Home

There's a Fine Line

This is a discussion on There's a Fine Line within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Why Not Us?

The_Wise_One's Arena

OVR: 27
There's a Fine Line

Common "wishes" for future NCAA games pertaining to presentation include realistic crowds, enhanced commentary, half-time breakdowns and even weekly wrap up shows. Some like myself believe that dynamic crowd would be a brilliant idea if done correctly while others stamp these features as the infamous "fluff" that would waste time and money. There is a fine line between these polar opposites. So my question is...what makes a difference to you with presentation and what do u want to see? And on the other hand, what aspects make you smash the A button to skip?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Rookie

jcabler24's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: There's a Fine Line

I know after seeing the entrances once or twice it will be getting skipped every time i play the game.

Im a Longhorn fan, but seeing Bevo before every game will lose its luster quickly
Dallas Mavericks
Follow me @JeremyCabler
Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Pro

OpusX910's Arena

OVR: 7

No matter how good presentation is done, i'll be skipping it after a couple of times seeing it. Working on the gameplay is more important imo.

I see it like this...EA loses customers because of poor gameplay, and they don't gain any new customers from improved presentation. But if they improved the gameplay they would gain new customers, and not lose any because of lack of presentation.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

I will watch the entrances a couple of times for sure. The community has been asking for years for improved atmosphere then, they finally really put fourth a great effort to do so and it gets described as "fluff".

Abhor's going to abhor, I guess. I for one, I'm glad that they're there for when I do want to see them. I don't really care to see any sort of weekly highlight show any time soon. I'd rather them add dynamic commentary as well as, more stat overlays before any sort of shows.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 07-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX910
No matter how good presentation is done, i'll be skipping it after a couple of times seeing it. Working on the gameplay is more important imo.

I see it like this...EA loses customers because of poor gameplay, and they don't gain any new customers from improved presentation. But if they improved the gameplay they would gain new customers, and not lose any because of lack of presentation.
I don't see how the ART TEAM working on GAMEPLAY is effective but, that's just me.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
I don't see how the ART TEAM working on GAMEPLAY is effective but, that's just me.
It's not, but if for example, you can hire 10 new employees and because you want to do all these fancy entrances, you hire 8 new art employees and 2 new gameplay employees, which do you think has less improvement? It seems that too many people use this whole "but it's not the gameplay team" argument, but it's not like they have unlimited resources.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
Rookie

vatopa09's Arena

OVR: 2

it all comes down to gameplay. A Dynamic crowd adds to the fun/intensity of the gameplay. College hoops 2k8 had great halftime shows, post game shows, a weekly wrapup, even a show that wraped up the season and which bubble teams made the tourney and stuff. But after a season you tend to skip these features because all you really wanna do is recruit and play.

I think adding a lot of details and stuff makes the game more realistic like improving the players on the sidelines from ncaa 11 but I would rather they make it so the game doesnt know which play I picked thus calling their play accordingly....I hate how I could call a 5 wide qb draw and the cpu lines up in a 4-3 and blitzes thats stupid
Old 07-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
Rookie

aerovt's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
I will watch the entrances a couple of times for sure. The community has been asking for years for improved atmosphere then, they finally really put fourth a great effort to do so and it gets described as "fluff".
What they did is 'fluff' that will be skipped by me. If it was made somehow dynamic and not the same scene every time, I might watch it. But I doubt they can do that for entrances, and I really dont want to watch the same unenthusiastic clip over and over when I know it never changes.

Little things they could do to add to the presentation would be to show the stats of a player while the teams are lining up/right after a play if the player is doing well. They used to have this I believe, and it should be really easy to add back in.

That said, gameplay is first. The artist should work on things that are part of the gameplay, and dont interrupt it (ie dynamic crowds would be noticed, but seeing it doesnt keep you from playing)

Last edited by aerovt; 07-04-2011 at 10:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »