Home

My QB will PLAY five years!

This is a discussion on My QB will PLAY five years! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2003, 12:24 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
My QB will PLAY five years!

In my LSU dynasty I snagged the #2 QB in the country. I redshirted him since I had three other QB's and I wanted his ratings to go up so that I could start him as a redshirt freshman the following year. However, in the first two games I lost my first and second string QB's for the season. Rather than start my third stringer, I decided I would go ahead and put my newly recruited QB on the depth chart and forget about redshirting him. I got the warning that he would lose his redshirt status as usual.

But then, as I would check the weekly stats after having started him, I saw that he still had the redshirt label. The following year, his stats showed up normally, yet he was still listed as a redshirt freshman. This year he is listed as a redshirt sophomore. It looks like I am going to get away with having this guy play for five years. He is probably going to be a 99 rated QB by year 5. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had that happen. Is this some NCAA rule that I am totally oblivious to, something that EA added to counteract the problems with injuries and the roster limitations, or is it just a glitch? Please let me know what you guys think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2003, 10:41 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: My QB will PLAY five years!

Similar thing happened to me, I had a stud SS who was
going to be 3rd string his true soph year. I redshirted
him but accidently left him in the 3-4 formation.
He played all year, had about 20 tackles but the season
did not count as a redshirt season, he played 5 years.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:27 AM   #3
Rookie

oukast,

It's a glitch, something EA must have missed.

Taken form the official NCAA rules regarding eligibility:

"The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year...It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match)..."
Old 09-02-2003, 07:16 AM   #4
Pro

Mangum's Arena

OVR: 6

Its a glitch. It happened to me last year with a running back I had.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:23 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Thanks guys, I thought I was missing something there. I guess if he is thinking about leaving after his Junior year, I won't even try to keep him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2003, 10:46 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

I had a similar thing happen to me. I had a stud QB who, while not as highly rated overall, was the fastest of my QBs as a freshman. Since I run the option, I put him as number 1 on my depth chart. Well, first game of the year on about the fifth play, he gets injured and is out for the season. However, now, in the following year, he is showing up as a RS Freshman. Now, I never redshirted him, so I'm wondering if the game did automatically as a medical redshirt. I didn't think the game did that, but it would be cool. Anyway, it worked well for me.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:05 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 7

yep, I noticed it a month ago also and posted about it on these boards:

Glitch
Old 09-02-2003, 01:25 PM   #8
Rookie

I did some more digging, and apparently the rule I mentioned above has been modified at some point, and not updated on the NCAA website. There is a stipulation that in a 12 game football season, a player can play in 2 of the first 3 games and still be redshirted for that year. It still looks like EA missed something when you designate a guy for a redshirt, then end up playing him, but this MAY explain some of the things people have experienced.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »