Home

Grass Textures Missing?

This is a discussion on Grass Textures Missing? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2011, 02:56 AM   #57
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Grass Textures Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Both Fifa and PES have amazing looking grass and is what EA should look into for NCAA 13. The grass now is too long and really can't be seen from the standard gameplay angle. I know my post was just arguing that point about how that is pretty realistic, but even in the OU vs UT picture you can still see the players sinking in the grassa tad bit.

If EA was to have Fifa's grass in NCAA 13 and had it visible at all times, then we'd have it realistically done. That game has it cut short, but can still be seen from all angles and if I am not mistaken does not turn flat after 10 yards. That is what I think most of us expected with the 3d grass we have now, but now that we see we don't have that, we're going a little overboard with how it should look.
All I expect is grass to

1. Look like grass.
2. Smell like grass. (Bonus) ;-)

In all honesty, I wouldn't be complaining at all if EA just had the color right...
Like they do in Fifa...

Lol... Looks like they used Sims 3 grass or something...

Old 07-03-2011, 03:00 AM   #58
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by topzzz
You didn't mention anything about the grass color, bro. In all honesty, I could
careless if the grass is 3D or not... But the color is HORRIBLE.... Just make
it green, and call it good... Is it really that hard?

Anyway, your points are otherwise valid.

Still, what the hell is up with the color? lol

EXACTLY! The point I am trying to make is not that the 3D grass is not in the actual in game camera, it is that the grass we have now in the actual in game camera does not look like grass. It looks like someone used the smudge tool in photoshop and added lines. Fifa's grass in-game LOOKS like ACTUAL GRASS. There is a distinct "look" of what grass looks like (for lack of a better phrase) and the smudge tool is not it. Let me give you an example, as if you need more. We will go inside the Carrier Dome because this is where I am from and can personally tell you that this turf does not look like the game turf at all. These pictures are from a discussion over on TheGamingTailgate.

Turf:

Not Turf:

There is a clear difference in the IN GAME camera of what LOOKS like grass (or turf) and what does not.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #59
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

One reason I didn't bring up color is because I don't see a big problem with it. With the way my TV is set up when playing games, colors pop off the screen like they should, they don't look washed out, and the grass looks pretty similar to the grass I ca see right now out of my window.

I am not saying the solution to the colors being off in uniforms and grass, turf, domes, etc. is to set your TV up to make it look right, but that is one way to fix it if you have the patience/time.

― Plato
Old 07-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #60
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
EXACTLY! The point I am trying to make is not that the 3D grass is not in the actual in game camera, it is that the grass we have now in the actual in game camera does not look like grass. It looks like someone used the smudge tool in photoshop and added lines. Fifa's grass in-game LOOKS like ACTUAL GRASS. There is a distinct "look" of what grass looks like (for lack of a better phrase) and the smudge tool is not it. Let me give you an example, as if you need more. We will go inside the Carrier Dome because this is where I am from and can personally tell you that this turf does not look like the game turf at all. These pictures are from a discussion over on TheGamingTailgate
There is a clear difference in the IN GAME camera of what LOOKS like grass (or turf) and what does not.

Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemiss86
After seeing several videos from the people at TheGamingTailgate.com....I don't see a problem with the "color" of the grass. It looks fine to me. Texture really doesn't look too concerning either.
Lol.... you're the only one, man.

You really think that "this" is acceptable?

Here's what it SHOULD look like... Screen taken from Madden 2005!!!!!!!

It's pretty bad when Madden 2005 looks better. hahah

Last edited by topzzz; 07-03-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:06 AM   #61
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
One reason I didn't bring up color is because I don't see a big problem with it. With the way my TV is set up when playing games, colors pop off the screen like they should, they don't look washed out, and the grass looks pretty similar to the grass I ca see right now out of my window.

I am not saying the solution to the colors being off in uniforms and grass, turf, domes, etc. is to set your TV up to make it look right, but that is one way to fix it if you have the patience/time.

Yes I definitely agree with you there. There are some things that can be fixed on your own if you have the patience to do it. However I have played around with it a little and it doesnt seem to make much of a difference for me. Do you put yours on game mode or sports mode? Something that makes the screen a little darker?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2011, 03:11 AM   #62
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Well, my TV doesn't have the Game Mode or Sports mode. It has things like Livid, Standard, Energy Savings. What I like though is to generally have the color saturation near maxed out if not maxed out because I like for everything to pop and I also like everything to look as bright on TV as it does in real life. When I play Red Dead Redemption I actually have to squint when facing the sun because of how bright it is on my TV. I also like my shades of black to be noticeable, so not everything looks deep black. That helps shadows look better, especially in games and movies. The more shades of black you can see, the better dark scenes, or parts of a shot can look, IMO of course.

With my TV like this, day games look like they're actually under the real world sun, the lights in the stadium are very very bright, and the colors on uniforms and the grass all pop and just look like the real things. Is it perfect? No. But it definitely looks a lot better than when looking at comparisons on this PC monitor.

― Plato
Old 07-03-2011, 03:13 AM   #63
Banned

Here's a fun question... Why can't EA just do cool **** like this? Are they too
****in ********?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA-jL7UAYl0

Last edited by topzzz; 07-03-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:16 AM   #64
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

I know I'm going to be in the minority here but I really didn't even notice this until I saw all the threads and comments about it.

And even after all the comments I still don't think it looks that bad. I guess I'm just focused on other things during the course of the game

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »