Home

NCAA 12 PS3 demo on 1080p

This is a discussion on NCAA 12 PS3 demo on 1080p within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: NCAA 12 PS3 demo on 1080p

While it is true that you should most likely run a game at its native resolution for best results the whole upscaler thing is just not true. Both the 360 and PS3 have upscaler chips to which is better that is a matter of opinion , but sony put a very powerful one in the ps3(for the time it was made anyways). Even if that was not the case most upper tier tv's have much better upscalers anyways. The point is it all depends on the quality of the chip upscaling the image on how well a 720p game will look upscaled to 1080p.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #50
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
I need to quote this because EVERYONE needs to read this three-times over and let it soak in.
Unfortunately, I had my demo in 720p (I let the ps3 auto select) for my comparison, and it looks exactly the same as it does 1080p. The PS3 demo is just inferior, regardless of resolution and settings. Now, I can definitely see how this can differ from person to person, because of your TV, and that's probably why we're getting some different opinions here, while consensus is that it's still very Jagged.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Old 06-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #51
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_457
Unfortunately, I had my demo in 720p (I let the ps3 auto select) for my comparison, and it looks exactly the same as it does 1080p. The PS3 demo is just inferior, regardless of resolution and settings. Now, I can definitely see how this can differ from person to person, because of your TV, and that's probably why we're getting some different opinions here, while consensus is that it's still very Jagged.
I have posted pretty extensively about this on the impressions thread and the field pic thread so I am not gonna just repeat myself but bottom line is Dan is just right on.

The PS3 version looks fine, but is noticeably inferior to the 360 version. I spent hours yesterday comparing the two. Its not the same.

Oh well

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #52
Rookie

CurryStorm's Arena

I have a PS3 and the game looked great on my 50" Sony SXRD at 1080i. I haven't seen it play on an X360 yet so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I thought it looked pretty good on my TV. Nothing awful really stood out to me.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanforlife21
While it is true that you should most likely run a game at its native resolution for best results the whole upscaler thing is just not true. Both the 360 and PS3 have upscaler chips to which is better that is a matter of opinion , but sony put a very powerful one in the ps3(for the time it was made anyways). Even if that was not the case most upper tier tv's have much better upscalers anyways. The point is it all depends on the quality of the chip upscaling the image on how well a 720p game will look upscaled to 1080p.
Sorry but that is just wrong. The PS3 does not have a dedicated powerful upscaler. If it did then games would not look worst on 1080p or for that matter have the game scale down to 480p when choosing only 1080p.

The 360 can run any game from Barbies adventure to Halo Reach all in 1080p, does it mean the game is running native 1080p? No it does not but the game upscales along with the upscaler on the tv to make the game look just as good as 720p or upscaled 1080p without losing image quality due to stretching.

The PS3 does not do this. Some games can run great on 1080p but there is always a price to pay for forcing it to do what it is not designed to do because it does not HAVE a dedicated scaler.

Let your game run at what the PS3 wants it to and your tv will handle the rest.

Is is funny that every year people come here and say that..."Dammm I put 1080p and this game looks wayyyy better" Please stop with the same boast.

The only reason the PS3 version looks a bit weaker then 360 is due to the fact that it is a port. It has nothing to do with the 360 being upscaled to 1080P, I can run the 360 on just 720P and it will still be sharper then the PS3 on 720P or forced 1080P

If Madden was only a PS3 game, then it would look amazing because the PS3 can provide better graphical scales. Look at Uncharted 2, it looks 10x better then any 360 game upscaled at 1080p.

And that is on 720p. Why? Because the game was made for that console and not ported over.

NCAA 12 on PS3 has never and will never look exactly the same as the 360 version in this generation of consoles unless EA decides to make the game on PS3 and port it over to 360 but that is not happening in this console life time.

The difference is minute and it was ok to bitch and moan about it 3-4 years ago when we all saw the slight difference. But to still talk about it 5 years later is annoying since it is the same question and same response every year.

What the PS3 loses in terms of sharpness to the 360 It more then makes up for it in Audio where the PS3 version has native DTS which the 360 has never handled and will most likely never handled in this console lifetime.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #54
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
While it is true that you should most likely run a game at its native resolution for best results the whole upscaler thing is just not true. Both the 360 and PS3 have upscaler chips ...
Not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
Sorry but that is just wrong. The PS3 does not have a dedicated powerful upscaler.
This is true.

Giants4Natic knows what he's talking about here.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #55
Rookie

Sigh I am not gonna bother arguing but honestly just go to any tech form or just look up specifications for the ps3 and you will see it does have a built in upscaler. Many videophiles have tested it and it is actually better than a lot of TVs out their in upscaling content. As far as why it will revert to 480p when only 1080p is selected is due to the fact the tv which does this does not support a resolution of 1080p. When you try to send a 1080p signal to a tv that supports 480i, 480p, and 1080p only this is what happens( This is the case with most older sets). Also only one thing upscales at a time you either have your tv do the upscaling or the system.

Also the reason 1080p usually runs worse is due to the fact it takes a lot more system resources to run a game at 1080p than it does at 720p. There are plently of ps3 exclusives that run very well in 1080p that are not native 1080p. Just wait til the final game comes out it will run just fine and look great in 1080p.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #56
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Sigh I am not gonna bother arguing but honestly just go to any tech form or just look up specifications for the ps3 and you will see it does have a built in upscaler. Many videophiles have tested it and it is actually better than a lot of TVs out their in upscaling content. As far as why it will revert to 480p when only 1080p is selected is due to the fact the tv which does this does not support a resolution of 1080p. When you try to send a 1080p signal to a tv that supports 480i, 480p, and 1080p only this is what happens( This is the case with most older sets). Also only one thing upscales at a time you either have your tv do the upscaling or the system.

Also the reason 1080p usually runs worse is due to the fact it takes a lot more system resources to run a game at 1080p than it does at 720p. There are plently of ps3 exclusives that run very well in 1080p that are not native 1080p. Just wait til the final game comes out it will run just fine and look great in 1080p.

My tv does 1080p and if I put Madden 11 on 1080P it will downscale to 480p/ That is because the dev of the game did not encode the upscale into the game. That is the difference between the PS3 and the 360. The 360 does not require that from the developers. Any game can be upscaled to 1080p

Not many games can for the PS3. If you have a game that goes to 720P and you put it on 1080P and it stays there then that has the code in it but it is not native therefore there will be some slight issues.

THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN ON THE 360

Just enjoy the game

Last edited by Giants4Natic; 06-29-2011 at 06:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »