Home

Will you buy NCAA 12 if there is no Coaching Carousel?

This is a discussion on Will you buy NCAA 12 if there is no Coaching Carousel? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #65
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Will you buy NCAA 12 if there is no Coaching Carousel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
Just an aside; I love your signature, man.

If this game had those elements, it'd truly be beastly.
Thanks dude. The sad thing about it is a game that was released 4 years ago has all those things. College Hoops 2k8 had all those features. I'm not a fan boy of any game company but I am a fan of great games. In my opinion the NCAA series can do all they want to graphics and gameplay but until they make a dynasty mode that is worth playing then I'm done with the game. I have purchased this game every year since NCAA 98 and I'm just tired of waiting. I'm old enough to know I can live without the game. Without a Coaching Carousel, Coaches that matter, the ability to full edit any player inside the dynasty mode, and dual-threat QB's who will pull it down and run on you then the NCAA series is dead to me. After 13 years of having to play the same dynasty mode with the same issues year after year I see no point in throwing down $60 + tax. I don't play online so the offline dynasty mode is the sole reason I purchase the game. I need a game that gives me a reason to play the game. I value my time and will not waist it on more crap like NCAA 11.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #66
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: No.

Quote:
I don't get why people are so enamored with a coaching carousel.

Coaches in this game mean nothing. It's a name, and nothing else. There isn't even graphical models for coaches. It's just a name, that's it.

If coaches were licensed and in the game, I could understand -- but as is, coaches are such a miniscule part of the game that I just don't understand the infatuation.
Play College Hoops 2k8 and you will see why it is a much needed feature. A coaching carousel adds depth and long term playability to the dynasty mode. Currently the dynasty mode offers game little reason to play it long then 3-4 years in. NCAA 11 showed us how messed up the mode is. Just look at any of the threads which detail the records of schools years into a dynasty. The same teams are good year in and year out and there is very little change over a 30 year period in the game. With a coaching carousel you have coaches getting fired, moving to new jobs and finial retiring so no more Joe Pa coaching until he is 110 years old. This allows for teams to rise and fall just like in real life.

To make all this work like it should then the game would have to have coaches who have ratings and system linked to them. The system and tendencies are already in the game but need to be tweaked to work better then they do. To coaches are in the game now but they only show up on one screen and have zero meaning. In real life the coaches are the biggest part of the program. A great coach can turn around a program. See Urban Meyer for a prime example. He took over a Florida program that had fallen to the middle of the SEC and turned them into a 2 time national champ in 5 years. He did it by bring in his system, recruiting like on other, then coaching his players up. The game lacks that but could be done. You give each coach ratings which effect offense, defense, recruiting, progression. This would allow for a program to bring in a Urban or Steve Sabin to turn around the program or a Ron Zook to kill a program.

As far as adding coaches names that fix is easy. You just keep them the way they are now, Coach___(team name here), but allow the user to full edit them like now. The only change is some how making the coaches part of the roster file so you can save them. The way it is now allows us to edit the names but can't save the file so for every new dynasty one would have to edit the names every time. If the coaches had their own section outside the dynasty mode then we could not only edit names but also edit their playbooks, tendencies, and even the type players they recruit per position. Some of that stuff is in the game now but just not done correctly.

The main goal of the coaching carousel is to give the dynasty mode long term playability. It prevents the mode from becoming boring due to change. I have been playing Choops2k8 for 4 years now and still have my original legacy going. I play it all the time. I'm 20 season in of a 30 year career. I can say I have not once seen the same programs at the top year after year. I have seen programs rise up and have great runs but then the coach leaves or retires and the program falls off because they make a poor hire. I have also seen the opposite of that where the right coach comes in and take the program to new heights. It makes the gamer want to play the game. It adds to the gameplay because the coaches have an effect on the game. This is a feature people have asked EA to put in for years but they fail to do it. If they ever want to take the game to the next level then they will have to put it in and build it up.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #67
Pro

sparkdawg777's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
Play College Hoops 2k8 and you will see why it is a much needed feature. A coaching carousel adds depth and long term playability to the dynasty mode. Currently the dynasty mode offers game little reason to play it long then 3-4 years in. NCAA 11 showed us how messed up the mode is. Just look at any of the threads which detail the records of schools years into a dynasty. The same teams are good year in and year out and there is very little change over a 30 year period in the game. With a coaching carousel you have coaches getting fired, moving to new jobs and finial retiring so no more Joe Pa coaching until he is 110 years old. This allows for teams to rise and fall just like in real life.

To make all this work like it should then the game would have to have coaches who have ratings and system linked to them. The system and tendencies are already in the game but need to be tweaked to work better then they do. To coaches are in the game now but they only show up on one screen and have zero meaning. In real life the coaches are the biggest part of the program. A great coach can turn around a program. See Urban Meyer for a prime example. He took over a Florida program that had fallen to the middle of the SEC and turned them into a 2 time national champ in 5 years. He did it by bring in his system, recruiting like on other, then coaching his players up. The game lacks that but could be done. You give each coach ratings which effect offense, defense, recruiting, progression. This would allow for a program to bring in a Urban or Steve Sabin to turn around the program or a Ron Zook to kill a program.

As far as adding coaches names that fix is easy. You just keep them the way they are now, Coach___(team name here), but allow the user to full edit them like now. The only change is some how making the coaches part of the roster file so you can save them. The way it is now allows us to edit the names but can't save the file so for every new dynasty one would have to edit the names every time. If the coaches had their own section outside the dynasty mode then we could not only edit names but also edit their playbooks, tendencies, and even the type players they recruit per position. Some of that stuff is in the game now but just not done correctly.

The main goal of the coaching carousel is to give the dynasty mode long term playability. It prevents the mode from becoming boring due to change. I have been playing Choops2k8 for 4 years now and still have my original legacy going. I play it all the time. I'm 20 season in of a 30 year career. I can say I have not once seen the same programs at the top year after year. I have seen programs rise up and have great runs but then the coach leaves or retires and the program falls off because they make a poor hire. I have also seen the opposite of that where the right coach comes in and take the program to new heights. It makes the gamer want to play the game. It adds to the gameplay because the coaches have an effect on the game. This is a feature people have asked EA to put in for years but they fail to do it. If they ever want to take the game to the next level then they will have to put it in and build it up.

This xInfinity

I don't get how a game from 4 years ago has this feature and EA can't implement it in there game when there's 200 less teams than basketball.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #68
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
I don't get why people are so enamored with a coaching carousel.

Coaches in this game mean nothing. It's a name, and nothing else. There isn't even graphical models for coaches. It's just a name, that's it.

If coaches were licensed and in the game, I could understand -- but as is, coaches are such a miniscule part of the game that I just don't understand the infatuation.
Because people seem to be using coaching carousel as a blanket term that includes things like: ratings for every coach, recruiting styles, assistant coaches, etc.

The coaching carousel is just the way coaches get hired/fired and change jobs at the end of the season. I hope if/when EA implements one they realize it needs to be more than that, because you're right: if every coach is the same it's irrelevant if they change schools.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #69
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by I bleed Orange 24/7
Alright, I would love to see CC so this next comment is just a thought of why they haven't given it to us yet.

- The devolopers know that if they throw in CC at full force, with coordinators and coaches flopping to other schools taking their style of play with them, that this game would be at a stalemate. All they could do every year is add improvements to gameplay. So you have to think yes I want CC, and it would probably be my last NCAA game to buy for 3-5 years if they added that, because I would run a 30 year dynasty if they had that and there would be no use of buying a new NCAA title until you ran your 30 years up once or twice, and they had added a few years of improvements to the games.

Thats just my opinion but I think that is one main reason they are slow playing adding CC
Two words, TRANSFERABLE DYNASTY! It's the next frontier.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by justblaze09
We had character models in the last gen games as well, and where was the coaching carousel in dynasty?
Yeah, I get that. I was just pointing it out because he said there are no graphical models for the coaches.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #71
Rookie

stevensa08's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
Coaching carousel is a nice idea, but has zero affect on my purchasing.
Yes to this. I am more concerned about game play than anything else. Graphics are good, entrances are good, added dreads is good, updated equipment is nice, but if the quarterback is sitting there with 20-30 yards of open field and he doesnt take off and run, thats a problem for me. Having my qb get smashed out of bounds on a late hit, another problem.

I'll take the coaching carousel, but the game will be bought if it isn't in it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #72
Rookie

MrMiller84's Arena

OVR: 0

I will still purchase the game, but I will definitely be dissapointed. However if the info we get soon reflect some sort of dealing with "character" guys or dealing with off the field issues I would definitely be pleased.

MICHIGAN WOLVERINES
JACKSON STATE TIGERS
DALLAS COWBOYS
CHICAGO BULLS
ATLANTA BRAVES

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »