Home

Why AREN'T specific positions in NCAA?

This is a discussion on Why AREN'T specific positions in NCAA? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Why AREN'T specific positions in NCAA?

I remember in the beginning when Madden 1st came out, they used real play names and over all the play calling screen was more complex.

Offense was broken into read plays, pass plays and run plays. Instead of HB dive, you had A Gap 24.

Defense was broken into blitzes, zones, Man.

However the early Madden games didn't sale to well because it was using words that your average person didn't understand and people complained the play calling process was too complicated.

So they streamlined it. Now it is just passing and running plays, color chartered. Using casual everyday words like toss, sweep.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WipeOut464
Not hating, but think about it - is there a good reason why true positions aren't in the game?

Strongside LB, Weakside LB, Joker/Mo LB, Nose Tackle, Slot Receiver, etc. These are fundamental components of true football and have never been implemented in the 10 year history of modern console football. Can it possibly be that complicated?

My money says that their use would be too sim and scare away the casual crowd. And that's where EA makes their money. Again, not hating on EA here, but c'mon, true positions would be killer.
Well if you had weak side & strong side the defense would have to react to the offenses formation. Add 2 tight formations and now you have to decide how to call strength. It would take some coding, but it would make the game SOOOOO much better. I'd like to see the ability to call defenses by field and boundary as well.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23

How about all the different positions in different types of defenses or offenses as well. A B-Back in an option offense is a lot different than a fullback. It would also really help the overall rating better apply to players. If I put a solid runner at the fullback position now his overall is terrible, but he is perfect to run the option with.

That is what NFL Head Coach did best, adjusting player ratings based on your schemes.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 20

I think it's fairly obvious the reason this stuff isn't in the game (and like how the depth chart doesn't understand what the hell a 3-3-5 is and which positions need more depth than others) is because they'd have to rewrite all the depthchart code and whatnot. And obviously that's too much work or something.

(Not meaning to bash, I just literally think it's pretty obvious.)
Old 05-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
I think it's fairly obvious the reason this stuff isn't in the game (and like how the depth chart doesn't understand what the hell a 3-3-5 is and which positions need more depth than others) is because they'd have to rewrite all the depthchart code and whatnot. And obviously that's too much work or something.

(Not meaning to bash, I just literally think it's pretty obvious.)
I agree. I doubt its them trying to dumb down the game, they just have other priorities and this could be a lot of work for minimal gain.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #14
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5

This conversation has been had here on the boards before. I think the consensus is that specific names are just that. They are specific to various offenses or defenses. It keeps things simple across the board by having generic names. Now, as a coach, I agree that I'd like to have specific type of names, but I could see where it would really complicate things. I'd much rather have them focus on many other things in the game.

In fact, I'd like some positional things, especially for dynasty mode purposes, be more generic. I want to land an OLB, not an ROLB. I know we can change this stuff through position changes. I'd just like to recruit a S or a T. Then when you get them on your team, you see where they fit better. But again I could see this complicating things, especially for the casual gamer.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I just think have basic SAM, WILL, DB, DL could work for defense. Then on offense we have OL, Back, QB, Slot WR, WR, etc.

In real life the best 5 lineman at a school make up the offensive line. Thats how the game should be. No LG players, RG, LT, etc. Let us decide if thats the position we want the at. I know that we can basically do this now, but the CPU can't.

With something like that the CPU could have a set number for a rating and whoever has that rating and others as well plays a LT or something. Instead of them having a LT and LG on their roster, they'd go through the ratings, pick the OL who has the best pass blocking rating and put him at LT. Then they'd put their quicker guys at the G spot.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #16
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

Some of that stuff is technically in the game but labeled in a basic way. Like the third reciever on the depth chart is pretty much the slot reciever the game just does not call it that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »