Home

My Final NCAA 2004 House Rules and Stuff Post

This is a discussion on My Final NCAA 2004 House Rules and Stuff Post within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2003, 01:07 AM   #17
Pac12fan

ochoco's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: My Final NCAA 2004 House Rules and Stuff Post

Ok, I'm on my fourth game of the season playing as Oregon State. Using your sliders and house rules. Im playing Arizona State right now and its getting ugly and its still the first quarter.

I thought Oregon States running back, Steven Jackson was a stud. But in the last few games the other teams running backs have done twice as well as him and in this game the same thing is happening. He is 94 overall rating the others are 75ish. I am having 73 rated 185 lb corner backs come up and tackle him for a loss at a consistant rate.

Is this a fluke? Should this happen all the time. Not complaining, just trying to understand, because it is very frusterating.

I also just had 3 off sides in a row on my last possesion. On the previous possesion I had a holding, then got sacked, then two offsides in a row. So you can prolly see why I am frusterated.

Anyhow, just some thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Only 3 minutes into the second quarter. Score is 35 to 7 them. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and their 73 rated running back has scored 3 times. 94 yard running being his first.

This just cant be right, their no name running back has over 200 yards at half time. Mine has 20. I cant run for anything LOL Oh well, I know, its just a game. So frusterating though...
Old 09-02-2003, 08:44 AM   #18
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

Quote:

ochoco said:
Ok, I'm on my fourth game of the season playing as Oregon State. Using your sliders and house rules. Im playing Arizona State right now and its getting ugly and its still the first quarter.

Remember, no set of sliders is going to be perfect fit for everyone. As always you should adjust them to your own personal tastes/skill whatever. In fact I should have posted an addendum because I boosted up my human run blocking to +10 (from +5). That was actaully done a while ago but I forgot to edit the sliders. That should help give you a bit more running room between the tackles. I was noticing that too many great run blockers were getting slammed by everyday linemen with the old settings and it was driving me crazy too. Give that a try.

As for your 94 rated HB, what's his speed/acceleration/fatigue? I have a 92 rated HB with a 85 speed who gets caught from behind all the time. But he breaks a ton of tackles. (Thus the 92 rating) If a player has a low fatigue a slower player is gonna catch him. Now if he's not tired, and has blazing speed then perhaps you should boost the human run ability slider because that has a direct impact on player speed. The more you boost it the faster your players (runners) will be.

As for defense. If you feel the CPU is running too easily I would suggest keeping the sliders where they are and perhaps ignoring the rule about switching players. If you switch players it should help you slow down the CPU run game.

As for it being a fluke, I dunno to be honest. The cool thing about NCAA is that there are going to be games where lower ranked teams simply come to play and you better bring your A game. I love that about this game. If you are getting whipped by lessewr teams on a consistant basis, then yeah, I'd start tweaking stuff to fit your needs. I played Northwestern last night (B- overall) with OSU (A overall) and was only up 17-14 at halftime. I altered my defensive philosophy for the game and ended up winning 37-17. So far we're 5-1 heading into the meat of the Big10 schedule.

Let me know if any of this helps ochoco. Good luck.

bill

Edit: As for penalties, I really like where the sliders are for that. In the NW game I had 7 penalties for 65 yards. (Thanks to a 15 yard facemask...) That doesn't seem too far out to lunch IMO. Before adjusting the sliders I was always the best team in the country in avoiding penalties every season.

In the game before that I had 1 for 10. NW had a defensive PI call, a holding call and a defensive offsides call.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:59 PM   #19
Pac12fan

ochoco's Arena

Thanks for the reply.

As far as changing sliders, I dont change them unless I have thouroughly tested and also talk to the maker Once you start changing sliders it usually goes down hill from there.

Im at work right now so I cant look at the exact stats for that running back but I believe his speed is 94 and his accel is 90 with 87 fatigue. Not sure on the fatigue though, just guessing. When I run him he seems slow. The cornerbacks are totally owning him. I know overall rating doesnt mean a whole lot but this guy is over 230 lbs. He is a stud. I dont expect to break one on every series but I also dont expect a 187 lb corner back to flatten him in the open field on every single down. I will do as you said and adjust the human run block slider.

The game I was playing I ended up shuting off before it ended. This is something I never want to do but I was so disgusted I did it and went to bed.

The other team was about evenly rated with mine. (oregon state and arizona state) They have a much higher rated qb but their running back is rather slow and overall 70's rating. He isnt even their best running back but he has seniority so maybe thats why they use him. All I know is he had over 200 yards in the first half and their quarterback had over 10 completions in a row in the start of the game.

I do like the penalty settings though in this game it was totally crazy. I mean i was 3 and 30 on about 5 different occasions. 3 offsides in a row at one point. Another time I was trying to work some form of a comeback so I took to the air. I was doing a great drive and got an open receiver on their 5 yard line and got him the ball on 1st down. I got nabbed for holding. I didnt think much of it and ran the ball on the next play and of course their puney corner back stuffed my steven jackson once again so I got -1 yards on that play. On third down I went to the air again and completed another one on their 8 yard line. BAM holding again. Then I threw an interception next. The whole game was like this. I regret shutting it off and feel sorta cheesy but I couldnt take it anymore.

I try to play so I have somewhat even running/passing plays. I try to make it rather realistic. If I have a stud running back I run more. If I have a stud qb/receiver I pass more. Oregon State actually has some very decently rated Offensive players. They have a decent quarterback and an extremely good receiver and running back. So I play an even game.

Its kind of strange the way the computer defense plays. I set the coach for the computer team on each game I play and tweak the running slider. I also set the defensive sliders to what they are suppose to be according to default settings. Well it allways seems to me that if a teams slider is set to defend the run more they are better against the pass when I play them. If they set to defend the pass more I cant run against them. No idea why but I have deffinatly noticed a pattern with this.

By the way I dont want you to think I was dogging on your slider settings from my last response, because I wasn't. I was just looking for some help in understanding what I was doing wrong, and I really appreciate you responding. I have had 3 really great games. My first two were against much lower rated teams and I blew them out, though they still made some good drives. My third was against a team that was rated a bit lower but they ended up winning by 3 points anyhow. Mainly because of my lack of kicking prowress on heisman level, but its all good, made it a blast that way. The last game came out of no where and it was one of those where it seems like no matter what I did the computer would do something to set me back.

I consider myself an average player. Though with your settings I have been focusing much heavier on my defensive play calling and I seem to spend 10 times as much time in both teams line ups checking out matchups and such. My defense has been pretty solid. The computer still gets some great drives but I have been very happy with the fact that I shut them down most of the game. I dont do this by tons of interceptions and sacks though. I mainly just get them to punt. Which is realistic in my opinion. I did get alot of intercepts/sacks against the Div.-II team I played but that is to be expected. The teams I have played that are rated closer to me there is alot less turnovers. Of course the occasional fumble still happens quite often but that really happens alot in college. Those damn guys fumble ALOT.

Anyhow thanks again for all the hard work. Making my NCAA 2004 experience a much better one!

Old 09-02-2003, 11:35 PM   #20
Pac12fan

ochoco's Arena

Just checked Steven Jacksons ratings and it has him at 91 speed, 91 accel and 92 stamina....like I said, he's a Stud.

Samie Parker, wide receiver for the Oregon Ducks only has 96 speed and 95 accel and he is suppose to be the fastest kid in all of college football.

Anyhoo, I think Jackson should be better than the game is palying him with the settings. Ill try the passblock change and see if that helps. Though the game seems to have him running rather slow considering his ratings. Maybe its just me. Maybe if you get some time you can try him out with the same settings.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:16 AM   #21
Redfield

OVR:

Thanks Bill for all the hard work. I will try these out.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2003, 07:36 AM   #22
MVP

toychri's Arena

OVR: 8

What everyone needs to remember is that Bill is playing with Ohio State, which I am also. It makes a huge difference. I get 6+ sacks a game, and I always control the LB that is in zone coverage, so I am never the one actually getting the sack. OSU's D line is just monsterous, it's almost not fair. So if you are playing with less talented team you may need to adjust your sliders accordingly.

I upped the CPU pass block to the max +20 and I still get way to many sacks, Will smith, Simon Fraser, and Harlen Jacobs(DB blitz) all had 10+ sacks in my first year.

Also, I may have found a money play, it's in the I-formation-twins, it's the counter lead, Clarett ran for a NCAA record 438 yds agains Purdue last night on 37 carries. Needless to say I will stop using that play.

I play on AA , 8 min, with Ab's sliders and pick my plays fast.

Old 09-03-2003, 08:56 AM   #23
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

Quote:

toychri said:
What everyone needs to remember is that Bill is playing with Ohio State, which I am also. It makes a huge difference. I get 6+ sacks a game, and I always control the LB that is in zone coverage, so I am never the one actually getting the sack. OSU's D line is just monsterous, it's almost not fair. So if you are playing with less talented team you may need to adjust your sliders accordingly.

I upped the CPU pass block to the max +20 and I still get way to many sacks, Will smith, Simon Fraser, and Harlen Jacobs(DB blitz) all had 10+ sacks in my first year.

Also, I may have found a money play, it's in the I-formation-twins, it's the counter lead, Clarett ran for a NCAA record 438 yds agains Purdue last night on 37 carries. Needless to say I will stop using that play.

I play on AA , 8 min, with Ab's sliders and pick my plays fast.

I'm actually in year three now, though. So Fraser, Smith, Scott, are all gone. Simon Fraser is a BEAST in this game (he's a beast in real life too). His speed is sick for a DE and I was able to get a sack with him pretty much on demand. That said, the school you play with will certainly have an impact on any slider set to be sure.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:15 AM   #24
Pac12fan

ochoco's Arena

Ohio State...Bleh. We will see how talented they are by the end of the year when all the smoke settles. I seriously dont think they will even win their devision, but hey thats just me.

Theres alot of Great teams out there with alot of seriously talented kids. It should be a great year.

p.s.- dont take what I said about Ohio State personal, just a friendly jab from one sports enthusiest to another. But they will go down, mark my word. I just hope they hurry up and get Clarret back so they cant use that as an excuse.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »