Home

Commentary has become so stale

This is a discussion on Commentary has become so stale within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #25
Pro

radiohead's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Commentary has become so stale

First off, you guys are correct. Commentary/presentation is stale and is not even remotely close to being dynamic.

However, if you're expecting true innovation in that area next year, you're misguided.

I put more faith in EA's history than I do in internet hunches.

And, as I showed in a similar thread recently their entire approach to commentary does not lend itself to innovation in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_Thompson_EA
...Commentary is built on the previous year's project. We remove bad lines, fix bugs, and add more lines. I don't see how it can get worse.
Now let that marinate for a bit.

With logic like that, is it any surprise why this series is in the shape that it's in?

Last edited by radiohead; 06-24-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #26
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Commentary is tough. You have to take static lines and shoe-horn them into the situation. I've been jaded towards commentary ever since the old days of NHL 2000 and onward for PC.

"SAKIC... passes to... FORSBERG! FORSBERG!... passes to SAKIC. SAKIC.... SCORES!"

My ears would BLEEED. Enter Madden/NCAA commentary, which has been better. But I get really tired of the gaps and vanilla taste. The biggest issue for me is the misplaced emotion of the commentary. For example: 4th down, I'm down by 6, 20 seconds left in the game. I roll out right, heave it deep to the end zone. Commentary goes like this:

"HE'S GOING FOR IT ALLLLL!!....." *silence* (Incomplete pass) Herbstreit starts in about needing to go for it on 4th down in a mild tone. At no point was there a "OH, INCOMPLETE AND THAT'S GOING TO DO IT!" Just leaves me hanging. So, I turn off commentary and I do the commentary in my head. I'll always do it this way. I make better storylines anyways.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 1

It need Mr. College Football himself - Keith Jackson - in the game. The Best ever at calling a college game. He's still ALIVE...
Old 06-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #28
BTG
Banned

BTG's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake2
It need Mr. College Football himself - Keith Jackson - in the game. The Best ever at calling a college game. He's still ALIVE...
YES.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

He made the '90s 989 NCAA game (Gameday? Gamebreaker? Crap...) semi-playable.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:30 AM   #29
MVP

d11king's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTG
I've always wanted to see multiple layers of commentary. Have a radio announced for games that are not televised. Have a group covering normal games that would be used 90% of the time and then have a group to announce Games of the Week/BCS games. Make it so you have to earn that extra commentary team...just make it a good group. The last thing most people would want is to bust their *** with BYU or something, get to a bowl game and be rewarded with Brent Musberger.
I've been saying that for forever. If I can't get a 5 star recruit to come to my school because I don't get any TV games, why the hell do I have commentary. I remember starting an offline dynasty win Indiana in like 08 or something and I never got an announcer. So if I'm a 2 star school, Brent and Kirk should not be calling my games when I'm playing another 2 star school, makes no sense. They only go to the National televised games, never local.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #30
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTG
I've always wanted to see multiple layers of commentary. Have a radio announced for games that are not televised. Have a group covering normal games that would be used 90% of the time and then have a group to announce Games of the Week/BCS games. Make it so you have to earn that extra commentary team...just make it a good group. The last thing most people would want is to bust their *** with BYU or something, get to a bowl game and be rewarded with Brent Musberger.
Radio or school coverage for non-televised games.

FSN for regional broadcasts.

ESPN's respective coverage.

ABC for headlining PAC 12, Big XII, Big Ten games, etc.

CBS for SEC.

FOX for BCS Bowls.

Keith Jackson for the National Championship!

You could even make the broadcast crew's DLC. I'd pay extra for that. That'd be a dream...

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »