Home

Game Spot's On the Spot show tonight at 7pm

This is a discussion on Game Spot's On the Spot show tonight at 7pm within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #121
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Game Spot's On the Spot show tonight at 7pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib
Listen, I may be looking WAY too much into an early build of the game, but I just can't believe nobody else out there is seeing what I see. Let me break it down one more time.

Here is literally what you see in this vid from the user offense vs CPU defense (an Oklahoma defense I imagine has some great talent, but maybe not)

First Play: Shotgun run - Stuffed
Second play: Scamble on a pass play right up the middle for first down
Third play: Hit the post route as hes moving out the pocket across his body dead on bullet
Fourth play: hit the post route again, this time right before the guy even breaks into the route just like in online games
Fifth play: incomplete deep pass against what looks like cover 2 zone, which looked pretty well covered actually I admit that
Sixth play: Verticals for TD, looked just as effective as it was in NCAA 11, aka a Money Play
Seventh play: 2 point conversion good, scramble with QB right up the middle again

Keep in mind, the back to back post routes occur RIGHT as Ben is LITERALLY saying post routes aren't money in this game.

I have decided to stop looking at this thread because I am getting too fired up. Its early, who knows what will happen. I just pray this was in isolated incident
And if you look at the defenses, then you'll see those plays should work against the defenses. I don't like the QB throwing off the back foot, or before a WRs cut, but sliders can fix one of those problems and the other one is and will probably always be a problem with EA football games.

If it was a cover 3 or 4 shown and those vertical routes were still money, then we would need to be upset, but not against cover 2.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #122
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
And if you look at the defenses, then you'll see those plays should work against the defenses. I don't like the QB throwing off the back foot, or before a WRs cut, but sliders can fix one of those problems and the other one is and will probably always be a problem with EA football games.

If it was a cover 3 or 4 shown and those vertical routes were still money, then we would need to be upset, but not against cover 2.
Exactly. Those routes that split the safeties in a Cover 2 Zone are a weakness of that defense.

The main issue with those plays are that the pass rush is really weak.

I do find it funny that they were talking about how those routes were just money last year and then he runs 3 of them and they work -- but they were the right plays against those defenses.

Zone D does look greatly improved, I've been pretty impressed with it so far. But if you call the right plays against the right defense they should still be successful, it makes the game strategical and not cheesing. If there weren't plays to counteract a Cover 2 Zone everyone would run it 100% of the time. What we can hope for is a sense of realism and balance and I think we will have that.

Yes, the throwing on the run is questionable, and the 4th play where he hits him before he runs his route is as well. For the most part though the offensive playcalling was done well for the defenses given.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #123
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib
And everyone I ask tell me that In Cover 2 the MLB is supposed to get depth downfield.
I will just say that I think people expect too much out of a college LB in zones. Most ILBs when drafted in the NFL take a few years to learn how to cover people, at least according to Marshall Faulk.

Plus we have to consider real life offensive tendencies vs. video game tendencies. Real life offenses tend to be more conservative, relying on timing routes and short passes more. Timing is HUGE is real football offensive execution. We don't have timing routes in EA's football games. If you throw a pass to a WR who hasn't entered his cut yet he just keeps running straight. A true short passing game in EA's football games isn't really possible. Even if it was, how many gamers would even understand the reads and progressions necessary to execute the timing required?

So most players throw a higher number of medium and long routes to counter this. We'll send more guys downfield stretching the field and a video game defence has to adjust more. The game is programmed accordingly and part of it caters to the fun factor = bigger plays. As long as QB accuracy isn't too high the game can still balance the offence vs. defence.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »