Home

Sparq Rating?

This is a discussion on Sparq Rating? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
Rookie

nighttrain32's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Sparq Rating?

I don't think substituting the ESPN Top 150 for the SPARQ 100 is practical at all. An random athlete could easily get the highest SPARQ rating ever in the history of man and not have any football skills. The ESPN Top 150 is the top FOOTBALL PLAYERS in the nation. I realize using real life logic for NCAA regarding the SPARQ or ESPN Top 150 is useless because all players have the same animation pool and the aren't really any recruiting busts.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain32
I don't think substituting the ESPN Top 150 for the SPARQ 100 is practical at all. An random athlete could easily get the highest SPARQ rating ever in the history of man and not have any football skills. The ESPN Top 150 is the top FOOTBALL PLAYERS in the nation. I realize using real life logic for NCAA regarding the SPARQ or ESPN Top 150 is useless because all players have the same animation pool and the aren't really any recruiting busts.
Isn't the SPARQ 100 in the game just the top 100 players in the recruiting pool still? So it really doesn't matter, they just changed the name basically.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #19
#nouss

WyxHarmon's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert&Ham
Same. We can share our grief over a package of Recee's Peanut Butter Cups
The perfect blend of chocolate and peanut butter.
Ravens

73 - 72
Old 07-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26841
I wouldn't think so. SPARQ rating in real life just shows a players overall raw athleticism, not their ability to play multiple positions (which are the guys labeled athletes). It's not like a versatility attribute or whatever.

As far as transferring over to other positions, I don't know. I'd hope so. Then again, when you changed players to different positions on NCAA 11 that seemed to make sense at first glance their ratings would always take an unnecessary unrealistic drop off afterwards so... maybe not.
The frustrating part for me was seeing ATH that were maybe 6'0, 200 pounds, and their best position was DT... as if I"ll ever put someone that size there. Hopefully the SPARQ rating helps that out somehow.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #21
Rookie

nighttrain32's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26841
Isn't the SPARQ 100 in the game just the top 100 players in the recruiting pool still? So it really doesn't matter, they just changed the name basically.
Yes they replaced the names but in real life, a guy could get a top SPARQ rating and not play well because he is only good at the measurable attributes and not good on the field. If the SPARQ rating was used in conjunction with the ESPN Top 100 I would have any gripes. Hypothetically I could get a 1 star player who tested very high in the SPARQ category but he is a role player or I could get a 5 star player with an average SPARQ rating but he is a superstar. The SPARQ rating doesn't calculate a player's catching, awareness, tackling, blocking, etc. It only tests 40, 3 cone, vertical and medicine ball throw.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #22
Banned

gregp17's Arena

Quote:
Yes they replaced the names but in real life, a guy could get a top SPARQ rating and not play well because he is only good at the measurable attributes and not good on the field. If the SPARQ rating was used in conjunction with the ESPN Top 100 I would have any gripes. Hypothetically I could get a 1 star player who tested very high in the SPARQ category but he is a role player or I could get a 5 star player with an average SPARQ rating but he is a superstar. The SPARQ rating doesn't calculate a player's catching, awareness, tackling, blocking, etc. It only tests 40, 3 cone, vertical and medicine ball throw.
Yes, exactly. Some of the players who have gotten high SPARQ ratings, havent been elite football players. It should change the way you recruit because if this guy has a high SPARQ rating, does that mean he has other good ratings as well? You really have to pick and choose because you can get a high athleticism guy but his skills wouldnt necessarily transfer to the gridiron, or you can get that superstar QB who isnt the most athletic person in the class.

If it doesnt make sense what I just said, dont be concerned, it sounded wierd to me too.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, but I don't think the SPARQ 100 lists the 100 recruits with the highest SPARQ ratings. If that was the case, then yeah, that'd be really stupid because there are some freak athletes that may have no football skill whatsoever. But it's listing the top 100 players in the country still I'm pretty sure, like...

1. QB - 87 SPARQ
2. RB - 101 SPARQ
3. WR - 90 SPARQ

The name is just throwing everyone off... I think that's how it (hopefully) works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioTROFFski
The frustrating part for me was seeing ATH that were maybe 6'0, 200 pounds, and their best position was DT... as if I"ll ever put someone that size there. Hopefully the SPARQ rating helps that out somehow.
Yeah, I'm big for realism so that always annoyed me. That, and the 5-11 315 pound 5 star left tackle or the 5-11, 170 power back. Their heights and weights are all screwed up a lot of the time. I'd love for them to fix this. Even a 6-2 lineman player is more than likely not going to get a chance at left or right tackle for a D-1 team, that's just unrealistic.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #24
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

I think it can be a useful tool. The speed/agility/acceleration of a player generally doesn't progress that much over the course of their career in NCAA Football so if you really like to have raw athletes and then "coach them up" (offseason player progression for other traits) this would be good to have.

I'd reserve judgement for how useful it will be until you get your hands on the game. Would be a fun thing to run some tests on

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »