Home

Promotion/Relegation? Pogo's custom conferences for NCAA12

This is a discussion on Promotion/Relegation? Pogo's custom conferences for NCAA12 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
BOOM!

gerg1234's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Promotion/Relegation? Pogo's custom conferences for NCAA12

I'm doing the same thing. I'm at work so I can't share my set up....but I'm just simming until some good rosters come out. After the second season Miami (OH) is in the top tier.

Florida fell to the second tier and didn't make it back up after the second season!
San Francisco Giants
Chicago Blackhawks
MLS: Portland Timbers
EPL: Liverpool FC
Old 07-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Rookie

BurnsideAdmiral's Arena

OVR: 0

Hmmm pretty sweet idea. I think I'd make it more EPL style though and do 3 teams to relegate/promote. But those "conference" sizes are a bit bigger so maybe two? Put a little more emphasis on it?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsideAdmiral
Hmmm pretty sweet idea. I think I'd make it more EPL style though and do 3 teams to relegate/promote. But those "conference" sizes are a bit bigger so maybe two? Put a little more emphasis on it?
EPL (and Euro soccer in other nations) promotes/relegates 3 teams. However the leagues are definitely bigger.

In England, the Premier League is 20 teams. The Championship League, League 1, and League 2 are each 24 teams.

I think you could promote/relegate 2 teams and be fine, but I feel like 3 teams (25% of the top conference, 30% of the bottom conference) is too much, particularly with such a short season.

Soccer promotes/relegates 12.5%/15% of their leagues and they play a 38 or 46 game regular season (everyone plays everyone twice) to determine who goes up or down.

In the lower conference, sure, you're playing everyone once, but only once. You don't get a home and away.

In the upper conference, you're only guaranteed to play everyone in your division. You're therefore guaranteed to have a different schedule of teams than all 6 teams in the opposite division (while you could have the same, or similar enough schedule as teams in your division).

Therefore, I don't think 2 is such a big problem if perhaps you take the two worst teams from each division.

By the way, speaking of soccer, even though it's not a play-off or anything, doesn't this system make the BCS bowls feel a bit like Champions League?

Oh, and speaking of the BCS bowls... I didn't leave any bowls tied to any specific league. The five top conferences have Automatic Qualifiers, so they're all guaranteed to go. And like I said, the rest of the spots should automatically be filled from the top conferences, at least after a few seasons. Boise State might nab one in the first season, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Pretty cool idea...except I can definitely see instances where two teams continue to swap conferences multiple straight years.

ie - the worst Big Ten school continues to win the MAC to get back into the Big Ten and the MAC school who just got promoted drops right back down from having the worst record
Old 07-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 8

Hey Pogo, have you done a test run of this dynasty yet? I've noticed some serious schedule issues in my custom conference test dynasty and cannot believe no one else on here has noticed any.(Maybe it's just my copy lol if so I'm taking this dumb thing back and getting another!).

I keep seeing 12 team conferences schedule 9, 10,(even 11 once) conference games. Then again, I was running with 8 12 team leagues...that may have led to said issue. Just frustrating for those of us who wanna make some more championship games.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
Rookie

frnkpw13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
I've long thought the solution to the non-BCS conference teams complaints about BCS bowl bids was pretty simple: adopt the European soccer style system of promotion and relegation.

For those that don't know, the promotion/relegation system takes the bottom team in the top conference and replaces them with the top team from the bottom conference (in soccer, it's 3 teams at a time out of a league of 20).

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to do this with NCAA 12, and here's the system I came up with. I'll be using it for one of my offline dynasties and probably doing an online dynasty using this system as well.

First thing's first. In NCAA 12, there are 11 division 1 conferences. You can't delete conferences and you can't add new conferences. So there's an oddman out. I created 5 top conferences (BCS Conferences) and each has a Feeder Conference tied to it. Additionally, there's an extra 11th conference. In my version, it's somewhat regionalized, but basically it's the extra teams that don't really fit that well in my system (and they're all mostly pretty bad teams). This 11th conference stays the same.

The 5 top BCS conferences each have 12 teams. The 5 feeder conferences each have 10 teams. I did this to ensure every BCS conference has a championship game. I also wanted the feeder conferences to ensure every team played each other, and 10 teams minimizes their OOC schedule. Each BCS conference is absolutely locked to it's feeder conference. So for example, the Pac-12 and WAC will always promote/relegate to each other and no other conference. This keeps the conferences regionally appropriate.

So here are the BCS-Feeder conference ties.

Pac-12 relegates to WAC
Big 12 relegates to MWC
SEC relegates to C-USA
Big Ten relegates to MAC
ACC relegates to Big East
Sun Belt is the extra conference.
Army & Navy remain independents.

I suppose if you really wanted, if a team in a bottom conference was playing consistently bad year in year out, you could eventually replace them from one of the left overs in the Sun Belt (if it's regionally appropriate).

Anyway, here are the teams in their conferences. I tried to change as little as I could with the top conferences, but the only two left completely unchanged are the Pac12 and the SEC.

BCS Conference: Pac-12
Arizona
Arizona State
Cal
Colorado
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Utah
Washington
Washington State

Their feeder conference: WAC
BYU
Boise State
Fresno State
Hawai'i
Idaho
Nevada
San Diego State
San Jose State
UNLV
Utah State

BCS Conference: Big 12
Baylor
Houston
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Their feeder conference: MWC
Air Force
Colorado State
New Mexico
New Mexico State
North Texas
Rice
SMU
Tulsa
Utep
Wyoming

BCS Conference: Big Ten
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Northwestern
Ohio State
Purdue
Wisconsin

Their feeder conference: MAC
Bowling Green
Central Michigan
Cincinnati
Eastern Michigan
Kent State
Louisville
Miami (Ohio)
Ohio
Toledo
Western Michigan

BCS Conference: SEC
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
LSU
Kentucky
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Their feeder conference: C-USA
Arkansas State
Louisiana Tech
Memphis
Southern Miss
Troy
UAB
UCF
UL Lafeyette
UL Monroe
USF

BCS Conference: ACC
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Miami (Fla.)
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Penn State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Their feeder conference: Big East
Buffalo
Connecticut
Duke
ECU
Marshall
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
West Virginia

The leftovers: Sun Belt
Akron
Ball State
FIU
Florida Atlantic
Midd Tenn State
Northern Illinois
Tulane
Western Kentucky

The leftovers: Independents
Army
Navy

So the goal would be, each season, to promote the champion from the feeder conference and demote the team with the worst record in the BCS conference. Divisions in the top conference would be scrambled every year because geography would be hard to manage with the constant promotion and relegation. But using this system, the top conference should absolutely be very strong.

The main flaw I see is that the MAC is pretty weak compared to the Big Ten and just in general compared to the other feeder conferences, but without doing anything odd geographically, I'm not sure there's much I can do to help this...
Love the idea! My only suggestions that makes sense to me is to switch Georgia and South Carolina (SEC) with Florida State and Miami (ACC). what do you think?
National Champions 1958, 2003, 2007, 2019

Old 07-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
MVP

TheDutchDad's Arena

OVR: 12

Are we able to change conference alignment after each season? I simmed some last night but didn't see that option.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus34
Pretty cool idea...except I can definitely see instances where two teams continue to swap conferences multiple straight years.

ie - the worst Big Ten school continues to win the MAC to get back into the Big Ten and the MAC school who just got promoted drops right back down from having the worst record
I don't really see this as a problem. I mean, I doubt it would happen, even if it does, it's not that big of a deal I don't think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats302
Hey Pogo, have you done a test run of this dynasty yet? I've noticed some serious schedule issues in my custom conference test dynasty and cannot believe no one else on here has noticed any.(Maybe it's just my copy lol if so I'm taking this dumb thing back and getting another!).

I keep seeing 12 team conferences schedule 9, 10,(even 11 once) conference games. Then again, I was running with 8 12 team leagues...that may have led to said issue. Just frustrating for those of us who wanna make some more championship games.
No. I'm waiting for named rosters before I start any dynasties. And even then... I play through my dynasties. It'll probably be Sunday or Monday before I get to my first off-season. If not, later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkpw13
Love the idea! My only suggestions that makes sense to me is to switch Georgia and South Carolina (SEC) with Florida State and Miami (ACC). what do you think?
Sure, it's up to you. This would make Florida a purely SEC state, while Georgia and South Carolina become purely ACC states. It's not really realistic (then again, none of this is), but it definitely works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial23
Are we able to change conference alignment after each season? I simmed some last night but didn't see that option.
I don't know from first hand experience, but I believe other posters on the forums have confirmed that you can change conference alignment, and my friend simmed an online dynasty season to verify coaching carousel for OD and he also found where to chance conference alignment, I believe.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »