Home

No CPU QB Scramble, No Peace, must have for NCAA 12

This is a discussion on No CPU QB Scramble, No Peace, must have for NCAA 12 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Icon1 No CPU QB Scramble, No Peace, must have for NCAA 12

NCAA Football 11 Photo

Look at the above picture. In that picture you see CPU QB from Baylor, Griffin. With my roster he has 90 ball carrier vision, 90 agility, 85 awareness, 90 elusiveness, 88 speed, 96 acceleration.

Sounds impressive right ? However in a full game with 8 minute quarters on all american, he was sacked 6 times, threw 6 interceptions. With 4 of those interceptions coming from the cpu trying to force the ball in double and triple coverage. He didn't attempt to scramble AT ALL. Not once.

In this picture he side stepped 6 steps to the right. I blitzed the left side of his offensive line. You can clearly see because of this, HE HAS NOBODY IN FRONT OF HIM, got 1 defender about to hit him from behind with another about to do the same thing.

Now let me tell you how long the QB held on to the ball. Number 96 is the RE, he got chopped block at the beginning of the play, got up off the ground and is now a few yards from nailing the QB.

This is how long the CPU QB hold on to the ball in the NCAA series this whole generation. Instead of scrambling, they just stand there.

Now let me tell you what happened next. The QB turns towards 96 the RE and tried to fire the ball back across the field to a WR that was double covered. However he got sacked in mid throwing motion.

This kind of thing happens over and over in NCAA 11. QBs don't scramble when they have a clear wide open running lane. They don't try to use their speed or agility at all. Hell they don't even side step to the left, the only direction they ever side step is to the right and they will keep doing that until they either hit the sideline or get sacked.

Now I asked Ben doing the developer chat last week if cpu QBs will scramble, he said they would in the appropriate situation. However doing that same developer when Ben played a quarter against the cpu, the cpu QB didn't scramble not one time. Instead they were still doing the same side step to the right a few feet then fire it into double coverage routine.

Doing the Gamespot interview, when they were playing the cpu again for a quarter, the same thing happened. The cpu QB didnt scramble at all and did the same routine.

When will they address this issue ??? Hopefully one day Mike Scrantlebury can be in one of these developer chats since he is the game play AI guy for NCAA and Madden.

The theme of NCAA and Madden this year is presentation....Suppose to have the look and feel of being there and of watching it on tv. If that is the case, how can they NOT have CPU SCRAMBLING QBs ?????

Roy Harvery said Friday he lets the game run in his office cpu vs cpu while he is testing stats. Maybe while Roy is doing that and checking stats, maybe he should be checking the QBs rushing stats and rushing attempts per a game along with the sacks per a game.

Scrambling QBs is a HUGE part of football. What is the point of having tendancy description of Pocket QB, Balanced or Scrambler if it doesn't do anything or effect how the AI behaves on the field ?

Their whole QB logic needs to be re-coded, tweaked or something. It has gotten to the point now I have to hold back on defense when I play dynasty against the cpu. Why ? Because I know the CPU QB is a sitting duck. If I blitz it is a sack 90% of the time and an interception the other 10% of the time because the QB don't ever run away, he either takes the sack or forces it in double or triple coverage.

I haven't had to use a QB spy play or QB contain line adjustment in a NCAA or Madden football game since the 2006 version back on the PS2. This whole generation on the Xbox 360 starting with 2007, every year we keep getting from Ben and Russ we will address it next year.

Next year comes and nothing, then we get we will address next year again.

Now I find it hard to believe that you can put animals that run on the field and marching bands in the game, but you can't put QBs that scramble in the game ? Come on !!!!

Really kind of surprised that out of all of the EA Game Changers that go to community day, have access to the developers, that tweet them back and forth on a daily basis, that NONE of them, NOT ONE of them EVER brought up the fact that none of the CPU QBs don't ever scramble in the game over the past 4 or 5 years ?

One of them has to have noticed and brought it up or something. Don't tell me NONE of them ever play against the cpu and play online only.

I just know I can't be the only that noticed it over the past 4 years and gets ticked off about it. CPU scrambling QBs is a huge part of the college football game experience.

This needs to be addressed and made sure it actually happens in NCAA 12. There is no excuse.

Why not just have a scramble slider ? I mean you guys have a break tackle slider in Madden, even a fumble slider. So what's wrong with a scramble slider ?

Don't want a slider, then what about a scramble attribute ? The higher it is, the more likely that QB will take off and run.

Or you can call it a pocket awareness attribute. QBs with a high rating in that would more likely see that the pocket is broke and that a blitzer or defensive lineman has gotten free, so therefore they take off running.

When the day comes when NCAA series do get scrambling QBs, I hope they have them run in all directions. Not everybody rolls out to the right ALL THE TIME. Should be situational based. Depending on where the pressure is coming from, they run to the right, run to the left, run up the middle, juke left, juke right, spin to the left, spin to the right.

They also need to run with a purpose. They need to always be trying to fight for extra yards and get away from the defender.

Quote:
The gang tackling is really a nice addition. On one play I remember the HB getting stacked up by 5-6 guys but he kept his feet churning until the ref blew his whistle for forward progress and the defenders just pushed him away without anyone ever falling to the ground.

http://www.traditionfootball.com/ind...otball-review/
I read that and thought hmmmmm, I never seen that happened in this game before. What game was he playing ? Must have been the alpha build or something, sure wasn't retail build.

I never seen a gang tackle that ended like that. Hell never seen a 6 man gang tackle. The most I seen was 3 and the results always ended the same. Everybody either fell backwards or fell forward. But I never seen everybody legs still running and they just end in a stalemate still standing and the whistle blows.

It would have been cool to see, I guess they took that out before the retail version.

Anyway this post is long enough. No cpu QB scramble, no peace

Must have for NCAA 12
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: No CPU QB Scramble, No Peace, must have for NCAA 12

I asked this question a couple times on Twitter doing the Ustream thing on Facebook on Friday, will scrambling QB's have a higher tendency to scramble. They didn't bite.

Scantlebury (the gampeplay guy) also didn't show up so they didn't really answer a whole lot of gameplay questions.

Next live chat type thing I'll push to get an answer on this if I can
Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
Rookie

Completely agree. I remember this being the biggest issue for NCAA 11. I have no clue why it seems like it wasn't touched for 12. In a year where the NC game featured 2 scrambling QB's, including the HEISMAN WINNER and #1 overall pick in the NFL, they don't feel that it's a worthy enough upgrade.
Go Mavericks!
Go Rangers!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Yeah its really annoying playing a QB like Denard Robinson and not have to gameplan to stop him from scrambling.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffJuff
Yeah its really annoying playing a QB like Denard Robinson and not have to gameplan to stop him from scrambling.
Exactly! I'm a Longhorn so I play as Texas, and Nebraska was the easiest team in the world to defend. CPU option, read option, and scrambling QB logic is completely broken.
Go Mavericks!
Go Rangers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
Rookie

stevensa08's Arena

Agree 100% Playing offline dynasties on 11, I have had the CPU take off for some good runs and thought to myself, if this was done 10-15 times a game by a running QB, the CPU would be dangerous.
I hope it gets addressed very soon, because it is very important to the gameplay.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:10 AM   #7
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Very important indeed. The CPU lacks danger from mobile QBs. Because of that, despite 120 ways to win, all the schools on here plays the same way.

It is either a passing play or a running play. Don't ever have to worry about the QB running on you at all. Sometimes I drop all my defensive linemen back into zone and the QB just stands there like his feet is cemented to the ground.

The QB thought processing logic is severely flawed. A scrambler QB should scramble no less then 20 times a game. Balanced no less then 12 times and a pocket QB no less then 7 times a game.

I mean even Peyton Manning would scramble if left a wide open running lane and he only needs 4 yards for a 1st down.

They should program the QB to think this way:

IF I see a running lane, my speed is 76, I need less then 5 yards for a 1st down, let me run for it.

IF I see a running lane, my speed is 85 and above, I will use my speed to get as many yards as I can, my priority is to run for the TD.

IF I see a blitzer get free through the line, let me use my juking, spinning and stiff arm moves to try to run away from the pressure. I must avoid being sacked at all costs.

IF my speed is below 74, but I see a defender coming, I will still try to run and avoid being sacked at all costs. Even if I only get a yard, it is better then negative yards.

That should be the mindset of cpu QBs, to avoid being sacked at all costs. And if a QB knows he has the speed advantage, he should exploit the situation and try to run all the time until the defense STOPS HIM.

The days of the CPU QB just sitting there in the pocket all day long, not scrambling, taking sacks or forcing a pass into double coverage needs to stop.

Game play should take priority over everything else.

I long for the day when I have to be fearful of a school with a mobile QB. Where I have to use QB contain or spy the QB plays or be careful not blitz from one side only because the QB will just run out the opposite side of the pocket.

And I don't want to hear they need a new engine, because they don't. IF they can put running animals, flying animals, motorcycles and cars driving on to the field, then damn it they can put scrambling QBs in the game.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:49 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 19

This is what bothers me most.

We've been finding issues out and remedies since being no Next-Gen, but the core under-the-hood stuff constantly is overshadowed by folks awed with the Visual upgrades.

Even worst is every year the voices trying to improve on these things are often met with sarcasm and awful attempts to sound intellegent.

One poster on another Forum asked a guy who was all happy because he participated in the invites twice, it they were really voicing what the communtiy wanted.

Naturally the guy and other posters jump on him as usual, but he just wanted to know how fellow gamers can have direct access with the Dev's, yet issues from prior releases have con't to remain.

If they're not going to re-tune game logic (we know that's not going to happen), at least they could do is provide an Editor that allows us to tweak Player/Recruit Ratings anytime to help Gameplay.

I'm trying to understand why they refuse to provide an Editor.

At this point, to be honest, I just want someone else to get a shot a providing us a College Football game.

As long as people con't to pay $65 for their baby steps, don't expect too much change anytime soon.

Last edited by khaliib; 05-16-2011 at 02:52 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »