Home

Commentary and immersion

This is a discussion on Commentary and immersion within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Commentary and immersion

I think if done correctly, commentary could vastly improve immersion in dynasty mode. Commentary should serve as more than play by play, but as narration to the stories of the college football world within a dynasty. I hope with EA's new focus on improved presentation that commentary will be revamped in the near future.

Just a few ideas/examples

Game story-lines: Discuss what's at stake for both teams, how does this game impact conference standings, Bowl chances, BCS hopes Etc. Talk about the streaks teams may be on coming into the game, have they won 5 straight, last 3 against this opponent, 25 straight at home? What was the outcome the previous time these teams met, especially for conference opponents. Key injuries? Players to watch?

And don't just make a note of something once in pre-game and don't mention it the rest of the game. If an undefeated season or long winning streak is in jeopardy late in the 4th there should be mention of it.

National story-lines: If Troy beat Alabama in that week of my dynasty I feel there should be some mention of it(I would love a ticker with top 25 scores, upset alert) Discuss top 25 (a team unranked to start the year has moved into the top 5?) BCS standings, Heisman watch, Record breaking performances. Now that coaching carousel is in, coaching rumors could be discussed(head coach at Alabama may be on the hot seat after that loss to Troy)

Program story-lines: Has Troy become a powerhouse? Is Troy's head coach a hot prospect likely to get offers from bigger schools? Has the big name coach thats been brought in helped turn a program around or been a disappointment? Is it the start of a new season and the coach is on the hot seat and can't afford another losing season? Did the school have a top ten recruiting class? Discuss program tradition.

Player story-lines: If the Heisman trophy winner from last year is playing in the game there should definitely be some mention of that. Is a player having a breakout year? Is a five star recruit not living up to expectations? A walk on now a starter? Discuss any award candidates and how this game impacts their chances(His heisman hopes may have been dashed after throwing his 4th pick of the day) Is a player just returning from injury? Playing hurt? Does a player hold the school record for career rushing yards?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Commentary and immersion

you realize all commentary is scripted right?, Do you realize how much more disk space all the extra commentary lines would take up that you want?
Its not gonna happen, not on this gen atleast
Old 06-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Rookie

Black4track's Arena

OVR: 2

its possible.
Dallas Mavericks
UT LONGHORNS
Old 06-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Obsessed with Troy, are we?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubeavs721
you realize all commentary is scripted right?, Do you realize how much more disk space all the extra commentary lines would take up that you want?
Its not gonna happen, not on this gen atleast
Dynamic commentary is somewhat scripted but at the same time it's more of a variable situation.

It would take more disc space, but not to the extent your claiming. Otherwise MLB 2K11 and NBA 2K11 wouldn't of had it.

I made a thread a little while back about how commentary could be huge for an innovation. Most people agreed. Storylines would be somewhat hard depending on how in depth you wanted them to be, but nothing you said seems too farfetched.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9

I realize they can't use real players names, etc, but why can't they add something like 2k does with NBA2K11 about just the teams. Even adding "Next Saturday on ESPN tune it to watch Oklahoma Sooners take on the Texas Longhorns in the Red River Rivalry" or tune in to see if Michigan can break Ohio St's streak in the series or something similar. It is not a lot but I think it makes it much more broadcast-like. And why can't they add things about the teams like how Louisville or Syracuse really overachieved in 2010 and are looking to build on that or Auburn surprise NC. Or Texas' disapointing year. It could easily be changed year to year I would think. Just have that line tied to a team that is 5-6 prestige who finished with losing record year before or the low prestige team playing good or the team with a 2-10 record turning it around the next year?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

the commentary is one area that its like they never touch other than to add a couple extra lines. Look at what NBA 2k, MLB the Show and now Madden are doing with more tv style broadcast presentation and dynamic commentary in their games. NCAA has none of that. Its not like you really need to know the players in advance like Pro games have the advantage of. You can say something generic to describe the player and maybe talk about his last game or the season he's having or the team is having or their last game, future opponents, Bowl chances, coaching hot seats, etc.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12

I hear you on this. It is an issue and it seems they have done little to rectify it. The game could really stand to have two separate teams or a whole new team altogether. My personal vote would be for Musberger even if it was only for Saturday night games. That would be something extra special. We've been hearing Nessler and Herbstreit for so long I think we're just tired of their voices, but I agree that the lines themselves are extremely trite and tired and the depth leaves something to be desired.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »