Home

EA lawsuit

This is a discussion on EA lawsuit within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Rookie

nag5115's Arena

OVR: 2
EA lawsuit

I remeber reading online that there was a pending lawsuit filed against ea sports for having a monopoly in the football video games field. It was something like if you bought NCAA or Madden from 2006 or later that you were a part of this suit. Anyone else remember seeing this and if so have any information on how its progressing?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: EA lawsuit

i dunno why having exclusive rights to a particular league would be a monopoly
football video games could still be made (back breaker & all pro football 2k8)
Old 06-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Banned

Charleston_Tiger's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
i dunno why having exclusive rights to a particular league would be a monopoly
football video games could still be made (back breaker & all pro football 2k8)

When the league has such an extreme influence on whether or not your product will sale then that changes things a bit.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Yea, although some of us like our football enough to not care if it is fake teams, fake players, or whatever, the average person wants to see teams they know and players they recognize.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21

SOme of you guys dont know what monopoly means do you?
Its not a monopoly because other companies can make football games. The NFL and NCAA decided to give out exclusive licenses thats not a monopoly thats a company exercising it's rights to go with a company willing to pay for those rights
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Banned

JSHT21's Arena

OVR: 3

While it isn't a monopoly, there was a lawsuit like this. I had the mail, if I find it i'll post it.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
Rookie

gtyjrocks's Arena

OVR: 4
There was a huge thread on this. Lots of arguments. But I think if you have like 99% of market share its considered a monopoly. For example a long time ago Microsoft and Apple both existed and apple made stuff but Microsoft gave apple a bunch of money so they wouldn't go under. I think the suit could maybe succeed. But probably not if they do though we would each get like 25 cents.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSHT21
While it isn't a monopoly, there was a lawsuit like this. I had the mail, if I find it i'll post it.
EOFFREY PECOVER and ANDREW OWENS v. ELECTRONIC ARTS INC.
U.S. District Court (N.D. Cal. - Oakland Div.)
Case No. 08-cv-02820 CW

If You Purchased Certain Electronic Arts Brand Football Video Games
Between January 1, 2005 to the Present
You May Be a Class Member.

Membership as a class member in the Electronic Arts Litigation is the result of a lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, Oakland Division (Case No. 08-cv-02820 CW).

What Is This Class Action About?
The class action lawsuit alleges violations of California's antitrust and consumer protection laws in connection with the sale of certain football video games. Plaintiffs, purchasers of Electronic Arts' football video games, claim that Defendant Electronic Arts entered into a series of exclusive licenses with the National Football League (NFL), National Football League Players' Association (NFLPA), National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA), and Arena Football League (AFL), which Plaintiffs claim foreclosed competition in an alleged football video game market. Plaintiffs allege that this series of exclusive licenses caused customers who purchased certain football video games to be overcharged.
Defendant Electronic Arts has denied any liability and all allegations of misconduct. The Court has not decided whether the Defendants did anything wrong, and this Notice is not an expression of any opinion by the Court about the merits of any of the claims or defenses asserted by any party to this litigation.

Who Are Class Members?
The Class includes all persons who, during the period January 1, 2005 to the present, purchased the Madden NFL, NCAA Football, or Arena Football League brand video games published by Electronic Arts with a release date of January 1, 2005 to the present. Excluded from the class are purchasers of software for mobile devices, persons purchasing directly from Electronic Arts, persons purchasing used copies of the relevant football video games, and Electronic Arts' employees, officers, directors, legal representatives, and wholly or partly owned subsidiaries or affiliated companies.

What Should I Do? (Getting Further Information)
If you believe that you may be a class member (see above "Who Are Class Members"), you should get more detailed information about the class action and its potential effect on you and your rights. Further information can be obtained by going to the following website: www.easportslitigation.com. Additional information about the lawsuit may be obtained from Plaintiffs' Counsel website at www.hbsslaw.com, or by calling Plaintiffs' Counsel at 1-206-623-7292.

To Remain a Class Member
If you are a class member and you do nothing, you will be bound by the court's rulings in the lawsuit, including any final Settlement or Judgment.

To Exclude Yourself from the Class
(Deadline to Request Exclusion: June 25, 2011)
If you are a class member and you want to exclude yourself from the class and keep your right to sue Defendant, you must take further action before June 25, 2011. By that date, you must request exclusion in writing to this address:
Electronic Arts Litigation Exclusion
P.O. Box 8090
San Rafael CA 94912-8090

Or submit a request for exclusion electronically at the following website: www.easportslitigation.com

For further information about excluding yourself from the class go to the following website:
www.easportslitigation.com

Please do not telephone or address inquiries to the Court.
April 6, 2011. By Order of the U.S. District Court (N.D. Cal. - Oakland Div.).

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »