Home

I am a high school football coach

This is a discussion on I am a high school football coach within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #33
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: I am a high school football coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Kirby
Just from the film study I have done I have maybe 2 really good players. 1 played TE and DE last year and 1 played WR and CB. He had 5 catches total last year. Not because he has bad hands but the coach never threw the ball. My current plan is to move him to QB. He's a decent sized kid (6 ft around 190). There are a few basketball players I am trying to recruit and 1 baseball player. There are a few decent players that mostly play the OL and DL spots and calling them decent is being kind.
Yeah, the Auburn/Mississippi St offenses get the ball in the hands of their playmakers. In both offenses there are a lot of H Back sets and QB run plays.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 0

I see a few asking about our Region. Talent wise, there are probably 3 schools with far more talent than us and 3 school with just a little more talent and 1 school equal to our talent.

On the defense reply: We will run a base 34 and I will rush 6 out of this at all times. I am basing this off what some highly thought of defensive minded coaches have said. It may be a mistake, but if we are going to get beat we are going to do it being aggressive.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #35
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats302
I would not recommend blitzing a lot if you only have a couple of talented players on D that are above decent quality. If you have a below average team, the best way to stay in a game with a more talented team is to make them drive long drives to beat you, not blitz so they can have some really quick scoring chances that take up no clock. I'd say ball control offense to churn the clock on offense for your team, until you build up more talent.

The unfortunate thing about coaching in high school is it's all about where you are location wise. You are either blessed with a great zoning area for good athletics or are in a crappy location. You cannot recruit anywhere like in college, you just have to hope you can recruit the best athletes in your school to compete and do well.
Laying back against Spread teams will get you killed in HS football. I want to make the offenses to have to make quick decisions. I want to stop the run and make them beat me in the air. Bringing 6 against HS teams will hopefully accomplish both as most HS offensive lines cannot pick up blitzes very well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #36
Rookie

Vortex12's Arena

Are you coaching JV or Varsity?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #37
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Kirby
I see a few asking about our Region. Talent wise, there are probably 3 schools with far more talent than us and 3 school with just a little more talent and 1 school equal to our talent.

On the defense reply: We will run a base 34 and I will rush 6 out of this at all times. I am basing this off what some highly thought of defensive minded coaches have said. It may be a mistake, but if we are going to get beat we are going to do it being aggressive.
Can you schedule any OOC games? If so I'd recomend trying to schedule weaker teams to boost your teams confidence and to build excitement. Although Im guessing housing really have much of a say in scheduling...
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
Can you schedule any OOC games? If so I'd recomend trying to schedule weaker teams to boost your teams confidence and to build excitement. Although Im guessing housing really have much of a say in scheduling...
Yea, this is what the football team did at my school the first couple years I was there. They won only 4 games my freshmen year, but they put up 40, 50, 60 points on small 1A and 2A schools from the delta and Memphis. When they finally got them off the schedule, they were scoring 80 and 90 points against them and were winning 12 games a season; didn't need them anymore. But when you are trying to get wins on the board, if you can get weaker schools on the schedule, do it. Gives you a chance to try things out. If they don't work against the undersized schools, they sure aren't going to work in conference.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #39
Rookie

Freakydeaky9's Arena

OVR: 2

You say you want to incorporate the spread but I also suggest running some pistol. Out here in Reno (4A town) my high school uses spread but then incorporates from Nevada and we come close to winning state. As far as i'm concerned the spread/pistol mix is good.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #40
Rookie

I don't think using NCAA is going to be your best option in real life, IMHO.

Sure, you have routes and such, but what about offensive line assignments, defensive assignments, etc. Those variables aren't displayed on the EA sports playbook, only one version of the play is.

If you already know about all that I guess it wouldn't be too bad, but I think this has disaster written all over it.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »