Home

So is Play Action fixed or what??

This is a discussion on So is Play Action fixed or what?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is Play Action Fixed in the demo or is it still an instant sack?
Yes. It's fixed! 40 64.52%
No. Still not where it needs to be - results in a sack the majority of the time. 22 35.48%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #25
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Also, for the record, the same issue was in Madden and they deemed it "broken" enough to fix it in a patch.

NCAA never patched it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #26
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: So is Play Action fixed or what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
Having to "set up" play action for it to work is broken IMO. That's NOT how football works in real life.

Vick and the Eagles got huge plays off play action on the first plays of games this year. They never set it up.

Blocking changed on play action, and blitzes made it impossible--play action had issues in '11. If you run 10 dropbacks in a row or 10 play actions in a row, there should not be a difference in pressure on the QB. There is in '11.
Exactly. Play action should be a viable option at any time. The fake to the back should fool defenders based on their awareness, or perhaps a pattern of your previous plays, or how good your running game has been to that point. So although there might be some advantage to setting a pattern of runs then tossing in a playaction (i.e. the setup) that should not be the only way it can be pulled off.

If you think having to set up every PA with 10 runs means it "works" then you're fooling yourself.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #27
Ride on Kentucky Kid

doubledeuceR6's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
It was never broke in 11, you just had to set it up properly. The issue is most folks just wan to call play action and never run and it wouldn't work in game, well guess what, that wouldn't work in real life either.
I disagree. I'm 60/40 run and I'm well aware of how to set up the PA. I don't expect the CB's and LB's to bite on every play fake, but the problem was that you couldn't even complete the fake and yes that should happen from time to time but it was all the time in NCAA 11.

If you don't mind me asking what formations were you succesful with?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
Having to "set up" play action for it to work is broken IMO. That's NOT how football works in real life.

Vick and the Eagles got huge plays off play action on the first plays of games this year. They never set it up.

Blocking changed on play action, and blitzes made it impossible--play action had issues in '11. If you run 10 dropbacks in a row or 10 play actions in a row, there should not be a difference in pressure on the QB. There is in '11.
In 11, setting it up was really the only chance you had at getting it to work for you, but even then it was a toss up. It really hurt me because probably half my passes come off the PA, or at least that is how my scheme is meant to work.

So far in the demo I have called a PA on the first play of the game that has resulted in a 30 yard gain, I have called it after some runs, I have just randomly called it, and I have called it when I should have been running the clock down. The results? It worked most of the time. I did get sacked one time on the PA in the demo, but that was because they had a heavy blitz and I never audibled out.So if you ask me, PA works like it should, heck, maybe even a little too much, but nothing major.

― Plato
Old 06-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 5

I got a TD off a PA after setting up the run. The game went on to show a replay of the LB biting with Herbstreit commenting on how it was set up.

Not sure if that happened in '11 since I didn't play it.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
It was never broke in 11, you just had to set it up properly. The issue is most folks just wan to call play action and never run and it wouldn't work in game, well guess what, that wouldn't work in real life either.
totally agree. this poll is irrelevant without a it was never broken in the first place option
Old 06-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #31
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan
totally agree. this poll is irrelevant without a it was never broken in the first place option
When 99 out of 100 people says it's broken, It's broken. Seriously, almost no one has any kind of success with PA passes, just because you disagree doesn't change anything. These threads wouldn't pop up all over the place if PA passes weren't terrible. The majority of every PA pass I've ever run have been sacks, or hit while throwing, and that's usually while just trying to get rid of the ball before getting destroyed. And I'm a run first player, I have around a 65/35 run to pass ratio, and I still can never use the PA with any success.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 29

^you're falling into the classic trap of thinking that OS is somehow a great representation of the community that plays this game. we're not. it's been stated we represent less than 10% of the people who buy this game meaning regardless if every single OS poster agrees on a subject (which has never happened to my knowledge) we still don't have anywhere near even a simple majority. so please stop with all the 99 out of 100 and 99% stuff that Dr Death likes to throw around. it's complete nonsense and you have no way to back it up. and you do realize that anyone can make a thread right? just because threads pop up doesn't mean anything.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »