Home

I am a high school football coach

This is a discussion on I am a high school football coach within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #65
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: I am a high school football coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Kirby
Laying back against Spread teams will get you killed in HS football. I want to make the offenses to have to make quick decisions. I want to stop the run and make them beat me in the air. Bringing 6 against HS teams will hopefully accomplish both as most HS offensive lines cannot pick up blitzes very well.
True! Very true.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #66
Rookie

bakerpa25's Arena

OVR: 6

I am a Jr at a school in Arkansas and how I learned our playbook back in 7th grade and I have known it ever since is I bought a previous version of Madden (07 I think) were you could draw up custom plays and I entered them in there. I then made our team in create a team so I ended up playing video games and learning the plays at the same time.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #67
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

I have to laugh at all of the people who are going for the simplest is best approach on offense. How many points do you put up a game running 8 plays? More importantly, how many state titles or even region titles do you have?

Yeah, the simple playbooks work fine if you are an option team. Easy to learn, easy to run. Or if you are one of the gawd awful spread teams that depends on a qb that should by a running back or a wr and is simply faster than everyone else on the field? (I am not saying spread teams dont win sometimes...but not in Georgia, at least not lately. Dont believe me? Go watch the film from Lowndes VS North Gwinnett in the 5A state championship. Brutal.)

I grew up in the Wing T system. I ran it every day from 5th grade onward, until I graduated high school. When all was said and done I could tell you the rules for any of the offensive linemen on any play. And we ran considerably more than 5 plays. Did we win alot? No. We had little to no talent and were plagued by injuries.

Now, I coach the same offense at a far more talented school. We demand that the kids learn the offense to perfection. And they do. 03,08,09. State Champs. Running a very complicated offense and putting huge numbers up. and this is 5A football.

Now, I do not mean to offend anyone. That was not my intent. But, implying that the boys and young men that you coach are incapable of learning a varied offensive scheme is garbage. Coaching. Is. The. Key. To any scheme.

Coach Kirby, the best thing I can advise you to do (and this is coming from a guy who is a coaches kid who grew up in a field house and has seen some great teams come and go) is to establish a feeder program soon. Get the kids learning your scheme young. Have them running it from the time that they are in elementary school until they arrive under those lights. When they get to you, they should be ready, their skills will be somewhat refined, and you will not have to spend their entire freshmen and sophomore years breaking them into a new system. That is how successful teams are born.

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #68
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

My brother is a head coach at the college level. He can not recommend HUDL enough.. If you have an iPad there's an app for it on the iPad as well.

Really, really valuable tool.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #69
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaticus
I have to laugh at all of the people who are going for the simplest is best approach on offense. How many points do you put up a game running 8 plays? More importantly, how many state titles or even region titles do you have?
A lot of teams have had a ton of success running a few simple plays..Albeit with different formations and personnel grouping but the same base bread and butter plays. Look at the Dallas Cowboys winning SB's in the Jimmie Johnson era. They had 4 basic run plays for the most part and then a passing game plan for each week. Look at the run and shoot. There's about 10 total plays that true R&S teams use.

I am a firm believer at the HS level or any level for that matter of having a small grouping of plays and simply 'outformationing' you're opponent.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #70
Rookie

Vortex12's Arena

OVR: 0

That is true, my high school primarily runs an I-Form Triple-Option based offense. Option systems are less complex and have less plays. If you aren't counting that we have a different call for left and right, my school has about 5-8 run plays, and 10 pass plays, but most of the pass plays have the same blocking and mirror routes.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #71
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaticus

Yeah, the simple playbooks work fine if you are an option team. Easy to learn, easy to run. Or if you are one of the gawd awful spread teams that depends on a qb that should by a running back or a wr and is simply faster than everyone else on the field? (I am not saying spread teams dont win sometimes...but not in Georgia, at least not lately. Dont believe me? Go watch the film from Lowndes VS North Gwinnett in the 5A state championship. Brutal.)

I grew up in the Wing T system. I ran it every day from 5th grade onward, until I graduated high school. When all was said and done I could tell you the rules for any of the offensive linemen on any play. And we ran considerably more than 5 plays. Did we win alot? No. We had little to no talent and were plagued by injuries.

Now, I coach the same offense at a far more talented school. We demand that the kids learn the offense to perfection. And they do. 03,08,09. State Champs. Running a very complicated offense and putting huge numbers up. and this is 5A football.

Now, I do not mean to offend anyone. That was not my intent. But, implying that the boys and young men that you coach are incapable of learning a varied offensive scheme is garbage. Coaching. Is. The. Key. To any scheme.

Coach Kirby, the best thing I can advise you to do (and this is coming from a guy who is a coaches kid who grew up in a field house and has seen some great teams come and go) is to establish a feeder program soon. Get the kids learning your scheme young. Have them running it from the time that they are in elementary school until they arrive under those lights. When they get to you, they should be ready, their skills will be somewhat refined, and you will not have to spend their entire freshmen and sophomore years breaking them into a new system. That is how successful teams are born.

I think you are on point, across the board. I am a huge proponent of having the same playbook, same terminology, same culture from Jr. high, through Frosh/JV ball all the way to varsity.

Great points throughout this post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #72
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo6911
No offense, but I feel sorry for your kids.

Here are some real playbooks for free:

http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/?page_id=13

Scroll down for HS.
Thanks for this link. Looking at the playbooks from different era's can give a great look at the evolution of the game.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »