Home

Playoff system and custom conferences

This is a discussion on Playoff system and custom conferences within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Playoff system and custom conferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro1
He has a point College Football system as of now forces teams to play hard every quarter, every Saturday. None of that resting your starters BS that happens in almost every other sport near the ending of the season. Now I love the plus 1 idea though.
I kind of agree, but with 12 games you would have to fight hard all the time. It'd only be a 16 team playoff, 11 AQ's and 5 "at large" spots
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #42
Pro

Andrews85's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis580
I am totally against a playoff. College Football is the only sport with an exciting regular season. All other sports regular season are boring. College Football is the only sport where the first game of the season could cost you a shot at the championship. The whole regular season is very exciting even if your team is already knocked out of the national championship race as one loss could cost you a shot at the championship.
I agree that every game is important, but if you lose 2 games and you're not a powerhouse program, your National Championship dreams are over. If a playoff system existed and you had 2 losses, chances are you will make the playoffs.

Ex: Your starting QB goes down for 3 weeks and your team loses 2 out of 3, season over.
Ex. Boise St., Alabama and OSU go 12-0 / 13-0, someone is screwed.

I want to know who is the best, not 3 or 4 teams claiming to be the best.
AFL: Pittsburgh Power
NCAA: PITT Panthers

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."
- Jack Lambert
Old 06-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #43
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ2006
I kind of agree, but with 12 games you would have to fight hard all the time. It'd only be a 16 team playoff, 11 AQ's and 5 "at large" spots
LOL only 16, only 16? That is Far, Far, Far too many teams, and would signifacntly hurt the excitment of the regular season. Anything more then a 4 team playoff, and you would significantly hurt the excitment of the regualar season.

Also playoffs do not produce a true champion. What about went the Patriots went like 19-0, and the Giants had lost 6 or 7 games, and beat them in the Super Bowl. I mean what was the point of the whole season. Its totally meaningless.

Also what about when the Colts were undefeated late in a season, and rested their starters because being undefeated in the NFL regular season means nothing. That is why the NFL regular season is just flat out boring.

Heck last year you even had a 7-9 team make the playoffs. Its why I watch very, very few NFL regular season games. They are just pointless, and losses dont mean much.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #44
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrews85
I agree that every game is important, but if you lose 2 games and you're not a powerhouse program, your National Championship dreams are over. If a playoff system existed and you had 2 losses, chances are you will make the playoffs.
Your championship dreams SHOULD be over if you have 2 losses. I did not at all like it that year when a 2 loss LSU got into the NC game. I thought a 1 loss Kansas should have been in that year, but 2 losses SHOULD eliminate you from championship consideration. I don't want to see a playoff where 2 loss teams consistantly get in.

The regular season IS the playoffs in college football. That is what makes the regular season so exciting. The only weakness with the current system is when a undefeated team gets left out, but if you lose a game you really don't have a right to complain, and you lose 2 games you certainly do not have any right at all to complain.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #45
Pro

Andrews85's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis580
Your championship dreams SHOULD be over if you have 2 losses. I did not at all like it that year when a 2 loss LSU got into the NC game. I thought a 1 loss Kansas should have been in that year, but 2 losses SHOULD eliminate you from championship consideration. I don't want to see a playoff where 2 loss teams consistantly get in.

The regular season IS the playoffs in college football. That is what makes the regular season so exciting. The only weakness with the current system is when a undefeated team gets left out, but if you lose a game you really don't have a right to complain, and you lose 2 games you certainly do not have any right at all to complain.
So a 12-0 MAC team should should get in before a 11-1 B10/SEC (BCS) team? Absolutely not.
AFL: Pittsburgh Power
NCAA: PITT Panthers

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."
- Jack Lambert
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #46
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrews85
So a 12-0 MAC team should should get in before a 11-1 B10/SEC (BCS) team? Absolutely not.
This exactly. There are teams going through summer workouts right now that know even if they go undefeated they won't play for a championship. A Western Kentucky or a San Jose st cannot win a NC this year no matter what they do on the field. I don't care how exciting the regular season is, if at the end all teams don't have a fair chance to prove themselves on the field it's worthless.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #47
Pro

willIam9387's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppkid91
This exactly. There are teams going through summer workouts right now that know even if they go undefeated they won't play for a championship. A Western Kentucky or a San Jose st cannot win a NC this year no matter what they do on the field. I don't care how exciting the regular season is, if at the end all teams don't have a fair chance to prove themselves on the field it's worthless.
It's not what they do it's who they play. They'll never have a fair chance to prove themselves against the elite teams by playing in the sunbelt and having a weak out of conference schedule. If you're an 8-4 team in the SEC maybe even 7-5 you would deserve an at large bid to play in a BCS bowl before a sunbelt team because week in week out the SEC and other major conferences have the most competitive football games. There are exceptions like Boise, Utah, and TCU who can compete in talent with the power conferences but a team like WKU doesn't have the potential resume for a BCS bowl starting from Day one.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by willIam9387
It's not what they do it's who they play. They'll never have a fair chance to prove themselves against the elite teams by playing in the sunbelt and having a weak out of conference schedule. If you're an 8-4 team in the SEC maybe even 7-5 you would deserve an at large bid to play in a BCS bowl before a sunbelt team because week in week out the SEC and other major conferences have the most competitive football games. There are exceptions like Boise, Utah, and TCU who can compete in talent with the power conferences but a team like WKU doesn't have the potential resume for a BCS bowl starting from Day one.
No, an 8-4 or 7-5 SEC team should not get an at large. Same with all major conferences. Because I can guarantee that more than 50% of the time, one of those wins came against an FCS or lower school. An undefeated non-BCS school goes over some piddly 7-5 team that is 4th or 5th in the conference at best; if they are better than that, it is a weak conference and shouldn't be there either. How they would even manage to get into the top 16 is beyond me. 16th place in the BCS standings last year was Alabama, who was 9-3 regular season. Why you are giving at larges to 7 and 8 win teams is beyond me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »