Home

Is it cheese??? DB at WR or WR at TE

This is a discussion on Is it cheese??? DB at WR or WR at TE within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is it cheese?
DB playing WR 1 0.75%
WR playing TE 6 4.48%
CB playing QB 11 8.21%
FS playing DE 6 4.48%
All are cheese 48 35.82%
Some are cheese 43 32.09%
None are cheese 19 14.18%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
Pro

FAIRDALE_KINGS's Arena

OVR: 13
Is it cheese??? DB at WR or WR at TE

Basically I want to know what the community feels about:

DB at WR
WR at TE
CB at QB
FS at DE
All are cheese
Some are Cheese
None are cheese

Backstory:
I was playing in an online dynasty with five other guys. In year 2035, one of the guys coaching LSU began playing his 95 overall FS at WR (99 speed, 99 acceleration, 76 catch). The thing is that he wasn't even playing defense because he was the third-best Free Safety on the roster. The guy is 46 years old and is a great guy. He has been the commissioner of multiple leagues and other online dynasties that I have played in. He's actually won four BCS titles during our current 25 year dynasty. After the season was over the commish (Alabama) told the guy that if wanted to continue using the Free Safety on offense as a Wide Receiver that he needed to change his position to WR. He was no longer allowed to use Formation Subs and play the FS at WR. He would have to take the penalty and lose his 87 Awareness.

When week seven arrived in 2036 and the commish (who has won 15 titles) was looking at the stats he noticed that the Free Safety was still playing Wide Receiver... and was also listed at the #3 CB. (No big deal about a FS playing CB... but it was weird because the starting FS was an 80 overall.) The commish wasn't upset. In fact, he told the LSU coach that he could play the FS at WR and that he would beat him by 42 points again this year... But in the future there would be an "official" league rule prohibiting such tactics.

The commish argued that it would be cheese using a fast CB at QB exclusively to run Ace Big Speed Option all day... or line-up in 5 WR and run Four Verticals and scramble with a 99 speed player. He said that FS or CB at WR was no different than a CB at QB or using a FS lined up at DE.

Well... the LSU coach resigned immediately and said that he couldn't remain in the dynasty under those conditions. And that the rule ruins the spirit of the college game. When I talked to the LSU coach about the issue he brought up Deion Sanders (Cowboys WR/CB), Troy Brown (Patriots WR/CB) and Devin Hester (Bears WR/CB).

I told him that those arguments were apples and oranges. You can not compare college football with pro football. In college the players are only allowed to practice 20 hours per week. In pro football there are no limits and they can watch film all day. I also shot down his examples and let him know that Deion and Devin Hester never had a reception in college. And that Troy Brown had one interception at Marshall during the 1-AA National Championship intercepting a Hail Mary vs. Youngstown State. He was only use in prevent.

I also understand that Chris Gamble (Ohio State) and Charles Woodson (Michigan) had significant impacts as players that played both ways. Gamble started 5 games in 2002 on both offense and defense. Woodson had 25 catches and 3 TDs in two years playing both ways.

Anyway... I'm the commissioner of a 1* dynasty which we just started two weeks ago. Right before all of this happened in the other dynasty. Today I played the LSU guy who is coaching New Mexico State in my dynasty. Recently I purchased the Hauppauge! so that I can record my dynasty games. After the game was over I tallied the totals and discovered that the N.M. State coach had played his best CB at Wide Receiver for 23 of the 36 plays either in Ace Big or Pistol Slot.

Five of those plays that he didn't line-up on offense he was in either Goal Line (twice) or 5 WR (three) throwing Hail Mary passes. So basically 23 of 31 plays this guy lined up his CB at Wide Receiver. Fourteen times he lined up his 95 speed WR at Tight End against my 74 speed outside linebackers playing for Army.

My feelings are that he is just lining up his fastest players and trying to exploit their speed. He user catches everything and he threw multiple bombs to the CB. Yes he caught 1 pass for 50 yards but I defended the other four attempts. The WR didn't kill me by any means but it is BS to defend. I don't want to be forced to use my fastest WR at CB to defend his CB at WR. His WR at Tight End caught two critical passes in the first and second overtime periods leaving the slower LBer covering him as he ran Inside Cross. Again... it is hard enough trying to defend TE's running crossing patterns because they can NOT be bumped at the line. But now defending a blazing fast WR lined up at TE who is unbumpable running a crossing route is worse. I don't want to put a CB at LB to guard him in the Ace Big set.

If I wanted to play this way I would use play in the East Lobby online and not in a dynasty with friends.

Please share your thoughts and discuss...

Last edited by FAIRDALE_KINGS; 05-21-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Is it cheese??? DB at WR or WR at TE

CB @ QB and FS @ DE are cheese and would never happen in real life. The others however have happened in real life before.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Pro

FAIRDALE_KINGS's Arena

OVR: 13

Ok....

I understand that they have happened before. But can you justify a player playing CB for every snap on defense, 23 of 31 snaps on offense at WR, returning punts & kick-offs... and never becoming fatigued???

If someone wants to use a guy for a few plays here and there in special packages I may not have such a problem with a CB or FS playing WR. Just not 75% of the time.

Also... a 6'1 169 lb Wide Receiver lined up at Tight End would get destroyed. Instead the guy played in the Ace Big formation 14 plays and he actually had three pancake blocks against my DE and OLB.

That's realistic?!? That would happen in a real game.

Last edited by FAIRDALE_KINGS; 05-21-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26

I'm going with all Cheese on this one, because to me, they're are clearly being abused.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Old 05-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 11

Experimenting isn't a bad thing. I watched Oklahoma do this for years as well as any other school in America. Roy Williams played snaps on the line in the 2000 National Championship game as well at Linebacker and Safety.Andre Wolfolk played everywhere Bobby Stoops begged him to play. Utility guys are supposed to be special.

Last edited by 3bitz; 05-21-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Rookie

usc50's Arena

OVR: 6

Cheesing, all of them. Why did you allow him in your 1* dynasty when you know that he quit another dynasty because he wasn't allowed to cheese?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

When it's used to take advantage of the mis-match, or abused over and over, it gets cheesy. Putting an exceptionally fast player at an unnatural position to beat slower defenders is understandably frustrating for the opposition.

But taking a FS, and using him solely as a WR, and not switching him to the position because of the drop in ratings, is fine in my book. Really, it's about how the player is playing with these players in different positions.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
MVP

volstopfan14's Arena

OVR: 20

CB at QB and FS at DE are cheese. I think it's ok if a DB gets a few snaps on offense but not full time. If a WR is playing TE, it really depends on the player for me. If it is some little Percy Harvin type WR, then yes it is cheese. If it is a big receiver like Brandon Marshall I think it is ok.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »