Home

Teach me how to play D.

This is a discussion on Teach me how to play D. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Banned

JSHT21's Arena

OVR: 3
Teach me how to play D.

Well I always played on the offensive side in high school, FB in goaline situations and TE/OG... So honestly I never took an interest in defense. I knew enough to get my job done, but calling defensive plays I'm lost.

In years past I've always just blitzed agressivly, and when the set is 5 wide just call a prevent defense... so I'm just looking for some help so I can play sim D with my sim O.

I'm looking to learn a little D through the demo, so that when the game hit's my PS3 I can make a defensive playbook to fit my "style" that I form from my learning.

Last edited by JSHT21; 06-28-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Teach me how to play D.

Not sure if you're interested in trying this, but I'd suggest player locking on D at first. Pick a position and stick with it.

Over the course of a year, and by year I mean a year in your dynasty, you'll become familiar with certain plays and schemes your position runs in certain situations. I think it'll help you understand the "bigger picture." I'd probably recommend playing with a baller. A stud on D. And probably not a Corner.

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo
Old 06-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
Banned

JSHT21's Arena

OVR: 3

I cannot play like that.. I've tried but I just can't that camera angle kills me.

I'm just looking for when to call what plays, what defense to run when and such, I was looking online for a quick read but everything is like 100 pages, and I do not have the time to read that If I actually want to play the game between work and summer classes.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

I always match up my formation on D with the personnel on the field. I blitz quite a bit (probably 40% of the time), but mix straight blitzes with zone blitzes. I play a ton of Cover 3 as well.

I control the FS with player lock except when I play online because my internet lags a bit so it's impossible. Depending on who you choose to control on D, it's important to understand your responsibility. I like FS because I'm the last line of defense and I cover the middle of the field pretty well usually but I am able to recognize the run fairly quickly and come up to help out.

I would suggest refraining from switching players a lot on D because you don't always get who you think you will and can get guys out of position and give up big plays. It'll also make it more fun to recruit because you don't inflate guys a lot by making plays yourself (except with who you're playing with the most).

The key for me though is matching my defensive personnel with the offensive personnel
Old 06-29-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

Just turn your personal experience around and remember what you saw on offense.

Playing D is more reactive than strategic. You have to recognize a few basic things.
  1. Down and distance dictate many aspects of defense, but don't fall in love with certain formations or plays. Always remember to adjust your bread-and-butter plays for field position and time of game.
  2. Key on hot opposing players, especially the run game. Taking more chances on D to stop the run can pay big dividends when dropping a RB for a loss.
  3. Run a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 to get extra speed and zone coverage with that nickel back. This tends to help "contain" opposing offenses for most of the game, even if your opposition is superior in many ways.
  4. Drop a DL into zone coverage from time to time manually. This throws off your opponent's offense, causing the QB to stand in the pocket too long and risk a sack.
  5. Reduce the overall number of blitzes you call. It may seem counter-intuitive, but the less you blitz, the more likely your blitzes (when called) will work.
  6. Pay attention to statistical trends. It's quite common for a CPU team to keep "going to the well". This is more clear when defending against the run, but also works for receivers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
Rookie

ComebackDylan's Arena

OVR: 1

This is awesome, please keep this thread going.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #7
Rookie

NorthwestCO2012's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm probably not the best person to ask but what I do is use whatever safety is on the wide side of the field to (like someone else said) read the play faster and jam the run or drop back as the last line of defense. Also they are usually faster then LBs so if u are willing to blitz with them they can get in there quicker.

For someone who has no idea what theyre doing on D (my gf, and 10 yo bro and 6 yo bro) I just tell them to always be a defensive lineman and try and get to whoever has the ball as fast as you can.

CB is usually pretty impossible because half the time they are off the sides of the screen.

I hope thats helpful

OH and for my sake if anyone knows some formation/play/way to block fgs and/or extra points PLEASE let me know. Ive been playing ncaa football for years and can never block kicks. (occasionally a punt though)
Thanks
Old 06-29-2011, 05:41 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 31

I blitz a lot also. Now that zone defense works correctly, zone blitzing should be a nice weapon.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »