Home

Player Progression in NCAA Football 12

This is a discussion on Player Progression in NCAA Football 12 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #17
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Player Progression in NCAA Football 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_457
What's yours?

I'm going by a standard Academic scale of sorts. Basically 69 and lower= F.

Ask anyone who tried to build up a low start school, the vast majority of players, including 4 stars, were under that.
the game rates it differently. 69 would either be a C- or D+, basically 60-69 would be in the D's and anything below 59 would be in the F's. even with that said, most of those low rated 4 stars end up in the high 80s low 90s by the time they graduate from my experience.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 05-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the easiest way to grade players is to have a present/potential value. A freshman obviously isn't experienced and therefore doesn't have high ratings, but many should have that potential.

Something like this would be a nice addition:

(Quarterback)
Present/Potential: 65/80 (and this potential value can increase or decrease year to year, based on stats, work ethic, etc - but it's a good baseline for recruiting)
Throw Power: 75/75
Throw Accuracy: 60/80
Awareness: 50/76
Reading Coverage: 40/70
Speed: 65/68

There are certain attributes that won't change much while someone is on campus (speed, etc) and that should be reflected. This would help with recruiting too, because it'd distinguish which player is "raw" and which is "maxed out". Perhaps when recruiting we could see certain potential values through Nike camps or visiting high school games.

Just an idea.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #19
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
the game rates it differently. 69 would either be a C- or D+, basically 60-69 would be in the D's and anything below 59 would be in the F's. even with that said, most of those low rated 4 stars end up in the high 80s low 90s by the time they graduate from my experience.
Either way, I personally think that the average for 3 star recruits(considering they're basically the median) should be in the C range. If that's about 72, then that's good. Last year though, they went overboard, and made pretty much everyone awful. Stretched out ratings are fine in theory, but it was poorly executed. The game needs balanced in a lot of area's before the attempting to stretch the ratings imo.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Old 05-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #20
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_457
Either way, I personally think that the average for 3 star recruits(considering they're basically the median) should be in the C range. If that's about 72, then that's good. Last year though, they went overboard, and made pretty much everyone awful. Stretched out ratings are fine in theory, but it was poorly executed. The game needs balanced in a lot of area's before the attempting to stretch the ratings imo.
Yea stretched out ratings are good in theory, but the way that ratings are in this game makes it hard to do. Players pretty much have to be above a certain rating to do anything effectively. (kickers under 80 routinely miss extra points)

I guess a better way to say it is that players play only as good as their ratings are, but not by how much better they are than the other players on the field (a ~60 rated lineman can't block regardless of who they are trying to block). Good players are better than bad players, but bad players aren't better than worse players.

Last edited by Catamount53; 05-22-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #21
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
I HATE the idea of hiding ratings! Hiding just overall cool but just hiding all of them, no. I can't watch their games in hs and gauge them overall so I like to see them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporub83
It is an unreasonable idea to hide ratings. If you hide ratings then we would have to watch practices to see which guys are better. Not to mention we would have no baseline for most physical attributes. Instead of a jump rating would it just be his vertical in inches?
Exactly! LOL

I will never understand why some people react this way to such a realistic OPTION. I hope people realize that in real life, players are evaluated based on performance and statistical data. With an OPTION to hide ratings, turned on, that's what users in NCAA/Madden would be left with.

Ideally, it would be best if they included ALL player statistical data, like 40 times, bench press, etc, to go along with game stats but it's not a necessity. I think some people overlook how much more fun and immersive it could be to actually have to see players perform on the field, for you to fully evaluate how good YOU FEEL they are, instead a numeric value deciding for you.

Take the OP's example, if he wins the Heisman with that QB, why does he care what his numerical ratings suggest, if he couldn't see them? All he would know is that, this QB performs well for him and that's all that should matter. Then, if NCAA import draft classes are tuned correctly, that same Heisman QB with a "hidden" 60 OVR rating, could be projected as a 6th or 7th rounder in the Madden draft. Very realistic.

Keep in mind, the numerical ratings would still exist "under the hood" but just not be displayed. Free your mind people! LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #22
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
Exactly! LOL

I will never understand why some people react this way to such a realistic OPTION. I hope people realize that in real life, players are evaluated based on performance and statistical data. With an OPTION to hide ratings, turned on, that's what users in NCAA/Madden would be left with.

Ideally, it would be best if they included ALL player statistical data, like 40 times, bench press, etc, to go along with game stats but it's not a necessity. I think some people overlook how much more fun and immersive it could be to actually have to see players perform on the field, for you to fully evaluate how good YOU FEEL they are, instead a numeric value deciding for you.

Take the OP's example, if he wins the Heisman with that QB, why does he care what his numerical ratings suggest, if he couldn't see them? All he would know is that, this QB performs well for him and that's all that should matter. Then, if NCAA import draft classes are tuned correctly, that same Heisman QB with a "hidden" 60 OVR rating, could be projected as a 6th or 7th rounder in the Madden draft. Very realistic.

Keep in mind, the numerical ratings would still exist "under the hood" but just not be displayed. Free your mind people! LOL
I think what they're trying to say is that it would take a ton of time to manually evaluate every recruit in the game in order to figure out who is good or not. I like the idea of hiding overall ratings, but I agree with the two posters you quoted in that I don't want all ratings hidden. While you might be able to tell someone's jumping ability from their vertical, how do you figure out some other rating that can't be objectively measured? I don't think it is possible for the guys at EA to give you a way to play with every recruit they generate or give you highlights of them so you can evaluate them yourself. I completely agree with giving gamers more options and control, but I just don't see this as feasible to implement.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #23
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
Exactly! LOL

I don't have time to sit there and watch my guys practice and run wind sprints. Sometimes I want to sit down and just play a game.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:58 AM   #24
cts
Two Oh Six

cts's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorg
I don't have time to sit there and watch my guys practice and run wind sprints. Sometimes I want to sit down and just play a game.
That's about how I feel. Now, 10-15 years ago...sure, I probably could have gotten into that. But it wouldn't even be possible now.

I'd be all for there being no OVR shown. I've kind of gotten used to ignoring OVR over the years that I was playing in GM leagues for Madden, where it's played out cpu vs. cpu.

Seattle Seahawks | Seattle Sonics | Seattle Mariners |Washington Huskies | Montana State Bobcats

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »