Home

Playoff system and custom conferences

This is a discussion on Playoff system and custom conferences within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #17
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Playoff system and custom conferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
You can't delete conferences. Must have 11 conferences + one independent.
weak sauce
Old 05-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

you really think the lawyers for NCAA approved deleting the conferences? or let you rename them? this is also why we cant add more teams. when the conference change came in 04 the ncaa wouldn't let EA make the change for the upcoming year. you guys have to remember the NCAA has the say on all of this. and all the teams make money off the game. this stuff is very closely watched. although we have alot of great ideas and im sure ea does also its the ncaa's call.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #19
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
I like this sort of thing a lot. And it will be made infinitely better this year thanks to being able to select bowl tie-ins.
This. I'm doing eight conferences of the top 108 teams and leaving 3 conferences of 4 teams and 2 in the independents. Some conferences will have 14 teams, others 12. I will do it by prestige and location, such as adding USF and UCF to the same conference as FSU, Miami, and Florida, but I'll leave out FIU and FAU.

Georgia and GaTech will be in same conference as will Clemson and S. Carolina. ECU will join N Carolina, NC St., Duke, Wake Forest, etc. You get my point. Arkansas St. will not join Arkansas, UAB and Troy will be together but not with Bama and Auburn.

USM might join Ole Miss and Miss St because most of the 90's and half the 2000's they were the best team in Mississippi.

The big thing I have to do is figure out which 14 teams are the worst 14. San Jose and Western Kentucky are the easy ones.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
Pro

Andrews85's Arena

OVR: 9

So if I added teams to the Big East to get to 12 teams, would that automatically give them a conference championship game?
AFL: Pittsburgh Power
NCAA: PITT Panthers

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."
- Jack Lambert
Old 05-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts238shaun
This. I'm doing eight conferences of the top 108 teams and leaving 3 conferences of 4 teams and 2 in the independents. Some conferences will have 14 teams, others 12. I will do it by prestige and location, such as adding USF and UCF to the same conference as FSU, Miami, and Florida, but I'll leave out FIU and FAU.

Georgia and GaTech will be in same conference as will Clemson and S. Carolina. ECU will join N Carolina, NC St., Duke, Wake Forest, etc. You get my point. Arkansas St. will not join Arkansas, UAB and Troy will be together but not with Bama and Auburn.

USM might join Ole Miss and Miss St because most of the 90's and half the 2000's they were the best team in Mississippi.

The big thing I have to do is figure out which 14 teams are the worst 14. San Jose and Western Kentucky are the easy ones.
108 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 122. Not gonna fly. 106 teams in 8 conferences and you are golden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

Six 16 team conferences(the maximum number of 16 teams conferences you can have in the game) might be the best way to go as this would give 96 teams a fair shot at competing for the National Championship, and BCS bowls. Only 24 scrub teams would be left out in the cold. Keep the 6 BCS conferences intact, and just fill them up to 16 with the best remaining teams from the other conferences, and independents.

Last edited by dennis580; 05-31-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #23
Pro

Kcordloh's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis580
Six 16 team conferences(the maximum number of 16 teams conferences you can have in the game) might be the best way to go as this would give 96 teams a fair shot at competing for the National Championship, and BCS bowls. Only 24 scrub teams would be left out in the cold. Keep the 6 BCS conferences intact, and just fill them up to 16 with the best remaining teams from the other conferences, and independents.
Not exactly equal opportunity though.
If NCAA 2012 shares the same bias as 2011 did, an undefeated BCS team from the SEC will get chosen over an undefeated Big 12 team, etc.

Here is my worry, and it might be unfounded. With 16 team super conferences, what say a team left in the WAC (San Jose State) goes 12-0? It's hard to imagine many undefeated teams in 16 team SC's, at least not the 2-6+ I got consistently in NCAA 2011.
Plus, with 16 team conferences they get 2-3 OOCG's a year, (9 conference games per year). So the odds of them getting all 24 of the non-AQ schools scheduled and knocking them odd are good, but what if the weak AQ schools get the games?

I forsee a problem with this, and I wonder if a 12-0 WAC champion that beat 3/4 or more FCS schools will get a bid over a 12-1 AQ school.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #24
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw1717
I posted this last year and now your able to custom the conferences I thought I would post this again.

If we were going to dismantle conferences, why not do it right? Let's just keep it somewhat simple. I don't understand why every other sport organizes teams geographically, except for college football. Sure, it kind of worked out that way for natural reasons, but it also gets really messed up. For instance, the WAC spreads from Hawai'i to Louisiana! Conference-USA form Carolina to Texas! Etc.*

Here is my answer, redo all the conferences so they're in geographical order. It saves the schools money, and will keep most rivalries intact, since most are in-state rivalries. The one thing you must do is make sure that a conference has all the teams from a given state. Thus, the 10 schools in Texas must all be in the same conference, same for the 7 from Florida and California, etc.

Here it is: 12 conferences, 10 teams each, you play 9 conference games and 3 non-conference games (scheduled at your will, just like normal). Each conference must play its top two teams in a championship game and name a conference champ. That would be the start of the bowl games is the conference championship game. Then you have 12 teams left and the way you seed it by total points scored. You then have to add 4 more teams to make the bracket right and the way to do that is by adding teams that played in the conference championship game and again by total points scored. When you start the playoffs it’s 16 teams and for the next three weeks are the playoffs for a total in the season of 17 weeks. The way I see it, it's still 12 games in the regular season (I believe stretched out over 14-15 weeks), and still 4 weeks in the post-season one week being the championship game. I added all the bowl games up for my new playoff system and it would be 25 and that’s less than 30 plus it has been.

In case you wanted an idea of how the conferences would look, I'll include that below. I take no responsibilities for bad conference names. I just now put this together, and making each conference have exactly 10 teams takes some wiggle room. I'm sure if it was actually to happen it could be perfected:

Southwest: California, Hawai'i, Nevada

California
Fresno State
Hawai'i
Nevada
San Diego State
San Jose State
Stanford
UCLA
UNLV
USC

Northwest: Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming

Boise State
Idaho
Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State
Wyoming

Four Corners: Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah

Air Force
Arizona
Arizona State
Brigham Young
Colorado
Colorado State
New Mexico
New Mexico State
Utah
Utah State

Lone Star: Texas

Baylor
Houston
North Texas
Rice
Southern Methodist
TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
UTEP

Louisiana Purchase: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma

Arkansas
Arkansas State
Louisiana - Lafayette
Louisiana - Monroe
Louisiana Tech
LSU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tulane
Tulsa

Gulf Coast: Florida, Mississippi

FIU
Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida State
Miami (FL)
Mississippi
Mississippi State
South Florida
Southern Miss
UCF

Southeast: Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee

Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Memphis
Middle Tennessee
Tennessee
Troy
UAB
Vanderbilt

Atlantic: New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia

Clemson
Duke
East Carolina
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Rutgers
South Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Richland: Ohio, West Virginia

Akron
Bowling Green
Cincinnati
Kent State
Marshall
Miami (OH)
Ohio
Ohio State
Toledo
West Virginia

Great Plains: Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Missouri

Illinois
Iowa
Iowa State
Kentucky
Louisville
Missouri
Northern Illinois
Northwestern
Purdue
Western Kentucky

Great Lakes: Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin

Ball State
Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Notre Dame
Western Michigan
Wisconsin

New England: Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania

Army
Boston College
Buffalo
Connecticut
Maryland
Navy
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Temple
I think it's a great idea. I'd love to be able to do something like this.

I remember in an old version of NCAA you could use the bowl system or a playoff system when you set up your dynasty.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »