Home

Option teams will recruit scambling QBs, But...

This is a discussion on Option teams will recruit scambling QBs, But... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Option teams will recruit scambling QBs, But...

Ok... So we know that "Option" teams will recruit scrambling QBs... That's great... but how many teams are listed as "Option teams" right now? 3-5?

My concern is for teams that are currently listed as "Spread" like Oregon, Auburn, etc that use the read-option as a staple play... are they still going to recruit pocket passers?

This is a HUGE concern for me because there are A LOT more "Spread" teams that use the Read-Option as a staple play than there are "Option" teams who use the wish-bone primarily.

There is nothing worse than playing against a Zone-Read team after 4-5 years in a dynasty. Once all of real QBs have left they are filled with with QBs that have 50-60 speed ratings.

Last edited by greasyindiekid; 05-28-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2011, 03:31 AM   #2
Rookie

RamblinWreck21's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Option teams will recruit scambling QBs, But...

Good question and I don't know if it has been answered, but spread type teams do seem to take chances on Pocket Passers more than strict Option teams....Look at Brantley at Florida. Florida also went after Aaron Murray as well. Obviously they prefer scrambling QBs and they can use their full playbooks with them, but some of these spread playbooks can legitimately be run by pocket passers with success. The Wishbone offense....not so much. Basically what I'm saying is yes, you are right, this should be fixed, but I think the Spread teams should take a few chances on pocket passers if they are highly rated and interested in the school. As for the typical under center option teams, they should almost strictly go after scrambling Qbs. I don't think Paul Johnson would even waste his time with a 5 star recruit interested in us unless he could at least sorta run.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:58 AM   #3
Pro

JalenTigh's Arena

OVR: 6

I read somewhere (not an official EA blog) that Spread teams will go after balanced QB's. If true, the question is have they tuned QB ratings to be more accurate in the QB's role... because In the past I have seen some downright SLOW "balanced" QB's who should have been 'Pocket Passers", and "scramblers" who should have been "balanced".

Georgia

College Basketball
Maryland
Georgetown

NFL
Washington Redskins
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens

Old 05-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenTigh
I read somewhere (not an official EA blog) that Spread teams will go after balanced QB's. If true, the question is have they tuned QB ratings to be more accurate in the QB's role... because In the past I have seen some downright SLOW "balanced" QB's who should have been 'Pocket Passers", and "scramblers" who should have been "balanced".
Agreed. They need to have the ratings for the QB's a little more accurate.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Rookie

Seanzie's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm just hoping that this has been tuned properly, or at least can be changed in tuner packs. I doubt it will be perfect out of the box.

Option teams need to recruit scrambling QBs or athletes who play QB exclusively. Pistol offenses should lean scrambler, but also be open to really good balanced QBs. Spread, one back, pro style, etc. need to go after the best QBs available.

This should also be tied in to coach preferences as well, which should be in next year along with some ratings. For example, Chip Kelly, who runs a spread offense at Oregon, seems to prefer scramblers over pocket passers even though he doesn't run an option offense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Rookie

BIGD419's Arena

OVR: 5

I think they need some sort of "slider" that dictates how important it is for a team to recruit a specific type of player. Sounds confusing, I know, but here's an example using QB's as an example....

5- With the slider set at 5, the team should almost-exclusively be interested in scrambling QB's. Teams set at 5 should recruit 80%+ scrambling QB's.

4- With the slider set at 4, the team should target more scrambling QB's, but settle for more of a "balanced" option if the talent level is there. Teams set at 4 should recruit something like 65% scrambling QB's

3- With the slider set at 3, teams should be indifferent to what kind of quarterback s they recruit. 50/50 recruiting, just try to get the best QB available.

2- With the slider set at 2, the team should target more pocket passers, but be willing to settle for more of a balanced QB if the overall level of talent is there. Teams set at 2 should recruit about 65% pocket passers.

1- With the slider set at 1, the team should target almost-exclusively pocket passers. Teams set at 1 should recruit about 80%+ pocket passers.

Just my $.02.

Last edited by BIGD419; 05-28-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

Help me out here. You're expressing concerns about CPU teams recruiting based on a more realistic set of circumstances, whereas last year CPU teams didn't? You'd prefer the old system?

First of all, Jordan didn't indicate that this only applies to QB's. Second, he stated that it was one of the earliest adjustments, so it's likely that it's received plenty of scrutiny. Afterall, if it didn't work, would he post it?

But look at the bigger issue: If CPU teams run more than pass, blitz more than play zone, whatever... now it sounds like they'll recruit based on their overall team needs AND positional needs. It's like NFL teams drafting based on team need rather than "best available".
Old 05-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413
Help me out here. You're expressing concerns about CPU teams recruiting based on a more realistic set of circumstances, whereas last year CPU teams didn't? You'd prefer the old system?

First of all, Jordan didn't indicate that this only applies to QB's. Second, he stated that it was one of the earliest adjustments, so it's likely that it's received plenty of scrutiny. Afterall, if it didn't work, would he post it?

But look at the bigger issue: If CPU teams run more than pass, blitz more than play zone, whatever... now it sounds like they'll recruit based on their overall team needs AND positional needs. It's like NFL teams drafting based on team need rather than "best available".
College teams (most) don't recruit for BPA. They go for system recruiting. You can't compare pro and college in that aspect. I don't want to see a Peyton Manning type QB at Georgia Tech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »