Home

The Pistol Offense

This is a discussion on The Pistol Offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
Banned

Lear Pilot's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: The Pistol Offense

NCAA 11 was the first time that I really had any success with the pistol, I'd tried it before, but had very little success.

At first it didn't work very well at all, then I finally found a strategy that worked well. Some would call it cheese, I call it using a smart QB. The strategy is pretty simple, I like the unbalanced formations and the 3-4 WR formations. Call a play, then adjust the play to hit the defense where they are out numbered.

Running plays - Call the play, see how the defense lines up, and then adjust accordingly. If the defense crowds the middle, run outside. If the defense is spread out, run up the gut (especially effective with 4 WR formations). I look for any spot that I have more players than the defense and run toward that spot. In NCAA 11 the read option and option were basically useless.

Passing plays - Pretty standard, use un-balanced formations to help determine man or zone coverage and know how that specific play will work against a man or zone defense. Play action passes would actually work, specifically the bootleg's. The key was to let the QB go through the ENTIRE animation before taking control of him. If you took control of the QB just after the fake handoff, the defense would crash down on him and get the sack. HB screens worked too, especially on the unbalanced formations.

I was able to run for 300+ yards per game, or pass for 300+ per game. I like balance, so I'd normally aim for 250 passing and 200 running.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

I like the Pistol because its a good ball control offense. If you like pounding the ball, its good. Id rather use this then a shotgun spread but I wish NCAA 11 had custom playbooks because there are a few pistol formations that I would use instead of running a "pure" pistol offense. Its really a compromise for the spread cause like I stated earlier its easier to run the ball.

Also have two really good Tight Ends, makes running the ball and and short passing game alot better.

THIS IS... ALABAMA FOOTBALL

Last edited by BamaBoy09; 07-11-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

I love the pistol. Its a good mix between the spread and the more traditional power o's. Its very easy to get your runningbacks going downhill and pick up 3-4 yards per play. Also counters and power plays can be lethal.

Just run the offense like the spread, but you get the added benefit of more effective running plays (at least in NCAA 11).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 AM   #12
Rookie

Freakydeaky9's Arena

OVR: 2
Thumbs up Re: The Pistol Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorBearBryant
I've hated the pistol in the past. I know the basic premise of the pistol, but I haven't been able to get it to work for me.

Can anyone go in-depth on how it's best used in real life? And then how it's best used in NCAA12?
For all that want to know how it works. (The pistol was created by Nevada so I have good knowledge of it)

Real Life: The RB lines up behind the QB 2-3 YDS back. Mainly a run first offense that strive on running for short-medium gains up the middle. it's deadly because the RB can cut left, right, or out depending on where the hole is. Works better then the option because your closer to the line of scrimmage and you can read the defense. But also works with the shotgun formation. Provides good pass protection for the RB/FB. Really effective for 2-3 runs for a first down. (Also capable of fooling the defense if you get and End Around or a Double/Triple Reverse, See the Boise State Rishard Matthews run)Very good for a dual threat QB with good RB's and TE's. Such as (Kaepernick QB, Taua RB, and Virgil Green TE.) The one downside is the risk of the holding penalties. In 09' Nevada was the only team to have 3 1000+ yd rushers and was 2nd in total rush offense. Also if you want good evaluations look up game footage from CAL and Boise.

IN NCAA 12: The pistol is best run with teams that primarily use it. If you see HB Blasts and HB Stings that call for up the middle run them. Set your OL to aggressive up front and your WR's to block the directions. Your not always going to have huge 30+ yards runs. But if you set your formation that way with proper shifts expect 7-10 YDS. Also if the defense catches on adjust accordingly. Option works well with Nevada because of the dual threat and the stats are all solid "B's" now so it may work better. Also if the D catches on to the runs, Don't be afraid to call a passing play. I usually run on 1st down and evaluate from there.

If you guys want to see how I run it feel free to message me on XBL tomorrow. GT Sullivan 775
NCAA #1: Nevada Wolf Pack
NCAA #2: UCLA Bruins
NFL: Denver Broncos
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: Portland Trailblazers

Last edited by Freakydeaky9; 07-12-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:16 AM   #13
Banned

JSHT21's Arena

OVR: 3

The full house formation is beast... playing my first game now. SCAR at Clemson. Tied 7 to 7 at half... they scored on 70 yard run that was bs... on my part not the game.. I had Lattimore in the backfield and over pursued, then missed a tackle..

I went with the full house pistol ran the sweep with Mike Bellamy ( I have an awesome pic of his first touch plowing over two guys. )... waited a few series, ran the sweep again, then the triple option out of it... then ran the PA play the sweep sets up (Don't know the name) Then boom a 68 yard touchdown. That formation has some beautiful PA animations.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:20 AM   #14
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Might as well throw this question out there as it'd come eventually,what's the best way to defend it? Blitzing?
Old 07-12-2011, 02:30 AM   #15
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakydeaky9
For all that want to know how it works. (The pistol was created by Nevada so I have good knowledge of it)

Real Life: The RB lines up behind the QB 2-3 YDS back. Mainly a run first offense that strive on running for short-medium gains up the middle. it's deadly because the RB can cut left, right, or out depending on where the hole is. Works better then the option because your closer to the line of scrimmage and you can read the defense. But also works with the shotgun formation. Provides good pass protection for the RB/FB. Really effective for 2-3 runs for a first down. (Also capable of fooling the defense if you get and End Around or a Double/Triple Reverse, See the Boise State Rishard Matthews run)Very good for a dual threat QB with good RB's and TE's. Such as (Kaepernick QB, Taua RB, and Virgil Green TE.) The one downside is the risk of the holding penalties. In 09' Nevada was the only team to have 3 1000+ yd rushers and was 2nd in total rush offense. Also if you want good evaluations look up game footage from CAL and Boise.

IN NCAA 12: The pistol is best run with teams that primarily use it. If you see HB Blasts and HB Stings that call for up the middle run them. Set your OL to aggressive up front and your WR's to block the directions. Your not always going to have huge 30+ yards runs. But if you set your formation that way with proper shifts expect 7-10 YDS. Also if the defense catches on adjust accordingly. Option works well with Nevada because of the dual threat and the stats are all solid "B's" now so it may work better. Also if the D catches on to the runs, Don't be afraid to call a passing play. I usually run on 1st down and evaluate from there.

If you guys want to see how I run it feel free to message me on XBL tomorrow. GT Sullivan 775
Thanks for that post. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2011, 02:52 AM   #16
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

had the game for a few days and really impressed with the pistol. im a power runner, not so much option and im finding that the formations with the fb in it also are the best for running. excluding option. I really like train and strong slot. very good running formations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »