Home

Playoff system and custom conferences

This is a discussion on Playoff system and custom conferences within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #57
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Playoff system and custom conferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndy
Wasn't there a playoff system in NCAA Football 2001? I remember seeing one there..
I think there was. However, I think the lack of a playoff in the current game is due to image issues and EA's rights to the BCS.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #58
Pro

willIam9387's Arena

OVR: 10

This is my solution to the whole playoff BCS system

This is my setup for an eight team playoff:

Each BCS Bowl site as of now, Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and the Orange Bowl host either a quarterfinal game of their choosing, two semifinal games, and the championship game in a four year period. The three remaining quarterfinal sites are determined by the NCAA. They could be bowl sites like the Cotton Bowl, Gator Bowl, etc.

Outside of the eight team playoff all current bowls are kept active. The Cotton Bowl can double as both the host for the Cotton Bowl and a quarterfinal host.

Now if it's a sixteen team playoff, everything stays the same but the higher seed hosts the first round game.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #59

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw1717
I posted this last year and now your able to custom the conferences I thought I would post this again.

If we were going to dismantle conferences, why not do it right? Let's just keep it somewhat simple. I don't understand why every other sport organizes teams geographically, except for college football. Sure, it kind of worked out that way for natural reasons, but it also gets really messed up. For instance, the WAC spreads from Hawai'i to Louisiana! Conference-USA form Carolina to Texas! Etc.*

Here is my answer, redo all the conferences so they're in geographical order. It saves the schools money, and will keep most rivalries intact, since most are in-state rivalries. The one thing you must do is make sure that a conference has all the teams from a given state. Thus, the 10 schools in Texas must all be in the same conference, same for the 7 from Florida and California, etc.

Here it is: 12 conferences, 10 teams each, you play 9 conference games and 3 non-conference games (scheduled at your will, just like normal). Each conference must play its top two teams in a championship game and name a conference champ. That would be the start of the bowl games is the conference championship game. Then you have 12 teams left and the way you seed it by total points scored. You then have to add 4 more teams to make the bracket right and the way to do that is by adding teams that played in the conference championship game and again by total points scored. When you start the playoffs it’s 16 teams and for the next three weeks are the playoffs for a total in the season of 17 weeks. The way I see it, it's still 12 games in the regular season (I believe stretched out over 14-15 weeks), and still 4 weeks in the post-season one week being the championship game. I added all the bowl games up for my new playoff system and it would be 25 and that’s less than 30 plus it has been.

In case you wanted an idea of how the conferences would look, I'll include that below. I take no responsibilities for bad conference names. I just now put this together, and making each conference have exactly 10 teams takes some wiggle room. I'm sure if it was actually to happen it could be perfected:

Southwest: California, Hawai'i, Nevada

California
Fresno State
Hawai'i
Nevada
San Diego State
San Jose State
Stanford
UCLA
UNLV
USC

Northwest: Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming

Boise State
Idaho
Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State
Wyoming

Four Corners: Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah

Air Force
Arizona
Arizona State
Brigham Young
Colorado
Colorado State
New Mexico
New Mexico State
Utah
Utah State

Lone Star: Texas

Baylor
Houston
North Texas
Rice
Southern Methodist
TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
UTEP

Louisiana Purchase: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma

Arkansas
Arkansas State
Louisiana - Lafayette
Louisiana - Monroe
Louisiana Tech
LSU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tulane
Tulsa

Gulf Coast: Florida, Mississippi

FIU
Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida State
Miami (FL)
Mississippi
Mississippi State
South Florida
Southern Miss
UCF

Southeast: Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee

Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Memphis
Middle Tennessee
Tennessee
Troy
UAB
Vanderbilt

Atlantic: New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia

Clemson
Duke
East Carolina
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Rutgers
South Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Richland: Ohio, West Virginia

Akron
Bowling Green
Cincinnati
Kent State
Marshall
Miami (OH)
Ohio
Ohio State
Toledo
West Virginia

Great Plains: Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Missouri

Illinois
Iowa
Iowa State
Kentucky
Louisville
Missouri
Northern Illinois
Northwestern
Purdue
Western Kentucky

Great Lakes: Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin

Ball State
Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Notre Dame
Western Michigan
Wisconsin

New England: Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania

Army
Boston College
Buffalo
Connecticut
Maryland
Navy
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Temple
I know I'm late as I just checked this thread out but I think this is an awesome idea.

The only difference I would make is to divide each of the conferences into two divisions of 5 to limit the amount of conference games you play each year and allow for a few more non conference games.

Maybe just 7 or 8 conference games instead of 9.

Edit: And just to add, I love the way this would fill out a playoff bracket but completely disagree with you that picking out the remaining 4 teams should be based on points scored.

If we were to be able to choose a way for this to happen, and as much as it kills me to say this, I would rather have the remaining four chosen through a vote (a poll), an actual computer rating, or anything other than points scored basically, that is far too arbitrary because of the differences in opponents throughout the conferences...

Last edited by kehlis; 06-02-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #60
Pro

willIam9387's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
No, an 8-4 or 7-5 SEC team should not get an at large. Same with all major conferences. Because I can guarantee that more than 50% of the time, one of those wins came against an FCS or lower school. An undefeated non-BCS school goes over some piddly 7-5 team that is 4th or 5th in the conference at best; if they are better than that, it is a weak conference and shouldn't be there either. How they would even manage to get into the top 16 is beyond me. 16th place in the BCS standings last year was Alabama, who was 9-3 regular season. Why you are giving at larges to 7 and 8 win teams is beyond me.

What I said was I would give a 7 or 8 win team the nod to play in a BCS bowl over a Sunbelt team. I'm not going by computer rankings, I'm going on the fact the competition a 7 or 8 win team faces in the SEC or a major conference is significantly greater to that which a sunbelt team would face. Also many times these one loss or zero loss non BCS schools also have some cupcake schools they schedule, so it goes both ways. The reason teams like Utah, Boise, TCU deserve consideration for a title shot given their conference is not a major conference is because they go out and play at least one top ranked team a season play in a semi-competitive conference which helps their numbers and most often than not you could see them competing for a conference title in a major conference. But I don't see that with an undefeated Sun Belt team or MAC team because of the poor quality of their conference.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #61
MVP

OVR: 11

So does anybody have a suggestion on how to make it as close to a FAIR system IN THE NEW GAME without a playoff?

Is it just to get rid of the AQ's?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2011, 04:21 AM   #62
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by willIam9387
What I said was I would give a 7 or 8 win team the nod to play in a BCS bowl over a Sunbelt team. I'm not going by computer rankings, I'm going on the fact the competition a 7 or 8 win team faces in the SEC or a major conference is significantly greater to that which a sunbelt team would face. Also many times these one loss or zero loss non BCS schools also have some cupcake schools they schedule, so it goes both ways. The reason teams like Utah, Boise, TCU deserve consideration for a title shot given their conference is not a major conference is because they go out and play at least one top ranked team a season play in a semi-competitive conference which helps their numbers and most often than not you could see them competing for a conference title in a major conference. But I don't see that with an undefeated Sun Belt team or MAC team because of the poor quality of their conference.
But a 7 or 8 win BCS conference teams is going to be nowhere to be found in the BCS rankings. You think the BCS is going to pick an at large team that isn't even ranked over a non-BCS team that is ranked, but maybe can't get the free pass? You are fooling yourself. Yes, the MAC and Sun Belt are weaker, but considering at the beginning of last year, people said that if Middle Tennessee went undefeated, they'd have a chance at the BCS, I doubt you could convince anyone that a 4 or 5 loss BCS conference team would some how get in. Makes 0 sense. The only time a team with that many losses has gotten in is if they won the Big East or ACC;no 5 loss team has ever been close to consideration for the BCS. Hell, they're barely bowl eligible. No at large has ever had more than 3 losses; meanwhile, undefeated non-BCS schools have made it. Your argument has no precedence. Had you said a 9-3 BCS conference team, ok, but even then, Illinois is the only 3-loss at large ever and it was to get a Big Ten vs. Pac 10 Rose Bowl. After that, your at larges are 2-loss, 1-loss, or undefeateds.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #63
Pro

willIam9387's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
But a 7 or 8 win BCS conference teams is going to be nowhere to be found in the BCS rankings. You think the BCS is going to pick an at large team that isn't even ranked over a non-BCS team that is ranked, but maybe can't get the free pass? You are fooling yourself. Yes, the MAC and Sun Belt are weaker, but considering at the beginning of last year, people said that if Middle Tennessee went undefeated, they'd have a chance at the BCS, I doubt you could convince anyone that a 4 or 5 loss BCS conference team would some how get in. Makes 0 sense. The only time a team with that many losses has gotten in is if they won the Big East or ACC;no 5 loss team has ever been close to consideration for the BCS. Hell, they're barely bowl eligible. No at large has ever had more than 3 losses; meanwhile, undefeated non-BCS schools have made it. Your argument has no precedence. Had you said a 9-3 BCS conference team, ok, but even then, Illinois is the only 3-loss at large ever and it was to get a Big Ten vs. Pac 10 Rose Bowl. After that, your at larges are 2-loss, 1-loss, or undefeateds.
I know, the whole basis for my argument is I'm not going by the BCS or anything like that. I'm just going based on competition. Of course a four to five loss team would never get into a BCS bowl game without winning their conference. I'm saying that if a sun belt or Mac undefeated team somehow got into a BCS bowl this would open pandora's box and basically any five loss or fewer major conference team would have a gripe because on a weekly to week basis they face much stiffer competition than let's say a sun belt team. For instance all the Sun Belt teams comprise the basement of the Division I strength of schedule rankings, and the Mac teams are a couple steps up from there. On the other hand, Mississippi State last year had the 4th toughest schedule and was a 9-4 record.

Their high SOS was mainly a product of their conference as they played Alcorn, Memphis, UAB, and Houston out of conference. What I'm trying to get at is beyond BCS rankings, polls , etc it's based on competition, the amount of quality wins, similar to college basketball. If you play in the Sun Belt go undefeated, beat one middle of the road team, and play a cupcake schedule, yet have the computer numbers, is it fair to a team from a major conference who might have four wins over top 25 teams, yet four losses?

I have no problem with the non major conference teams who have played in a BCS bowl in years past, they had solid resumes and it was easy to legitimize their inclusion based on the competition and their success. I'm just opining that if for some odd reason a Sun Belt or MAC team had the computer numbers and BCS ranking and their conference was in the basement of the SOS rankings, then a lot of major conference teams would have a gripe and deservedly so.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »