Home

How to "Collegify" Player Roles

This is a discussion on How to "Collegify" Player Roles within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
How to "Collegify" Player Roles

With the recent announcement of player roles in Madden's Franchise and Superstar modes, it had me thinking about NCAA. Player roles are just as important on the collegiate level as they are on the professional level.

I know we still don't have that much information regarding this game's career modes, but I feel we probably won't see player roles. I hope to be proven wrong, but this years seems like Madden's year. NCAA gets the graphical upgrades and base upgrades like coverage while Madden gets the meat. Both games look great, but I hope NCAA's dynasty has improved as much as Madden's franchise.

I want to see roles come down to NCAA, bu I don't want them to be the exact same ones. Obviously we probably wouldn't have Mentors or Franchise Quarterbacks, but we would have injury prone, underachievers, etc. How would you like to see NCAA make the player roles fit in more with the NCAA game? I'd personally like to see off the field behavior, learning, and academic performance tied into them to make recruiting more about strategy. Do you want the athlete who will get in trouble(and suspended) or the one is isn't as good, but more consistent(new rating)?

Little touches like that would add to recruiting and the dynasty as a whole. Madden is getting confidence, consistency, and player roles. Hopefully NCAA has all those too.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: How to "Collegify" Player Roles

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Little touches like that would add to recruiting and the dynasty as a whole. Madden is getting confidence, consistency, and player roles. Hopefully NCAA has all those too.
I skipped Madden last year, and I'm glad I did. Looks like they really put some work into that game.

It's bizarre that Madden info is coming out before NCAA info, we already have screenshots and information about franchise and superstar mode.

I would really like to see NCAA implement a roles type system beyond "Impact Player" as well.

What would be REALLY cool is if they tied it in with their recruiting star rating. So a 5 star recruit that was a bust would be an underachiever, a 2 star recruit that was tearing it up would be an overachiever or a hard worker.

Would just like to see some more personalities out of the players, things to differentiate themselves from one another. I play many many years into dynasty modes and a lot of the recruits/players/teams start to feel the same b/c their aren't tendencies/personalities or play styles
Old 05-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
With the recent announcement of player roles in Madden's Franchise and Superstar modes, it had me thinking about NCAA. Player roles are just as important on the collegiate level as they are on the professional level.

I know we still don't have that much information regarding this game's career modes, but I feel we probably won't see player roles. I hope to be proven wrong, but this years seems like Madden's year. NCAA gets the graphical upgrades and base upgrades like coverage while Madden gets the meat. Both games look great, but I hope NCAA's dynasty has improved as much as Madden's franchise.

I want to see roles come down to NCAA, bu I don't want them to be the exact same ones. Obviously we probably wouldn't have Mentors or Franchise Quarterbacks, but we would have injury prone, underachievers, etc. How would you like to see NCAA make the player roles fit in more with the NCAA game? I'd personally like to see off the field behavior, learning, and academic performance tied into them to make recruiting more about strategy. Do you want the athlete who will get in trouble(and suspended) or the one is isn't as good, but more consistent(new rating)?

They had something to similar to that in last gen, it was called discipline. Every recruit or player had a letter grade attached to their profile, the lower the grade the better chance they had of messing up while on campus. Players would get suspended for off the field issues and in some instances it lead to schools being put on probation, if you didn't take action. Apparently, EA was forced to take it out because the NCAA does not want them portaying the negative aspects of college football. It was a great feature and I hope someday the NCAA lets them put it back in the game.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:29 AM   #4
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

I don't like roles like injury prone. That's what they have an injury rating for, it's redundant. If an "injury prone" role would make a player get injured more than his injury rating says he should then it just becomes a powerup...and powerups aren't needed in a football game.

They should go back and copy the way Choops 2k8 handled consistency/confidence. Then borrow from Madden and make those two ratings impact how much a player's ratings fluctuate from game to game.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
I don't like roles like injury prone. That's what they have an injury rating for, it's redundant. If an "injury prone" role would make a player get injured more than his injury rating says he should then it just becomes a powerup...and powerups aren't needed in a football game.

They should go back and copy the way Choops 2k8 handled consistency/confidence. Then borrow from Madden and make those two ratings impact how much a player's ratings fluctuate from game to game.
I like the consistency/confidence rating. But EA has ben reluctant to borrow anything from 2k. I think the 2-tier defensive play calling sytem would be a nice addition.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicejob3532
They had something to similar to that in last gen, it was called discipline. Every recruit or player had a letter grade attached to their profile, the lower the grade the better chance they had of messing up while on campus. Players would get suspended for off the field issues and in some instances it lead to schools being put on probation, if you didn't take action. Apparently, EA was forced to take it out because the NCAA does not want them portaying the negative aspects of college football. It was a great feature and I hope someday the NCAA lets them put it back in the game.
I know that, and I don't think the NCAA forced EA to take it out because I am pretty sure NCAA 11 on PS2 still has it.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »