Home

Chess not checkers/Cleats not iceskates. The problem with weight/mass.

This is a discussion on Chess not checkers/Cleats not iceskates. The problem with weight/mass. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #73
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Chess not checkers/Cleats not iceskates. The problem with weight/mass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
Ahh. There's that phrase "steered like a boat" that I spoke about earlier in this thread. If your running full speed ahead, you actually do "steer like a boat". Its more of a slow gradual turn.

"I'm like a boat! I'm like a boat! Everybody look at me 'cause I'm runnin' like a boat!"

Sorry, there's just been so much "boat" talk that I finally couldn't help myself. But to make this post on topic, yes, human beings running at full speed have to make rounded turns similar to ... well ... boats.

Last edited by Pokes404; 07-05-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #74
Pro

PRAY IV M3RCY's Arena

OVR: 4

TAKE OFF THE ICE SKATES..PUT BACK ON THE CLEATS!

i mean seriously anybody saying this isnt a big deal is obviously apart of the problem..Its like ea isnt geared toward creating a pure sim football game..it boggles my mind with the amount of ppl who have grown and gotten use to a game that doesnt account for the laws of phsyics..i dont know what ea thinks but weight and momemtum in a foot ball game is just as important and maybe even more than fixing zone coverage..gameflow..no suction tackling..pre game intros..heading into next year this better be on the top of the list..And the more ppl push for this i think the better chance the dev actually hear us out..but than again..ea did try and come out with nba elite..which gave us "control" but not basketball so who knows how dedicated ea is at giving us a realistic football game..i dont trust them..i hope i eat my words
Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #75
MVP

OVR: 0

I would suggest having two settings.

1. An arcade setting for the online players who just want to zip around the field fantasy style.

2. A realism setting which brings back the real player locomotion that this game was built off of. Oh, and with the sprint animation added back in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #76
Rookie

OVR: 6

This really needs to be fixed, it's a big problem for us sim gamers.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #77
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Of all the problems with the game, this is BY FAR the most glaring. Until they get this aspect of the game right (or at least vastly improved), this series will continue to fall short of where it should be. I was encouraged by the new locomotion system last year because, even though it wasn't implemented very well, I thought it was their first step towards getting realistic player movement back into the game. But when I saw how little they improved upon it this year, it really made me wonder if they are willing to change it. I'm guessing it has something to do with them not wanting to frustrate "casual" players and little kids because their guy doesn't instantly go where they want him to go. But that's real life. Guys running at full speed simply can't make a sharp cut. You can either slow down and make a sharp cut, or you can maintain your speed and round off your turn. But you can't do both.

Back on the PS2, you had to understand angles and really know how to maneuver your player to be successful. That's why I consider this game more of an arcade style of game than a simulation. The physics of how players move is no small detail. As long as it remains this "twitchy" and unrealistic, the gameplay will always have an arcadish feel and fail to replicate the sport to the degree that it should.
I see this has been talked about in depth. I was getting slightly irritated because I thought everyone was ignoring the issue reference the lack of responses in my recent thread about this. Major problem here that needs to be corrected.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #78
MVP

With the new dev team in place and Cam Weber on the lead pushing realism, this is sure to be addressed correct?

Looks like no joy in Madden/NCAA13, as all the videos I've seen have the players still rotating on that weird turntable.

We absolutely must get this back in 2014. The additions to both titles are looking good but the player movement is the essence.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #79
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY IV M3RCY
TAKE OFF THE ICE SKATES..PUT BACK ON THE CLEATS!

i mean seriously anybody saying this isnt a big deal is obviously apart of the problem..Its like ea isnt geared toward creating a pure sim football game..it boggles my mind with the amount of ppl who have grown and gotten use to a game that doesnt account for the laws of phsyics..i dont know what ea thinks but weight and momemtum in a foot ball game is just as important and maybe even more than fixing zone coverage..gameflow..no suction tackling..pre game intros..heading into next year this better be on the top of the list..And the more ppl push for this i think the better chance the dev actually hear us out..but than again..ea did try and come out with nba elite..which gave us "control" but not basketball so who knows how dedicated ea is at giving us a realistic football game..i dont trust them..i hope i eat my words
I bolded that part of your statement because EA Sports has NEVER been about "pure sim". Why people THINK that's the case here is beyond me. And I know this is an unpopular opinion on OS, where the "hardcores" hang out, but generally, pure sim sports games aren't fun. They just aren't.

Making the gameplay MAKE sense does not mean it needs to "real". The truth is, the majority of people who buy sports games don't buy them to get a real experience, they buy it so they can create their own experience and have fun doing it. Most fans didn't go to Bama or Texas or USC, where in reality, their teams win more often than not. Most of us go to schools where we don't win, so on the weekends, with free time, yea, I wanna pop in my crappy school and make them into something great.

I agree, the player movement the newer gen games is horrible, particularly on those out route catches. But I'm not a proponent of sucking the enjoyment out of the game....
Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #80
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuseGirl
I agree, the player movement the newer gen games is horrible, particularly on those out route catches. But I'm not a proponent of sucking the enjoyment out of the game....
So ... making a football game more like football will suck out the enjoyment for football fans? Gamers can still play on easier difficulties and beat down LSU in Death Valley with Akron if that's what they're looking for. The players will simply move more realistically while doing it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »