT to LT and automatically he is good enough to start (although it does happen some times) but their should be less of a gap in ratings.
Exactly its like they forget that in HS most of these players were the best players on their teams and played multiple positions. On my team our best player played QB, LB, S, KR, WR. Its not like these guys only know how to play one position.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib

After a short google search for 2011 positon changes I found this.

http://www.redandblack.com/2011/04/15/position-changes/
http://www.blocku.com/2011/2/17/2000...to-spring-ball
http://www.gobblercountry.com/2011/3...es-depth-chart

They happen more often than you think.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
MVP

volstopfan14's Arena

OVR: 20

Just some examples from Tennessee's team
backup RE Marlon Walls was a moved to DE from DT in the spring
backup DT Corey Miller was moved from DE to DT this spring
starting DT Daniel Hood was moved from OT to DT this srping
starting MLB Austin Johnson was moved from FB to MLB last spring
backup WLB Darryl Vereen played RB and S before moving to LB
starting CB Marsalis Teague was moved from WR to CB last year
Last season Victor Thomas, the backup C, was moved to DT and eventually became the starter there.
I agree that players need to be better suited to change positions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »