Home

Styles of Defense

This is a discussion on Styles of Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Icon5 Styles of Defense

Im planning out my dynasty but I dont know what defense to run or what kind of players to recruit. What defense has had the best succes for you guys on and offline and what kind of players do you need to recruit for said defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Styles of Defense

It's actually hard for me to say. I find with a 4-3 defense I get average run defense but a very solid pass rush. With a 3-4, I'm great against the run, but my pass rush suffers severely. It's mostly an issue because I'm not great at blitzing with linebackers. I'm much better with a defensive end in a 4-3 coming off the edge with a speed rush. In my NCAA 11 dynasty, about 5 years in I was almost forced to switch to a 3-4. I struggled to get high quality defensive lineman (ends and tackles), but I managed to recruit numerous 4 and 5 star linebackers. To get my best players on the field, I switched to a 3-4. My sack numbers went down, but I managed to play much better run defense.
But... if it's real, you'll feel it.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Rookie

Wrecktum's Arena

OVR: 4

Its kind of the easy way out, but I like the "Multiple D" playbook. It gives the most flexibility for playcalling and recruiting. I like to run 3-4 zone def against the spread option teams and 4-3 man def against pro-style teams.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMVPx3
Im planning out my dynasty but I dont know what defense to run or what kind of players to recruit. What defense has had the best succes for you guys on and offline and what kind of players do you need to recruit for said defense.
Broad question, dude. Almost all of the defenses are solid if you can get the right personnel. And then they only work if you know the playbook and can control it properly. Use practice mode to lab schemes out.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

REally depends on what you want to do.

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 1

3-4 with a ROLB as Pass Rusher (at ALL times). Works great for me, Most of the time I play as the ROLB or RE and can get plenty of sacks and rush the QB very well, also works very well for stopping the run behind the line.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Banned

PDOGEMP 8's Arena

OVR: 2

i use the 3-3-5. you have to make sure you have 3 FS and 3 SS on your DC but i also use the 3-4, i start NCAA 12 with the 3-4 but after my 1st season and i get the players i need for my 3-3-5 then ill go to that DEF.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

4-3 is the easiest defense to play with and recruit with. Also it is very flexible as players can be easily moved around to make any look you want. The LBs and DEs are very important and need to be athletic enough to defend the outside.

3-4 Is much tougher to use especially if you don't have the right players on the DL. If you ever want to stop the run those guys cannot be the type that get pancaked multiple times a game. Also at least one OLBs needs to be good in coverage and defending the run. On the DL you can pretty much have 3 DTs and should look for players with high strength ratings.

4-2-5 is a defense that can generate a ton of pressure from the outside. It is great against spread teams, but struggles defending inside runs. The LBs main purpose is to defend the run so you need players that are strong enough to take on blocks from the OL, but still athletic enough to play zone in the middle. The FS is also key in this defense because a lot of the time you will be in cover 1 so the FS needs to be athletic enough to make plays deep down the field. The SS's play up near the LOS and are hybrid players that really need to be able to do everything (defend the outside runs, play man/zone) so they are the hardest players to recruit.

335 I haven't spent much time in this, but it is pretty similar to the 3-4. Actually I prefer playing the 3-4 with 3 true LB's and one hybrid guy that can cover and pretty much do anything.

In short 4-3 and 3-4 are the best against the run and the other 2 are similar to running nickle as your base defense. 4-3 is very plug and play as far as recruiting and you can really get burned if you bring the wrong players into the other defenses.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »